List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 69 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Glad to hear they took care of you! I wish they had done the same for me. All they did was repaint the hood on my 2014, which didn't address the root cause of the corrosion. At this point I'd have to buy my own hood or just let it continue to corrode. (shrug)
Unfortunately for you, the Aluminum Panel warranty only came out with the 2016+ Explorer. However, it now seems that hood replacement applies to 2000 - 2020 Fords and Lincolns. List of Useful Threads - 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's
As this is a TSB, I believe the repair is only without cost if the vehicle is under warranty.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same here. I am in China and had my 2017 Explorer painted twice already in the dealer.
Now it had these bubbles again since last paint. The dealer didnt told me I can replace a new hood.

Same here. I am in China and had my 2017 Explorer painted twice already in the dealer.
Now it had these bubbles again since last paint. The dealer didnt told me I can replace a new hood.

It's iron contamination on the aluminum hood. Dealer should have replaced the hood from the start. However some US-based dealers also did this to other owners by just repainting instead of replacing. My dealer knew right away what to do. I see the same exact corrosion on earlier (pre-16) Explorers as well. Ford should be embarrassed by this but they cover it up. Only place to get the real scoop on vehicles you plan to by is join a Facebook group and observe the posts. Ignore the people that always paint everything in a glowing light and you'll quickly find the common problems. Case in point is the 2020-up Explorer. So many buy backs that they need to just make a FAQ on the Facebook group on how to process one.

After 20 years of this I'm astonished that Ford hasn't just gone back to steel hoods and tried to make up the weight difference (if that's the reason for aluminum hoods in the first place) somewhere else. The math on this has got to be terrible for Ford.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The dealer should replace the hood as per the TSB without cost to you.

Peter

The dealer should replace the hood as per the TSB without cost to you.

Peter
Thank you . Just asked the dealer here they said it does not apply to Chinese market.

Ok, glad I can say something about it. The entire* front lip of the hood is bubbled up badly.

After 20 years of this I'm astonished that Ford hasn't just gone back to steel hoods and tried to make up the weight difference (if that's the reason for aluminum hoods in the first place) somewhere else. The math on this has got to be terrible for Ford.
I'm with you here. You wonder what weird math the accountants and engineers have come up with. To justify not fixing this after 20 years is insane.

I'm with you here. You wonder what weird math the accountants and engineers have come up with. To justify not fixing this after 20 years is insane.

That may show just how over priced that these Explorers are.

Perhaps

Perhaps
I agree. For me personally, if I look back at what I paid for my CPO 2014 Limited, the vehicle quality is poor for the price. At this point, I've decided I'm going to just deal with the issues and run the thing until I have to deal with the water pump issue (or some other unforeseen issue). I'll have to figure out what makes sense financially at that point.

I have kids that are rough on the interior and run bikes into the exterior, so the quality issues don't bother me too much. I might care more if I wanted to keep it looking "pretty." For now, I just try to keep it mechanically and electrically sound :)

I agree. For me personally, if I look back at what I paid for my CPO 2014 Limited, the vehicle quality is poor for the price. At this point, I've decided I'm going to just deal with the issues and run the thing until I have to deal with the water pump issue (or some other unforeseen issue). I'll have to figure out what makes sense financially at that point.

I have kids that are rough on the interior and run bikes into the exterior, so the quality issues don't bother me too much. I might care more if I wanted to keep it looking "pretty." For now, I just try to keep it mechanically and electrically sound :)
I don't have any kids, my problem is parking lots

Perhaps
A lot of the car manufacturers are like this. Make something cheap enough to last lease purpose and have just enough warranty to get the 2nd buyer on board for whatever happens. I miss having 100k mile warrantied cars granted I rage quit at 70K when the warranty sucked.
I don't have any kids, my problem is parking lots
I have kids but they know not to treat my vehicles like their mom's. Having a car wash membership with free vaccums indoor was the perks of having kids. Parking lots I park super far but at work it doesn't matter, only the handicapped spots have painted lines. Some days you can squeeze 40 cars in this row and sometimes 34 is your best bet.

I was washing my 2019 Sport today and as I was wiping down the hood I noticed all kinds of bubbles all along the front lip and I opened it up and all along the seam is visible rust and some of the bubbles have already chipped open. Dammit. I was hoping I had a winner without this issue, picked this one up in May 2019 after trading in a 2014 Limited. No such luck apparently - ughhh… Hoping my dealer will swap the hood. Still waiting on parts for the roof rack recall fix…. Unbelievable the dumb issues with these things.

Got a 13 Explorer and just noticed the paint bubbling on the hood. Really disappointed as out of the '5 year' warranty. I've owned GM's, Toyotas, Acuras. This was my 1st and unfortunately last Ford. I own cars until they are no longer fixable. I still got a 64 Lemans. I get it if I did something to the vehicle... but this is just ridiculous. My call to the customer relationship center was just as bad... I just gave them my VIN number to 'see if they could do something' and it ended the call and kicked me to the customer satisfaction survey... well... I wasn't really satisfied. Really downer.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As per the TSB linked in post #1358, you should be covered. The '5 year warranty' would not have covered this anyway. Only 2016+ models have the 5 years, unlimited mileage warranty of aluminum panel corrosion.

Peter

Hello group. First Post.

I have a 2019 Explorer with paint bubbling issue on the hood seam as well. I will take it to the dealer with a copy of the TSB linked in this thread. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here.

Question: Is anyone having issues with door seams? And does the TSB cover that? I know this is a hood only thread, but I saw the referenced TSB for body panel replacement here. Thanks!

Hello group. First Post.

I have a 2019 Explorer with paint bubbling issue on the hood seam as well. I will take it to the dealer with a copy of the TSB linked in this thread. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here.

Question: Is anyone having issues with door seams? And does the TSB cover that? I know this is a hood only thread, but I saw the referenced TSB for body panel replacement here. Thanks!
Door seams are not covered by the TSB for the hood. The Warranty Guide refers to aluminum body panels if that is what you mean. Only the hood is aluminum. The other parts are covered under what I believe is commonly referred to as rusting, and then it must have a perforation. The Warranty Guide should explain that. Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know if the TSB would apply to a vehicle that has a rebuilt/prior-salvage title? I know safety related warranty recalls are still eligible for dealer service, but not sure about this TSB. Thanks!

I don't know for sure but my guess would be that the TSB would not apply. I believe that "rebuilt" and "salvage" titles are 2 different items. If the salvaged vehicle has been fixed up to the point where it has passed a state inspection and was rebranded as 'Rebuilt' that may make a difference in what it may qualify for.

Peter

Back