How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights

Does anyone know where the stock fog lamp relay is located? I want to put power to it when the parking lamps are on, not just the low beams. I realy don't want to wire up a new one so if anyone knows where this is it would be greatly appriciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

A big thanks.

Big thumbs up :thumbsup: to you guys for the great mod.

I've only had my Explorer for about two months and I noticed the driving light thing right away, it bugged the heck out of me.

Another case of a vehicle designer :shoot: who probably doesn't have a drivers license and takes the bus to work.

I took the time today to do the fix and with the info I found here it was a cake walk.

Thanks again.

Steve

The only "blue" wire that's in my '98 relay bundle has a "Black" stripe on it.(grd I think),but, no "dark blue" with "light green" stripe... Also mine only has one relay...the other side is empty.. I tryed jumpering all the different holes... ended up blowing a 15 amp fuse...Ford must have done some of these differently for sure.. :confused:

Well, like a big dummy..I searched deep enough into the wire bundle and found the dark blue /w green stripe. I did the mod as suggested,by PghBill and quick spiced it into the w/blk stripe wire (washer pump)..so now the fogs come on with the key in "on- run-acc". If you wire them this way..it won't run your battery down, as someone here mentioned before..if you forget to turn them off...because when you turn the key to the "off" it turns them off as well.I liked this way better..now I can choose to use the fog lights when I want....not with just the low beam headlights as before. :D

LC1500MB said:
. . . I did the mod as suggested,by PghBill and quick spiced it into the w/blk stripe wire (washer pump). . .

I'm glad you found the correct wires. Being independent of the exterior lighting system, you have the most flexibility. Often, I will use the fogs as daytime running lights (without have to burn all the other lights).

taxxman2k said:
Edit 7/16/02 - Lost photo. however photo was just the location of the relay box. If you stand at the font of the truck and look at the air filter box. Then, move down to the mount for the box and look at the right (toward drivers side) of that mount there is a little box with wires going into it. That is the relay box.
box.jpg_idshr

Hey guys, I am new hear but just wanted to add an option. I set up my own seperate switch for the Fog lights. More work but more control. You can run a seperate power wire from a relay to the fog lights supply ( at the light itself ) going through an added relay. Using this relay allows you to get full power direct from the battery ( brightest lights this way ). You install a switch inside that activates the relay. If you want it battery drain proof then have the supply wire for the switch come from Ignition ON source or even safer from an Ignition RUN source. This allows the brightest light and most control. I know it is more work but allows more selective control. I have always rerouted stock fog lights on vehicles to work direct from battery ( main or Aux if you have one ) so you get the most power and I always replace the stock cheesy 18ga wiring with at least 14ga. Just an option for those more electrically inclined.

SC

I read threw this and couldnt find anything on the 02+ If anyone can please point me in the right direction. I really need this mod asap. i put real HID's in my fogs, and keep forgeting when i flash people to get out my way. It gunna burn out soon if i dont get this done.

first try, no test light, worked like a charm. You guys went into too much detail though... Cut the blue/light green wire, and connect the relay box side to taillight feed (brown, behind taillight). That's it. I just did it in literally 40 seconds

I am sorry to bring this up AGAIN im sure this thread has been run over, stomped on, and killed by now... but does anyone with a 95 recall the color of the wire I need to splice?

Also, can I just run a wire from (whatever wire I need to) through my firewall, and up to my fusebox to say, my radio fuse or something?

Does anybody have pics of this yet? If not, if you guys help me through it I will take step by step pictures of it so people like me will stop asking!! :)

In the 4th post or so it tells you the wire color and yes you can hook it to a switched source if you want. All of your questions are answered in the thread.
Sorry, no pics that I know of as it isnt that hard. Once you start it you'll see what I mean.

those of us with 95's I guess are havin trouble with the wire colors... Thats what i was reffering to... Everyone with a 95 said they had to do something different. I am at this point confused

Great post, I'm doin it tomorrow!

I tried this today on my '96 and when I connect the relay side, my passenger headlight is on with the parking lights, and if I connect the other side of the wire I cut, my driver side headlight stays on. If I connect both ends to the brown wire, both headlights stay on with parking lights. I can cut the fog lights on and off with the parking lights, but I have either one or both headlights. Any help?

It would seem that you may have to get a test light and see what color wires do what is posted on pg.1. Once you know what ea. wire does it can then be determined which wire you need to change.
Test lights are about $5 or so and well worth it. You clip the wire to ground and use the ice pick looking end to pierce a wire and see if the light in the handel lights up, telling you that that wire is hot. Once you know what wires do what this mod isnt too bad.

I am trying to do this on a 1997 mountaineer. I have the wire up through the firewall but there is no RED/BLACK wire comming out of the stero. However if you are looking at the back of the stero on the right side there is a plug with 4-5 wires that plugs into nothing. One of these wires is red with a black stripe. Will this one work?

Thanks

01 fog lights

Hey does this work on an 01 Sport. I want to do this mod also. Anyone have any info?

Don't you mean between the relay and the fog lights?

taxxman check this out and tell me if this is what you did... go all the way to the bottom and check out the pictures....

Dead Link Removed

Thanks

Would 18 Gauge wire work for that 12" piece that you need?

Hey does this work on an 01 Sport. I want to do this mod also. Anyone have any info?

i was wondering th same thing could anyone give me any info

Back