List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Welcome to the Forum explorer2011chip.:wavey:
Given that this seems to be an issue with other Explorers as well, I agree and feel that this should be treated a little differently than other warrantied items. One would not expect to have paint peeling off on a vehicle just a few years old. Unfortunately, what we think doesn't seem to carry much weight with the manufacturer. Because the 2011 was a newly designed model, I and many others opted for the Ford ESP. I bought it mainly because of all the on board electronics. Never even gave a thought to any paint adhesion problems. Did you discuss just having the OEM hood repainted?
The hood assembly is shown as being $1069.97 on Fordparts.com. It would then require painting.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I feel sort of vindicated reading this post..
Too Bad Ford doesn't see it that way..
I have to driver around with the bullet hole in the truck..
but based on the the horrible posts and issues.. mine simply isn't that bad..
now if the could only find a way to fix the tear in the drivers door armrest that is un-repairable right on the seam with the "pleather heatweld..
thats a way bigger joke in Ford Quality..

My 11 Limited is bubbling along the front edge of the hood. Ford says they only cover that type of PAINT FAILURE for 3/36 instead of the extended corrosion warranty. Needless to say so far I'm completely unimpressed with Ford's warranty program. The corrosion on the hood is due to dissimilar metal corrosion with the hood being aluminum and the inner hood being some form of alloy. We see it with Chrysler products all the time and it can't be fixed. You can sand them down and repaint the panel but the corrosion is still inside the seam and will return within 2 years, and oh yeah Chrysler replaces your hood under warranty within the factory 5/100.

Welcome to the Forum mprtech.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have moved your post to this existing one on the same issue.

Peter

My 11 Limited is bubbling along the front edge of the hood. Ford says they only cover that type of PAINT FAILURE for 3/36 instead of the extended corrosion warranty. Needless to say so far I'm completely unimpressed with Ford's warranty program. The corrosion on the hood is due to dissimilar metal corrosion with the hood being aluminum and the inner hood being some form of alloy. We see it with Chrysler products all the time and it can't be fixed. You can sand them down and repaint the panel but the corrosion is still inside the seam and will return within 2 years, and oh yeah Chrysler replaces your hood under warranty within the factory 5/100.

same exact problem we are having all along the front edge of the hood on our '11 explorer, actually, it is HORRIBLE right underneath the front edge, were it meets the seam of another piece of sheet metal. It is bubbles all along the front edge, after only three years and technically only two winters!! :eek:
This POS hood on the ex looks worse than the hood on my daily driver 2005 passat wagon.

Also getting the bubbling on the inner seams of the doors, I'll take photos over the weekend and post them.
Now I regret buying this vehicle, should have leased it and got rid of it after three years :thumbdwn:

Surprise, I have rust on the hood, and the clear coat is flaking off around the roof rack, on my 2011 Limited, with 57,000 miles. I'm now in contact with a Ford customer service rep, via my dealer, so we'll see what happens. Here are some pics.

i-ct8hj5Z-X2.jpg

i-TKsWSKW-X2.jpg

i-pdbMFdm-X2.jpg

i-GT83Jsb-X2.jpg

i-m3GCZp2-X2.jpg

i-CwB9Hdb-X2.jpg

i-qDCpm28-X2.jpg

i-2TSmx6f-X2.jpg

i-rJR9Mkp-X2.jpg

i-TKGmbDL-X2.jpg

i-hHnPr4t-X2.jpg

i-vJM35bR-X2.jpg

Oh my, those paint bubbles are HORRIBLE, WAAAY worse than what I have. I guess I shouldn't complain that much :thumbdwn:
All of the bubbling on our hood is at the front edge, but on the underside so far, but it's creeping it's way up towards the top surface.
I'm so pissed off right now it's not even funny. Earlier in the year I was considering buying a mustang but no f***ing way!!

FORD: Do you not care about these problems????? This shoul not happen on a 2-3 year old vehicle!!! And please don't say this is caused by road debri damage, because if that is the case, then why is my hood bubbling on the underside surface?

here are my photos, after 39 months of ownership, 50,000 miles.
I wash the explorer regularly and I wax it at least 2-3 times a year.
This is **** design/quality, there must be some galvanic corrosion going on with that aluminum hood.
7mbwtd0.png

any other 2011's having this problem?

Pictures are too large to view without having to scroll. PLease try and keep them to a maximum of 800X600. Thanks.

Peter

Paint Rust on Hood

I had this just before the 3 year warranty ended. The dealer seemed to know all about the problem, as set up an appointment with a body shop without even looking at the car. Car was in body shop for several days, and looks like new.

The number of problems I have had with this car make the think back to cars of the 1970's. When in the last 30 years have you had rust through on a new car. Not to mention unrelenting problems with the Ford Touch and Navigation system, and my most recent overheating problem. This car seems to live at the dealer. Only car in the last 20 to 30 years I can say this about. So, why not paint rust through.:thumbdwn:

Welcome to the Forum sladowski.:wavey:
As far as the hood issue, it isn't rust since aluminum corrodes (oxidizes) but doesn't rust. A minor point I know and it should not be happening on vehicles just a few years old. I'm curious as to how the new F-150 will hold up with all the aluminum it has. I'm guessing the 2016 Ex may also have more aluminum in it as a weight reduction feature.

Peter

I wonder if my dealer purchased Extended warranty would take care of these paint bubbles, I'll check next time I'm in, but I'm not really keen on getting the whole hood repainted by the dealer....

I wonder if my dealer purchased Extended warranty would take care of these paint bubbles, I'll check next time I'm in, but I'm not really keen on getting the whole hood repainted by the dealer....

I asked my dealer about this, since I did purchase the Extended Warranty. He said, under the original new car warranty, a paint bubble is enough to get it repainted. After than, even with the Extended, you need full rust through - a higher standard.

2013 Limited paint bubbling and peeling on hood

Hi guys,

Just wanted to start some discussion in order to prep for my call to my dealer. After changing my oil today I noticed numerous area along the edge of the hood where the paint is bubbling and peeling. If you zoom in on the pic provided you can see one particular area. There are other spots along the edges that have similar conditions.

IMG_1999.png

The warranty guide states a 5 year corrosion warranty. I assume this is covered under that? The truck is 28 months old with 37500 miles. I want to get ahead of this problem before it gets worse.

Any advice you can give (before I make the call to the dealer) would be appreciated!

Keith

We have had a problem with paint bubbling and peeling on the hoods and tailgates of Expeditions at work. This looks like the same issue. Bubbling off the aluminum parts. Ford has not been very responsive in fixing the problem.

We have had a problem with paint bubbling and peeling on the hoods and tailgates of Expeditions at work. This looks like the same issue. Bubbling off the aluminum parts. Ford has not been very responsive in fixing the problem.

What other parts are aluminum? I would like to check those areas as well.

Paint issues are 3yr/36k (bumper to bumper). Corrosion warranty is for rust through the metal (surface rust is not covered under this).

You might be able to get Ford to cover it BUT technically you are out of warranty so be prepared for a denial.

Paint issues are 3yr/36k (bumper to bumper). Corrosion warranty is for rust through the metal (surface rust is not covered under this).

You might be able to get Ford to cover it BUT technically you are out of warranty so be prepared for a denial.

They have denied every one we presented as they were all over the 36,000 warranty period. But you need to get it fixed because it keeps getting worse till large flakes of paint peel off.

I can tell you the dealer will take pictures and send them to Ford and will have to wait for a ruling. Maybe if enough of these keep coming in they will finally do something about it.

Be very leery if you are going to buy one of the F-150 aluminum body trucks. I would wait for awhile to see if they get the paint issues fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Just wanted to start some discussion in order to prep for my call to my dealer. After changing my oil today I noticed numerous area along the edge of the hood where the paint is bubbling and peeling...

I got your PM and responded, maliboo74. Check out your inbox for my message. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back