How to: 3rd Gen BODY LIFT. Install. | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oh lol okay. I would've been shocked if you were running a skinny 35" at stock height, Lol!

And 275/65(34") or 275/55(32")? Cause I run a 275/60(33") with my lifts and i still rub at full lock

yeah I was running the 275/65/20 it ate up my plastic. I had to go to a junkyard to replace them. I never really checked how much it rubbed at full lock. At the time it was my wifes. On my f-150 I was running 285/75/20 which is how I got them confused.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah I was running the 275/65/20 it ate up my plastic. I had to go to a junkyard to replace them. I never really checked how much it rubbed at full lock. At the time it was my wifes. On my f-150 I was running 285/75/20 which is how I got them confused.

Ouch. and i wish i wouldve gotten 275/65s or 285/65s... i forgot the key rule with my body lift and now my tires "go big or go home" now i want to go up on both haha

Ouch. and i wish i wouldve gotten 275/65s or 285/65s... i forgot the key rule with my body lift and now my tires "go big or go home" now i want to go up on both haha

Same here. Right now I'm running 265/75/16. After about a month of having them regret not just waiting till after the lift and buying the 285's.

Finally Finished!

Well bumper is back on and so are my new 285/75/16 KO's!!! Loving it!
2012-03-01151212_Wilmington_Delaware_US.jpg

2012-03-01151235_Wilmington_Delaware_US-1.jpg

2012-03-01164859_Wilmington_Delaware_US.jpg

Here is the completed side by side
2012-02-21143622_Newark_Delaware_US.jpg
2012-03-01151212_Wilmington_Delaware_US.jpg

jdhamhock said:
Well bumper is back on and so are my new 285/75/16 KO's!!! Loving it!

Here is the completed side by side

Looks good! Do you just have a body lift? And are you using wheel spacers to fit those 285's on stock 16's??

Looks good! Do you just have a body lift? And are you using wheel spacers to fit those 285's on stock 16's??

Yes, just the 3" BL and 2" Hub Centric wheel spacers

jdhamhock said:
Yes, just the 3" BL and 2" Hub Centric wheel spacers

You have no idea how happy that makes me. That's exactly what I've got and now I know I can squeeze in 285's. Did you have to do any trimming?

you have no idea how happy that makes me. That's exactly what i've got and now i know i can squeeze in 285's. Did you have to do any trimming?

none!

Amazing. Buying everything today to do this to mine. To man people said it was impossible. Any way you could contact me to throw some tips at me for getting it done. Tools, time, difficulty, etc.
Thanks! It truly is a beautiful explorer!

DanielJ said:
Amazing. Buying everything today to do this to mine. To man people said it was impossible. Any way you could contact me to throw some tips at me for getting it done. Tools, time, difficulty, etc.
Thanks! It truly is a beautiful explorer!

Read through this thread. It tells you everything you need to know and then some...

I have Questions for anyone to answer really. Is BTF still making spacers? …. And Kazer were did you get your body lift kit from? .... I’m thinking of adding 265/75 to my stock 05 EX, from what I have read those should fit...can anyone confirm that??

I Questions for anyone to answer really. Is BTF still making spacers? …. And Kazer were did you get your body lift kit from? .... I’m thinking of adding 265/75 to my stock 05 EX, from what I have read those should fit...can anyone confirm that??

Look at the other stickies and every question you just asked will be answered.

I have Questions for anyone to answer really. Is BTF still making spacers? …. And Kazer were did you get your body lift kit from? .... I’m thinking of adding 265/75 to my stock 05 EX, from what I have read those should fit...can anyone confirm that??

BTF is still making spacers. Call him to order them.
The body lift kit is a PA883 kit for a Ford Ranger, Google it. This is the install thread.
Those will fit without a lift.
Do your homework.

Just finished with the PA-883. Wondering how others kept the threaded 'cuffs' of the lower body mount bushings from spinning as the bolts are turned. I had a hell of a time trying to clamp them with vice grips and pipe wrenches braced against the frame. Is there something I overlooked? Or did we all just have to improvise?

-Dubya

Just finished with the PA-883. Wondering how others kept the threaded 'cuffs' of the lower body mount bushings from spinning as the bolts are turned. I had a hell of a time trying to clamp them with vice grips and pipe wrenches braced against the frame. Is there something I overlooked? Or did we all just have to improvise?

-Dubya

I think everyone came up with something that worked for them. I used a set of vice grips that were designed for holding oil filters. Some people tack welded a piece of rebar to the pucks to use as a handle to keep them from spinning.

I think everyone came up with something that worked for them. I used a set of vice grips that were designed for holding oil filters. Some people tack welded a piece of rebar to the pucks to use as a handle to keep them from spinning.

Sounds good. Thanks for reassuring me on that Ronin.

Yep, I was under the ex with a set of vicegrips locked on the edge while my buddy air ratcheted them down... It's WELL worth it!

Yep, I was under the ex with a set of vicegrips locked on the edge while my buddy air ratcheted them down...good luck! It's WELL worth it!

I ended up getting a few days earlier - just curious on other's methods. We used vice grips on a few of the easier ones and a cleverly positioned monkey wrench on the tough guys. I decided to drill the threads out of every mount so I can run a bolt through with a lock nut at the end so as to never run in to the problem again (should the need somehow arise).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ended up getting a few days earlier - just curious on other's methods. We used vice grips on a few of the easier ones and a cleverly positioned monkey wrench on the tough guys. I decided to drill the threads out of every mount so I can run a bolt through with a lock nut at the end so as to never run in to the problem again (should the need somehow arise).

You guys up north must be dealing with a lot of rust. When I did mine it wasn't half that difficult. Just a pair of vice grips did the trick for me..

Back