Hitch Pins as Sway-Bar Quick Disconnects? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hitch Pins as Sway-Bar Quick Disconnects?

robmurt04

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4WD
Yes, I searched and am pretty sure I got it, but before I go and spend money I just want to make sure I'm getting this correct.

You should be able to use a 1/2" x 3-1/2" Hitch Pin as a Sway-bar quick disconnect correct? Just have to unbolt the factory bolt, and slide the Hitch pin thru the bushing correct?
http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/70990/icn/20-597955/speeco/p700211.htm

Would this work for both front and rear sway bars since they both have the same setup pretty much?

ALSO! I currently have a 4" Lift and my sway bars are maxed out, noticed today I actually busted through a bushing. I'm planning on doing F150 coilseats and shackles, is it safe or effective to use sway-bar drop blocks on explorers? And any idea on what size or where to get them? Never heard of them before but my buddy suggested it.

Any help is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was gonna do the same thing for sway bar disconnects. as for the length being too short, newer F350 sway bar links from trucks with a solid front axle are about an inch longer than ones for our explorers. ive even thought of having someone make me a set of sway bar links, it wouldnt be too hard.

I think 1/2" is too big, I used a 7/16 pin in mine when I still had swaybars. I got too lazy to hook them back up and eventually took them off since my front tires rubbed it anyways. Also you only need to disconnect one side, also, disconacting the rear will probably not help at all, I was always able to get full stuff and droop with it hooked up and noticed no handling change by removing it, the front makes the biggest difference. Also try driving with them unhooked, you may find it doesn't bother you, I'm totally comfortable driving mine without them. Also most TTB lift springs are stiffer than stock so handling may be even better than with stock springs and no swaybars.

Yes, I searched and am pretty sure I got it, but before I go and spend money I just want to make sure I'm getting this correct.

You should be able to use a 1/2" x 3-1/2" Hitch Pin as a Sway-bar quick disconnect correct? Just have to unbolt the factory bolt, and slide the Hitch pin thru the bushing correct?
http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/70990/icn/20-597955/speeco/p700211.htm

Would this work for both front and rear sway bars since they both have the same setup pretty much?

ALSO! I currently have a 4" Lift and my sway bars are maxed out, noticed today I actually busted through a bushing. I'm planning on doing F150 coilseats and shackles, is it safe or effective to use sway-bar drop blocks on explorers? And any idea on what size or where to get them? Never heard of them before but my buddy suggested it.

Any help is appreciated!

Yea most good quality kits come with sway bar drop brackets or extended links. My 4in rough country kit did not come with them however they were optional for an additional fee.

Clevis Pin

I saw another dude on this site used clevis pins with lynch pins. I bought all the supplies from Home Depot and put it all on. It cost me about as much as one of your hitch pins will cost. It only took about 10 minutes to do, and that's only because I was installing a set of tow bar brackets at the same time. I"ll post pics later.

Back