how to extract the starter on a 95 explorer xl | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to extract the starter on a 95 explorer xl

zimzum308

Reaction score
City, State
POULSBO WASHINGTON
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 EXPLORER XL
i got everything unplugged but i cant get the old starter out so i can put in the new one...help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Theres 2 bolts, one at the bottom of it, one at the top, and its impossible to get that top one out, well for me it was, then i realized i only needed new wires so i was good...

not impossible just very difficult. I used a short combination wrench. Expect to only get about 1/8 of a turn at a time. You will have to stop about 500 times to let the blood re-flow into your hands.

I actually think it would be easier to pull the engine and replace the starter.

Ok well maybe it's not that bad, it takes small hands and agility.

Well thought out extensions and universals help ALOT for this job. If I had it to do over though I would use airtools once I broke the bolt free. I remember it was an awkward setup of extensions to get that top bolt out.

I watched a guy do one while I had an inspection, the job took about 2 minutes to get the bolts out with air tools.

either i am lucky, or VERY lucky. i have both a SOHC in my sport, and a OHV in my 90 ranger and have changed both starters and didn't have that hard of a time at all. what i have done was take the front drive shaft off at the diff. makes way more room. also, to make it a little easier, leave the bottom one tight, and get the top on out first. that way the bottom bolt holds the starter tight to the trains, and after you have broke the top one loose, you should be able to unthread it with your fingers.

Back