how much Horse Power will the 8.8 handle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how much Horse Power will the 8.8 handle?

if this is in the wrong place Sorry. just need to know how much horse power will the 8.8 handle. I ask because my boss is building a 97 S10 2wd truck, It has an auto trans and a 400 chevy small block pushing around 550-600 hp and over 500 foot pounds of torque. He is looking for a rearend to handle the power. My question is i have a 97 disc brake rear 8.8 with 4.10's and a LS. will it handle this kinda power?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it would be ok, probably not ideal though. I've heard of 8.8's being used in built camaro's and such.

It will be fine with a c clip eliminator kit and as long as you reinforce the tube to housing plug wleds to keep from spinning a tube.

8.8 is a pretty decent rear. As mentioned above, weld the tubes and use a set of high quality chromoly axles (Strange Engineering) with c-clip eliminators. You will also probably want to girdle the rear to beef it up.

Biggest problems I've heard with the 8.8's and high power is spun tubes and twisted axles. Dead stock (31 spline version, which is what the Explorer has) it can handle up to about 400 rwhp as long as you're not on DR's or Slicks. As soon as you go to those, you have to weld the tubes at a minimum.

so what do you mean by weld the tubes? weld where the tubes meet the diff housing? he wants the c-clip eliminators so thats not a problem. Also what do you mean by girdle the rear, is that the same as a brace that is welded to the tubes and diff? on top kinda like the 9 inch?

The plug welds in the 8.8 can crack allowing the tubes to spin. Need to really burn those in. The girdle most likely is a bearing cap girdle which makes sure that everything in the diff stays in place...someone has an SVO girdle on here.

The plug welds in the 8.8 can crack allowing the tubes to spin. Need to really burn those in. The girdle most likely is a bearing cap girdle which makes sure that everything in the diff stays in place...someone has an SVO girdle on here.

To weld the axle tubes to diff housing, do you just "burn in" the plug welds with a TIG or do you lay a bead around the joint where the tube slides into the diff housing?

I am building up an 8.8 this winter and need to know best trick for these mods. Does anyone have a write up on this?

As for girdle, I am running the TrickFlow cast aluminum cover, which has set screws that turn in to put a slight pressure on the bearing caps, thereby locking them into the cast AL structure.

well i finally talked him into a 9 inch. much easier for what he wants to do. now what to do with the 8.8 i have.

To weld the axle tubes to diff housing, do you just "burn in" the plug welds with a TIG or do you lay a bead around the joint where the tube slides into the diff housing?

Truthfully i'm not sure which would be the best method...i'd probably run a bead around the tube. Do a search here or over on pbb. Not many spun tubes here, but it can happen.

I quit reading about the 8.8 and decided to replace it with a 9"

PBB? that is a new one for me

if it is the aussie 8.8 they should handle up to 1000 hp

well i finally talked him into a 9 inch. much easier for what he wants to do. now what to do with the 8.8 i have.

Give it to me--I'll re gear it for later----:D

Jon, for you that'd be AADD, take some drugs for that.

Back