How to: 3rd Gen BODY LIFT. Install. | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

yes - the top end has way too much play... makes gravel roads not fun.

I emailed P.A. and asked about it... see what they can do.

I THOUGHT someone had tried not using the extension with some luck and a 3" lift... maybe not.

Here's the link to the replacement extension...don't rely on the pic because it doesn't look like that.

I know this is the right one because I messed up the first one I had when modifying it and had to order a replacement...it matches the original one exactly:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRA-SE3500/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

holy crap!! EIGHTY TWO DOLLARS? the lift kit was what, about a hundred bucks?

OK, they sell for 192... i don't think i paid that much wehen i bought it.... insanity. i could see 20, maybe 30 bucks...

holy crap!! EIGHTY TWO DOLLARS? the lift kit was what, about a hundred bucks?

OK, they sell for 192... i don't think i paid that much wehen i bought it.... insanity. i could see 20, maybe 30 bucks...

yeah it's machined out of a solid piece of billet so I figure that's why it's a little pricey.

yes, that's it. the photos of the kits are really representative of what's included - some vendors may have a chevy kit or a dodge kit - it's basically to show you (as I did) are paying for hockey pucks and bolts. :)

Ok, Finally did it.
I ordered a Performance accessories body lift, Part number 883, for a 98-00 Ranger.
The front bumper brackets were useful, we only had to expand the slots slightly to have it line up properly.
frontbracket.jpg

Frontend.jpg

The other modification needed was to the front mounts themselves, they are threaded half way though and have a nut on the end of the bolts, the new bolds that are sent with the kit are only threaded at the end, So I had to grind the threads out of the middle section of the mount to allow the bolt to pass though.
Frontmount.jpg

mount1.jpg

I don't have a picture of it, but I needed to trim 3 inches off of the bottom of the fan shroud, as of course the motor doesn't lift, but the fan shroud does.
Then we of course undid all of the body mounts, took off one side completely, and left one side loose, but still attached.
removal.jpg

They were accessible under the carpet, under the drivers and passenger foot area, just behind the front seats, and beside the rear seats, then in the rear as the picture above, as well as at the very front under the bumper cover.
Picture040.jpg

We jacked up half of the truck, installed the blocks and started all of the bolts,
bolts1.jpg

Once that was done, we jacked up the other side and installed those as well.
Torqued them all down at once, replaced the carpet and trim.
After all of the body mounts were tight and trim replaced we focused on the bumper brackets.
The front one was great out of the kit, just a bit of grinding to make it fit.
But the rear bracket was useless, So we made that from scratch at my friends machine shop.
Unfortunately 50 of the pictures we took were corrupted on the camera.
After that of course you've got your steering extension and you're good to go.
The steering extension will work, but is a bit thick and does not slide over easily,
we just ground a bit off of it to make it slide into and over the steering shaft at both ends,
the bolt holes lined up and that was that.
Hope this helps guys, It feels great to finally have it done. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Ben.

Does the body lift come with these brakets? and if you dont use the brakets does the bumper sag?

Finally started my lift!

Well I jumped in and started my lift! Only step left is to deal with the rear bumper! Here are some pics...
2012-02-21143622_Newark_Delaware_US.jpg
2012-02-25073438_Newark_Delaware_US.jpg
2012-02-25084938_Newark_Delaware_US.jpg

Nice work jd! Could you post up a few more side shots? Id like to see how much frame shows with that style of step bars

NP, I'll get some up today! And thx!

Nice work jd! Could you post up a few more side shots? Id like to see how much frame shows with that style of step bars
2012-02-27162156_Wilmington_Delaware_US.jpg
2012-02-27150615_Wilmington_Delaware_US.jpg

thanks JD! still debating on if i want to move up from my 1.5" body lift to a 3"

thanks JD! still debating on if i want to move up from my 1.5" body lift to a 3"

Im happy with the 1.5 myself. Theres no way I'm going through all those body mounts again.

You especially, after dealing with mine. Again thanks for the help!

Go for it! Second time around isn't so bad since the bolts aren't as corroded and you'll already know all the tricks with doing things. The brackets for the bumpers and modifying the steering shaft extension take some work but it's not too tough.

Do it! I just did mine two weeks ago havent had time to post pics. Also Kazer I dont know if it's too late, but I was ridding 275/70/20 at stock height with minor rubbing.

Do it! I just did mine two weeks ago havent had time to post pics. Also Kazer I dont know if it's too late, but I was ridding 275/70/20 at stock height with minor rubbing.

275/70r20? Thats a very odd tire size, I couldn't even find a company that made that size. Do you have pictures of your truck with those tires on at stock height? Because that's just over a 35" tire...35.2" actually.

my bad Kazer I was running 275/65/r20. I don't have a picture of it with the rims on. The rims were 20x8.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my bad Kazer I was running 275/65/r20. I don't have a picture of it with the rims on. The rims were 20x8.

Oh lol okay. I would've been shocked if you were running a skinny 35" at stock height, Lol!

And 275/65(34") or 275/55(32")? Cause I run a 275/60(33") with my lifts and i still rub at full lock

Back