List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 70 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Couple weeks ago while washing the 2017 sport (purchased Dec 2017) I noticed considerable hood bubbling on the front hood lip, I kick myself for not noticing this while under warranty. Our 2011 XLT has way less hood bubbling but I think partially it's because it has spend more of it's life inside our garage as opposed to the 2017 and the 2011 I would regulary wash it/wax it, the 2017, not so much....
I had wrongly assumed that by the 2017 MY they would have corrected this issue but I was dead wrong. I am totally done buying explorers (I did say that with the 2011, before we purchased the 2017 😆)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As per the TSB linked in post #1358, you should be covered. The '5 year warranty' would not have covered this anyway. Only 2016+ models have the 5 years, unlimited mileage warranty of aluminum panel corrosion.

Peter
Peter, so 2016+ models have 5 years for aluminum panel corrosion??? that means I should be covered under this warranty for the 2017? thanks!

Took my 2017 Sport in the last week of Sept 2021 to have the hood issue dealt with, all is covered and dealer will do the hood replacement next week. My build date was 10/2016 so I thought I should address it while I still can. Dealer told me that the 5 yr warranty starts from the day the original warranty took effect, which is the date the vehicle first drove off the lot. In my case that was Feb of 2017, so I actually had a 5 yr plus 4 month warranty!

The take away is ymmv, so don't procrastinate!

Peter, so 2016+ models have 5 years for aluminum panel corrosion??? that means I should be covered under this warranty for the 2017? thanks!
Yes, you are covered. It is mentioned in your Warranty Guide.

Peter

As far as rust on the hood, aren't the hoods aluminum on the new Explorer?
Aluminum and metal/steel. I heard the rust is because of a reaction to the metal and aluminum. My '08 XLT had bubbles and they swapped the hood out on that lease vehicle.

Aluminum and metal/steel. I heard the rust is because of a reaction to the metal and aluminum. My '08 XLT had bubbles and they swapped the hood out on that lease vehicle.
That would be corrosion. Aluminum does not rust. ;)
The corroding is a result of iron contamination of the panel prior to the painting process during production.

Peter

I found this "aluminum hood paint bubble" thread after a friend suggested I contact Ford about the bubble issue. Sure enough, my dealer immediately acknowledged that my 2018 Sport's hood was covered by the 5-year aluminum hood warranty. Dealer ordered a replacement hood from Ford, painted it and then called me to come have it installed. 1 hour after I showed up at the dealership's body shop, I drove away with a new, properly painted hood.

Thanks to all on this Forum who posted your resolutions of this issue. You collectively saved me lots of time and helped me avoid "hassles" from the dealership and/or FoMoCo.

Two weeks ago had the hood replaced on the '17 sport due to substantial bubbling on the front lip by the lettering. Covered under warranty, showed up and got new hood installed, paint color is a great match, can't really tell the difference. My five year warrant is up this December so needed to get it done sooner rather than later.
The '11 XLT has a perfect bubble free hod lip, go figure...

Did you guys get new underhood stickers with your new hoods? My dealer did not provide one for my 2018. I asked the shop about it and they said they ordered one. That was summer of 2020.

Did you guys get new underhood stickers with your new hoods? My dealer did not provide one for my 2018. I asked the shop about it and they said they ordered one. That was summer of 2020.
Yes, dealer ordered a new set of "EXPLORER" letters and sticked them to the hood.

Yes, dealer ordered a new set of "EXPLORER" letters and sticked them to the hood.
I think he meant the factory stickers that were on the inside front of the hood. He has an XLT which wouldn't have the hood EXPLORER letters.

Peter

Good for you guys that got it fixed. My '16 went into service at the end of 2015 and there's no coverage for mine. Luckily, it's only some paint blistering as of now..

I think he meant the factory stickers that were on the inside front of the hood. He has an XLT which wouldn't have the hood EXPLORER letters.

Peter
Oh, I totally missed his question! Yeah, we don't need no stinking underhood stickers! LOL

How easy was it done? Most the Ford dealers are body shop-less and are telling me go elsewhere. Was it out of pocket and fight to get it back?

How easy was it done? Most the Ford dealers are body shop-less and are telling me go elsewhere. Was it out of pocket and fight to get it back?
I'm not sure who the post was addressed to but it is a Ford warranty that covers it so a Ford/Lincoln dealer should take care of it. I doubt you can just go to any body shop and ask to have it replaced under Ford's warranty and requires their approval. Also, I believe most dealers have a body shop that they deal with. Almost sounds like they didn't want the job.

Peter

Thanks Peter....I wash it was. Both my dealer and Ford directly say it's not. A TSB isn't warranty coverage.
Thanks Peter...my in service date is in October of 2015...I'm well past any warranty on this vehicle. A TSB isn't necessarily a warrantable item. I have checked with both my dealer and a few calls to Ford.

Thanks Peter....I wash it was. Both my dealer and Ford directly say it's not. A TSB isn't warranty coverage.

Thanks Peter...my in service date is in October of 2015...I'm well past any warranty on this vehicle. A TSB isn't necessarily a warrantable item. I have checked with both my dealer and a few calls to Ford.
I find it odd that it goes all the way back to the 2000 model year knowing then that coverage only applies to some. Have a look at this post; Hood Paint bubble issue only I believe others may also have had the work done but didn't go through all the posts.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I find it odd that it goes all the way back to the 2000 model year knowing then that coverage only applies to some. Have a look at this post; Hood Paint bubble issue only I believe others may also have had the work done but didn't go through all the posts.

Peter
They've probably just updated the TSB to include later model years. I know all the folks at my dealership as I work with them professionally and they've gave me the word that I'm out of warranty. I've called Ford directly a few times.

Back