Ford Explorer HID Conversion Kits - Installation Guide | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer HID Conversion Kits - Installation Guide

Mr_Wiggles

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012
Hello All,

I have been trying to find one on here... however i am failing miserably - I just cant seem to find anything !:scratch:

Can someone point me in the right direction or let me know of the link??

I am looking to get the HID conversion kit and install them myself. I have a 2012 Explorer Base model.

Thanks in Advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the forums. The kits are plug and play so its all a matter of disconnecting your current bulbs and replacing them with the HID kit. The connectors on the ballasts all have different connectors except two. Just follow the wires on the ballasts and it's a breeze. if one of the two connections that are the same don't turn the bulb on, switch the connections and it will turn on.

Yup, very easy. Hardest part is finding where to tuck all the wiring and ballast out of the way.

Thank you very much Guys!

I was looking at buying one of these:

Ebay item1

Ebay item 2

looking at 6000K or 8000K

Has anyone bought any of these ebay items...and are they any good?

I will be buying and having them shipped to Dubai [I have checked here and the prices are pretty high!!]

Thank you very much Guys!

I was looking at buying one of these:

Ebay item1

Ebay item 2

looking at 6000K or 8000K

Has anyone bought any of these ebay items...and are they any good?

I will be buying and having them shipped to Dubai [I have checked here and the prices are pretty high!!]

Mr wiggles

I went with the G1K-9005 (6000k) kit from cooolbulbs.com, it cost more than the kits you are looking at, but they work perfect even on auto.
They took me less than 1/2 hour to install, as other's have said the hard part is hiding the wiring.

Brian

Mr wiggles

I went with the G1K-9005 (6000k) kit from cooolbulbs.com, it cost more than the kits you are looking at, but they work perfect even on auto.
They took me less than 1/2 hour to install, as other's have said the hard part is hiding the wiring.

Brian

Do you have any pics of them installed. I'm looking at getting 6k for my HIDs too. So I'm assuming the headlights don't have to come off? can somebody correct me if Im wrong.

no headlights do not have to come off. also i would go with a 5000k to 5500k, 6000k has quite a bit of blue.

Do you have any pics of them installed. I'm looking at getting 6k for my HIDs too. So I'm assuming the headlights don't have to come off? can somebody correct me if Im wrong.

Easy install, all done from the engine compartment, the headlights do not have to come off. I'v been real busy, no picks yet but the ones Renlentless has posted look like mine
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379171&page=2
Using the 6K bulbs from coolbulbs.com they are not blue as some of the other brands.

for the base stock headlights, it is really easy. pretty much plug and play

Thanks Guys.

Im looking at buying THIS ONE

Just one question, what is the bulb?
What is the bulb type??

9005 or 9008

Thanks Guys.

Im looking at buying THIS ONE

Just one question, what is the bulb?
What is the bulb type??

9005 or 9008

Mr Wiggles.

For the headlight you need a 9005 bulb, I went with a G1K-9005 (6000) kit from http://www.coolbulbs.com/HIDKits_body.asp
For the fog lights you need a H11 bulb, I went with a G1K-H11 (6000) kit. Both kits install easily and work perfect.

Good luck on your choice and install.

Brian

I picking up my '13 EXP Sport tomorrow and need HIDs ASAP! I'm afraid to buy those cheap HID kits seen on ebay so i have been looking at all options. I was going to do an entire retrofit with new lenses but, that might be overkill.

I'm thinking of going with the Morimoto HID kits in hte link below: http://shop.lightwerkz.net/Morimoto-Elite-HID-Systems

Welcome to the forum EffYoCouch. I know coolbulbs.com has a quality product that alot of guys are running on here. I'm running DDMtuning HIDs for my headlights and fogs and haven't had a problem. As to your retrofit lens question, you don't need to retrofit a whole new projector housing for the explorer. It's not needed. All you need is the HID kit itself.

Welcome to the forum EffYoCouch. I know coolbulbs.com has a quality product that alot of guys are running on here. I'm running DDMtuning HIDs for my headlights and fogs and haven't had a problem. As to your retrofit lens question, you don't need to retrofit a whole new projector housing for the explorer. It's not needed. All you need is the HID kit itself.

Thanks! Thanks for the info on the retrofit...i figured it was pointless. I will just get the HID kit and call it a day.

Anybody have pictures showing how and where they mounted the ballasts?

I ziptied mine. I found a sturdy or a a hole and ziptied the loose wires through the hole. some have fabricated brackets for them. I wanted an non-time consuming alternative which is why I chose ziptie method.

Back