how to install a Ford Explorer limited Rearview Mirror into a XLT, AC and cables run? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to install a Ford Explorer limited Rearview Mirror into a XLT, AC and cables run?

fabianoliver

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montevideo - Uruguay
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hi all!
so i've a new to me 94 XLT, the resr mirror is blur, i mean dead.
So looking at replacements, i've seen a limited Rearview Mirror, with some bells and whistles, and seems an atractive alternative.
Someone knows, how to resolve the AC into the mirror?, from where can i pick up 12 volts?, how can i "build" my new rear 6 pin connector?
Any insight will be welcome, thanks for your thoughts!

retrovisor gen 2.jpeg espejo back.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all!
so i've a new to me 94 XLT, the resr mirror is blur, i mean dead.
So looking at replacements, i've seen a limited Rearview Mirror, with some bells and whistles, and seems an atractive alternative.
Someone knows, how to resolve the AC into the mirror?, from where can i pick up 12 volts?, how can i "build" my new rear 6 pin connector?
Any insight will be welcome, thanks for your thoughts!

View attachment 433467 View attachment 433468
is the limited mirror from the same year? do you now what each pin is? if you just want 12v depending on the amperage find a fuse thats hot when the key is in and tap into that one

is the limited mirror from the same year? do you now what each pin is? if you just want 12v depending on the amperage find a fuse thats hot when the key is in and tap into that one
Hello fix, yes is from the same year
This kind of mirrors works as you open the door as an interior light ( in auto?) or just if the key is in? I cannot find info on that….

This kind of mirrors works as you open the door as an interior light ( in auto?) or just if the key is in? I cannot find info on that….
i dont have those mirrors, so im not sure if its when the door opens or if its when driving. is there a light on it?

The auto is for the automatic headlight option. It’s also auto dimming if there are lights behind you.

Ok, i'm going to try to find a pin diagram of the mirror itself, and then figure out how to wire it.
Seems more difficult the automatic headlight option wiring.....

Ok, i've found an answer from bigcountry ( august 6, 2003).
He has or had a 1998 XLS 4x4, so i guess his answer relates to his truck, but maybe is the same color wiring and relay box position in Gen1, i don't know.
He wrotes:

"First get the mirror with the wire connectors...and make sure you have enough so when you add your own wires to it, that your connectors will not to showing...hide them in your headliner, not thru your windshield, then...remove your old one just take a screwdriver and pop it off from under it...then put the new one one...make sure you put it on tight...or it might shake alot...now for the wires

PIN 2: WHITE/ PURPLE: park lamp relay (relay module)...look by your gas pedal on the right, behind the center of the dash above the floor heater/ ac vacuum valve motor...there is a long black relay box...remove it and open it up, if you look at it with the big relay which is the accessory delay relay on the left...the park lamp relay is the bottom second small relay...splice into the white/ purple wire that is coming off of pin 2, you will see it also going to the dimmer relay and head lamp relay...this wire is for your auto lamp to come on when you shut your vehicle off and to come on if it senses if it is dark enough...this wire should also connect up to your RAP module pin 8... (if equipped)

PIN 3: BLACK/ PINK: reverse light...run this back to the reverse light...this is so if you have your dimmer on...and when you put it in reverse, the dimmer will cut off so you can see thru the mirror when backing up...this wire should also connect up to you RAP module pin 12...(if equipped)

PIN 4: BLACK: ground...any ground...

PIN 5: LIGHT GREEN/ YELLOW: hot @ all times: interior fuse panel pin 36...remove the fuse box and find the light green/ yellow wire coming off of pin 36 and splice into it...

PIN 6: RED/ WHITE: Hot @ ignition: interior fuse panel pin 11...remove th e fuse box and find the red/ white wire coming off of pin 11 and splice into it...

and that is it to it...good luck...any questions are welcomed..."

thanks Big country

and a pic from another member:

Pin side mirror plug.jpeg

I'd get the connector from a junkyard donor, or look through the Ford connectors PDF linked in my sig, "maybe" it's there.

I also have a wiring diagram for electrochromic mirror, not sure what model years it applies to, but might give some idea of one way those have been wired.

Attachments

• mirrors-electrochromic-mirror-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    30 KB · Views: 34

Those auto headlight mirrors have a short harness that runs from the mirror down into the dash along the A pillar. It's simple yes, but the wires go behind the dash, so it's not simple to try to add those wires. I kept my 93 Limited mirror with my 99 Limited truck rebuild, the wires were there in both trucks. I can't recall if the connectors were the same at the mirrors, my 99 had no mirror(junkyard find). I liked the old version slightly better(91-94) because they are locked on by a set screw. The 95+ mirrors are a press fit into the mirror bracket, they become loose(vibrate) over time.
93 Limited mirror.JPG

^ Might help to use a length of coat hanger to fish the wires through the dash?

It's been so long since I rebuilt that 99, I don't recall where that short harness plugged into. I had it in place when I put the dash back in, so I think it plugs into the body harness in the kick panel area. I had the spare original body harness because it was cut before I bought the truck. That was a common option mirror in the 2nd gens, but very rare in the 1st gen(only the Limited I think).

I believe the connector needed is shown below on the far left, the black connector next to the large grey dash connector.

99LeftInnereWiring.JPG

Back