List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 71 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

I was told that warranty against corrosion is five years from purchase date

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I find it odd that it goes all the way back to the 2000 model year knowing then that coverage only applies to some. Have a look at this post; Hood Paint bubble issue only I believe others may also have had the work done but didn't go through all the posts.

Peter

Yes the problem extends way back and across multiple models. This 5-year special warranty is only for 16-19 Explorers which leaves 11-15 Explorers out to dry.

I'm not sure who the post was addressed to but it is a Ford warranty that covers it so a Ford/Lincoln dealer should take care of it. I doubt you can just go to any body shop and ask to have it replaced under Ford's warranty and requires their approval. Also, I believe most dealers have a body shop that they deal with. Almost sounds like they didn't want the job.

Peter
It was to anyone who had it done w/o soo many issues. This forum should just be a local dealership I can just reasonably drive to. lease to own, they seem to want my car back more than let me own it with minimal issues.

So does Ford pay for this replacement? I still have a month or so to go on my extended warranty.

So does Ford pay for this replacement? I still have a month or so to go on my extended warranty.
It is always best to check with your dealer. I'm not sure if the ESP would cover it. Please report back. Thanks.

Peter

It was to anyone who had it done w/o soo many issues. This forum should just be a local dealership I can just reasonably drive to. lease to own, they seem to want my car back more than let me own it with minimal issues.
That is because they know you can sell it for a profit in todays car market.

Ill chime in just to add to the list. 2017 Explorer Plat. 36K miles. (purchase date July 2016). Car is in for inspection/oil change/recall/etc.

My father in law just noticed the bubbling on the hood. Probably been there a while..

Ford is telling me to pound sand and the TSB mentioned in these threads are just directions for repair and not warranty to repair.

Good stuff. They gave me ford's 800 number to open a claim but said to not expect much if anything

Ill chime in just to add to the list. 2017 Explorer Plat. 36K miles. (purchase date July 2016). Car is in for inspection/oil change/recall/etc.

My father in law just noticed the bubbling on the hood. Probably been there a while..

Ford is telling me to pound sand and the TSB mentioned in these threads are just directions for repair and not warranty to repair.

Good stuff. They gave me ford's 800 number to open a claim but said to not expect much if anything
Sorry to hear that. Ford did the same to me. I have a 2014 and it needs a new hood to solve the issue, not just repainting the existing contaminated one. Frustrating for sure.

Sorry to hear that. Ford did the same to me. I have a 2014 and it needs a new hood to solve the issue, not just repainting the existing contaminated one. Frustrating for sure.
DId you end up doing it? If so, $600 has been thrown around in this thread, which sounds low to me. How much all in?

DId you end up doing it? If so, $600 has been thrown around in this thread, which sounds low to me. How much all in?
No, I haven't done it yet. The speed at which the bubbles are forming is pretty slow for now. Coupled with the fact that my kids tend to beat up on the vehicle quite a bit, I'd say my motivation is pretty low :)

Are you over the 5 year warranty period?

Peter

Are you over the 5 year warranty period?

Peter
Yeah, July 2016 was covered until July 2021 on the 2017 model...

Id bet anything the bubbling has been there though. Its my wife's vehicle and she had been work from home. So its basically a weekend kid carrier. We prob put 3-5K on it last year.

My 5 years expires this week on my 2017 MY Platinum. Got an appointment two weeks ago with the dealer and they had me fixed up along with some scheduled maintenance in two weeks. Not bad considering. The last dealer I went to gave me the run around (and kept my car) for two months.

That is because they know you can sell it for a profit in todays car market.
Ended up keeping it, now just have to find a dealer with a paint shop now that lease miles are no longer a noose around my neck. I printed out the 2 pages that was found earlier in this post IIRC, I just hand them this?

Ended up keeping it, now just have to find a dealer with a paint shop now that lease miles are no longer a noose around my neck. I printed out the 2 pages that was found earlier in this post IIRC, I just hand them this?
I hope it's as simple as that. Before Ford began the replacement process they just had the hoods repainted under warranty but several of the repainted ones ended up with the same bubbling problem. Ford then began replacing the hoods. I don't know what process was used in repainting the affected ones but I would think that if they used the same process as described in this thread with the replacement hoods they would have kept doing that since it would likely be less expensive than painting a new hood. You should get a quote to repaint the hood as per Ford's instructions and compare it to having a new hood painted the same way and see how much of a difference there would be in cost. Parts of the old hood could likely be used as well.

Peter

Took our 2017 Explorer to the dealer 2 weeks before the 5 years hood corrosion warranty was up. They ordered a new hood and we had it replaced. They sent it to a local body shop that did a really good job in matching the metallic paint. The corrosion was on the drivers side of the hood, not the front of the hood. It was small and didn't seem to get worse. But since Ford had a 5 year warranty on corrosion for the hood and we keep out vehicles for many years we got it fixed with no issues.

Hood Paint Problem

Was there ever a TSB or "recall" about the new Explorer's hood paint? I remember seeing something, but now I can't find it. Thanks!
Most dealerships will take care of you. I drove in and showed it to them, they said Ford knows about the issue and they offered to replace the hood for me. 2018 police explorer…no arguement, they just offered to replace it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most dealerships will take care of you. I drove in and showed it to them, they said Ford knows about the issue and they offered to replace the hood for me. 2018 police explorer…no arguement, they just offered to replace it.
I don't think Bill will be reading your reply. He was last seen here on December 29, 2016.:)
Your post may be helpful to those wondering if a PIU is being covered as well. Thanks.

Peter

Back