List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 68 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

I bought my ‘14 Explorer XLT in D7 Sunset Metallic in 2015 and have been dealing with hood bubbling since after 5-6 months in. I've gone to 3 dealers, submitted pictures complained, and on and on. The bubbles have gone to peeling off and after complaining and dealing with this for 5 years and 95,000 miles later I'm about ready to lose it. Anyone who could provide help of who I could talk to, where or anything to get this covered I would appreciate it. I have all documentation of my submissions and complaints and yet am 0 for 3 on anyone with Ford caring at all.
Hi Mike. As I mentioned in a reply to your initial post on this, you will not get any help from Ford on this since there is no warranty in your case. The 5 year, unlimited mileage aluminum panel corrosion coverage only came into effect with the 2016 and up Explorers.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was told Ford will go back 5 years from present to fix corrosion issues.
This is what now mentioned in warranty manual. Mine is 2012 and did not have that clause.

This is what now mentioned in warranty manual. Mine is 2012 and did not have that clause.
There was no change made to the Warranty Guide wording. If you go back 5 years "from present", you will end up with the 2016 warranty which is the first year that the 5 year, unlimited warranty was published.

Peter

I am another victim of the hood paint bubble plague.. Awaiting on Ford to approve the hood replacement
IMG_0356.jpeg
IMG_0357.jpeg

Hi Mike. As I mentioned in a reply to your initial post on this, you will not get any help from Ford on this since there is no warranty in your case. The 5 year, unlimited mileage aluminum panel corrosion coverage only came into effect with the 2016 and up Explorers.

Peter
And I can confirm this. Ford authorized my dealership to repaint my hood. I don't think they understood what is actually causing the corrosion at the time. Lo and behold, 2 years later and the bubbles have come back. I complained about it again and asked about getting a new hood, and Ford basically said they aren't going to do anything else for me.

I am another victim of the hood paint bubble plague.. Awaiting on Ford to approve the hood replacement
View attachment 328181View attachment 328182
I have a 2012 Ford and got hood replaced by Ford Corporate after opening a case with them. I was outside my 3/36 warranty. I had to share cost like 60/40 but the corrosion issue resolved. Sanding & painting the hood wont resolve since its the metal contamination as root cause for corrosion

I have a 2012 Ford and got hood replaced by Ford Corporate after opening a case with them. I was outside my 3/36 warranty. I had to share cost like 60/40 but the corrosion issue resolved. Sanding & painting the hood wont resolve since its the metal contamination as root cause for corrosion
Luckily I am still within my 3/36 warranty but good to know. I was told by a rep that the issue is due to a mixture of a corrosive metal with the aluminum and that the replacements don’t use that mix.

Luckily I am still within my 3/36 warranty but good to know. I was told by a rep that the issue is due to a mixture of a corrosive metal with the aluminum and that the replacements don’t use that mix.
Your warranty on the hood is 5 years, unlimited mileage.

Peter

Got the approval from "the maker" to replace the hood lol. Scheduled for the 29th (says it will take 2-3 days).

1616183925144.png

I hope that the owners truly were compensated to their satisfaction.

I don't believe all those with the pre-2016 Explorers were. The extended warranty on aluminum panels only came into effect with the 2016 Explorers and then only for 5 years. And let's hope the issue doesn't show up in the 6th gen.

Peter

I don't believe all those with the pre-2016 Explorers were. The extended warranty on aluminum panels only came into effect with the 2016 Explorers and then only for 5 years. And let's hope the issue doesn't show up in the 6th gen.

Peter

Yes, let's hope they figured out how to keep aluminum panels free from iron deposits prior to paint... Sure isn't rocket science!

Peter

It's been going on since Ford and GM first started using aluminum for hoods. As far back as the 2005 Mustang. Ford hasn't fixed anything. Good 'ol Ford.

No they are not painted so they have to go to the paint shop. They will also blend it to match paint that has been out in the sun for a while.

2 to 3 days to replace a hood!? Are they not painted?
I was actually able to pick up my car the next day. And the dealer gave me a warranty covered rental while it was in the shop.

Ford also replaced the aftermarket “EXPLORER” badge I purchased since my car is a Limited and not a Sport.

I was actually able to pick up my car the next day. And the dealer gave me a warranty covered rental while it was in the shop.

Ford also replaced the aftermarket “EXPLORER” badge I purchased since my car is a Limited and not a Sport.
Ahh!

Glad to hear they took care of you! I wish they had done the same for me. All they did was repaint the hood on my 2014, which didn't address the root cause of the corrosion. At this point I'd have to buy my own hood or just let it continue to corrode. (shrug)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dealer never replaced the emissions sticker under the hood.

Back