How To: First Gen Rear Window with Cables Fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: First Gen Rear Window with Cables Fix

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...This is for only the 91-94 X's, as they have the rear window mechanism's with cables....

..The parts are from the 95-01 to convert the 91-94

...I previously fixed my Front windows with new bushings...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209072&highlight=window

...Since the day I bought my X, the rear, drivers side passenger window never worked...I looked at it previously and found a spaghetti of cables in there and the power to it disconnected..They had taped it up with duct tape and a 2x4 block to help hold it up and then they had clear taped it closed on the inside and out..The first thing I did was to remove the tape so it would at least open a little...

...It's been 2 years and the weather is getting hot so, it was time to do the fix and also to make the vehicle more secure...

...I contacted Kbabiak, a member and also a great vendor here...He informed me he had a fix and I would no longer have to deal with the cables...

...The time to do this with basic tools (Drill, bit, 7/16 socket) was about 2-2 1/2 hrs...
...Cost = $40

...These are the parts that were sent to me....
Rear_Window_Fix_001.jpg

..And the instructions...They were a little vague so I decided to do this write up...
Rear_Window_Fix_002.jpg

...The first thing was to pull the door panel and locate the rivets that needed to be removed...The 2 on the bottom hold the track bottom in place and will need to be removed...
Rear_Window_Fix_003.jpg

...Then, there is a piece that slides in the track and is riveted with 2 rivets, (one on each side), that holds on to another piece that s attached on the bottom of the window...The one is this picture is easy to get to while the other one is behind the metal...A bit extender would be handy and you will be able to use a hole at the top to drill it out...I did not have my bit extender with me so I got creative and got it done...:D
Rear_Window_Fix_004.jpg

...These pictures just show how I drilled out the soft rivet washers as the rivets are much harder to drill out...
Rear_Window_Fix_005.jpg

Rear_Window_Fix_006.jpg

Rear_Window_Fix_007.jpg

...This is the orientation of the new window motor and it will fit behind the speaker hole and will attach in the 3 rivet holes shown in the above instructions pic...Note: There are 2 tines on the bracket and they hook into the slots in the door behind the speakers...You can see the 2 thin slots in the picture..
Rear_Window_Fix_008.jpg

....There is also another bracket that has to be removed...It is the brass bracket that can be seen thru the holes in this picture...The 2 rivets in the center of the door panel and the third one above the lower speaker hole will need to be removed to remove this bracket...
Rear_Window_Fix_009.jpg

...This is what that removed, not needed, bracket looks like...
Rear_Window_Fix_011.jpg

...This picture just shows how the new motor assembly and new track fit together...
Rear_Window_Fix_010.jpg

...Instead of using the rivets that were sent to me, I recycled and also used a couple spare, nuts and bolts for my assembly...
Rear_Window_Fix_012.jpg

...This is a picture of all the discarded parts from the cable assembly...The old track is about double the width of the new track...
Rear_Window_Fix_013.jpg

...I hope this will help those trying to fix the same problem...I am sure there may be other ways to do this but, this was affordable, quick, and relatively an easy fix...Good Luck on your project...:biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so its just converting the rear windows to the system that a 93-94 uses?

....No, the parts are from the 95-01 to convert the 91-94...;)

...For the price of all the parts it is the way to go, IMHO...:biggthump

....No Problem...:biggthump

...I didn't have the luxury of seeing the cable set up in proper working order and I didn't really want to tackle that...It is nice to know if I ever have a problem with that window, the motor is easy to now, fix or replace, for cheap...:D

Tbars4, This is exactly what I needed. No more cables to use in the rear!! Just one question? Where did you order the parts (track and motor assembly) from? You must know how to read minds!! Thanks again!!

...If you contact Kbabiak he will set you up...You can click on his name at the bottom of the Forums page....;)

Thanks for this write up, I plan to contact this guy to get one for my 91 x that has this very same problem!

...You can easily contact Kbabiak...Just go to the bottom of the Forums page ...;)

I think my dads has this problem with his Explorer. The windows will go down, but not up. :(

So do the cable ones hook up the same as these newer ones?

...They pretty much bolt right in and the new ones have no cables at all...

Well, I did it. Got the regulator replaced, with many many thanks to this write-up.

...What???...No pics???

...Was it as easy as the write up said and what bolts did you use???

I just used some bolts that I found in my garage. The rivets were really a pain in the ... to drill out, but I got them :)

No pics, it was too hot and I was trying to get it done asap.

...Thanks for the update though...:biggthump

...I was out for a couple day's, that's why I didn't respond to your question...;)

I guess I can just use some bolts from the local hardware store

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back