Hood Struts ?? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Struts ??

Can't wait! I'm in for a set of lifts from RedLine! Any chance there's a forum special at launch in June?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this project still on track for Mid-June?

You just made my week. :bounce: Thanks for the update!

Nice- tucked out of the way.

I know I'll get in line for a pair. Made my week also

Is it me or did RedLine Tuning's post vanish from this thread? :confused2:

Is it me or did RedLine Tuning's post vanish from this thread? :confused2:
It was taken down because he did not have a Vendor Membership. He was advised by the site Admin yesterday that he required one. OP was also advised that his posts would be reinstated if and when he conforms to the Site guidelines/rules.

Peter

Irony. I have struts on my '98 and have been thinking about switching to a rod. The original struts failed, then I bought some with a lifetime warranty at Autozone (same brand has since dropped their lifetime warranty down to 1 yr.), and (only) because I have the receipt that states lifetime warranty, I've had those replaced THREE more times for free and the current set is now weak again, won't hold the hood up when it gets very cold out.

The only reason I haven't switched yet is that lifetime warranty, and that autozone is only a couple miles away, I pass by it several times a week. Regardless I can't recommend the MightyLift! brand due to them only lasting ~ 3 years.

Never had a problem with the factory back hatch struts... knock on wood.

Looks like RedLine Tuning has put up the product pages for the explorer struts with pricing. They are currently showing out of stock but it's encouraging unless they actually had stock and sold out! :angryfire:

https://www.redlinetuning.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Ford+Explorer+2017

They come in two options, here's what I can gather from the page that are the differences:
https://www.redlinetuning.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Ford+Explorer+2017
QuickLIFT ELITE: $139.99
-316L Stainless steel custom-valved gas springs
-5 Year Warranty

QuickLIFT PLUS: $99.99
-Black e-coated custom-valved gas springs
-4 Year Warranty

I'm leaning toward the Elite setup mainly because I like the look of the stainless springs. Now I have to keep checking until they're in stock. :(

I like the black ones (QuickLIFT Plus), they look more like they belong there.

Looks god ! I am still awaiting my struts from China... :(

Interested to see how long they are going to be out of stock. Think I'll send them an email.

Interested to see how long they are going to be out of stock. Think I'll send them an email.
Just my guess, but I think they put the page up before they got the brackets in to get the buzz going. In their original post they (Redline) originally mentioned that in late June they were expecting the brackets to be delivered, so they may have gotten the product page up before the arrival of the brackets. I'm going to keep checking their page and will post here when they update their stock number to available.

Just my guess, but I think they put the page up before they got the brackets in to get the buzz going. In their original post they (Redline) originally mentioned that in late June they were expecting the brackets to be delivered, so they may have gotten the product page up before the arrival of the brackets. I'm going to keep checking their page and will post here when they update their stock number to available.

Highly likely.

FYI, unfortunately no free shipping for Canadian customers.

Their web says available early July.

Ok, it is done...
Not proper finish / the holes don`t fit correctly...but it works (so long) and the price was about 58 Euros...
IMG_20170620_202202.jpg
IMG_20170620_202408.jpg

I am sure, it is NOT a sophisticated solution ! It works a moment, but the latches on the hood it means the femal screws (don`t know the correct word) to fasten this latches are only a joke...to damage the hood is only a question of time...
Can NOT recommend this item at all !!!

No matter what their design is, it's not going to be far different than what Daheim111 bought, there are only so many options of where to install the struts. It kind of makes you wonder why Ford did not install them in the first place. Was it because of cost, accessible engine maintenance, etc. I'd be shocked if the cost would have exceeded $50 for Ford per vehicle based on economies of scale, competition from vendors, etc.

Perhaps a bad design, but I still wonder why Ford did not include such a low cost accessory.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just checked with RedLine and they said they should have all of the parts for the Explorer kit in the next two weeks or sooner! Based on Daheim111's feedback on the non-Redline solution he tried, the Redline solution is probably the way to go.

Back