How to remove 3M double sided tape from window deflectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove 3M double sided tape from window deflectors

I currently have the Ford OEM Window Deflectors / Window Vents on my '16 Explorer. I've never really been in love with them since I put them on, as I have the silver car with the top of the window line going down the car - the car window frames/pillars are black and make a nice clean line of black down the side of the car with the silver above it (I hope that makes sense). With the Ford vents with the double-sided 3M tape, the top of the vents is higher than that nice black line, thus breaking up the "clean look" of it. (I'd take a picture but I already took them off).

So, aside from the OEM deflectors breaking that line, my front passenger door deflector started peeling off, flapping around while driving, so it gave me an excuse to replace them with the Weather Tech in-channel vents, which I bought months ago. I'm just now getting around to wanting to put them on SO I pulled off the Ford OEM Deflectors - and, of course, 1/2 the 3M tape stayed on the car - so now I have a nice, sticky outline of gooey tape, tape residue around all my windows. Before I put the Weather Tech deflectors on, what is the best way to remove all the tape goo and remaining tape "foam"? I have Goo Gone but I'm not sure if it's safe on car paint.

Does anyone know the best way to remove a LARGE amount of 3M double sided tape residue without harming the finish?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am told the best way is a whizzy wheel or 3m pinstripe-vinyl removal wheel. It's like an eraser wheel for a power drill

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=whizzy+wheel
I watched a youtube video with a man showing how to do that - and I'd be WAY to afraid of doing it too hard or fast and taking the paint off. I saw several videos that said Goof Off (not Goo Gone, it's too harsh - so says the videos) works well but that plain WD-40 works best - just soak it, let it sit a few minutes, and wipe it off, then apply polish/wax. Personally, ALL those options make me nervous! But I'm going to try the WD-40 thing in a spot and see how it goes.

WD-40 should be fine, but is a solvent. Make sure to wash it all off.

Heat with a hairdryer and slowly peel it off. Once off, follow-up with some goo gone, clean with soap and water, and wax the area. I have used this method to remove dealer stickers, etcc, with no problems and no impact on paint. And I am picky about the finish/shine on my ride. :)

I currently have the Ford OEM Window Deflectors / Window Vents on my '16 Explorer. I've never really been in love with them since I put them on, as I have the silver car with the top of the window line going down the car - the car window frames/pillars are black and make a nice clean line of black down the side of the car with the silver above it (I hope that makes sense). With the Ford vents with the double-sided 3M tape, the top of the vents is higher than that nice black line, thus breaking up the "clean look" of it. (I'd take a picture but I already took them off).

So, aside from the OEM deflectors breaking that line, my front passenger door deflector started peeling off, flapping around while driving, so it gave me an excuse to replace them with the Weather Tech in-channel vents, which I bought months ago. I'm just now getting around to wanting to put them on SO I pulled off the Ford OEM Deflectors - and, of course, 1/2 the 3M tape stayed on the car - so now I have a nice, sticky outline of gooey tape, tape residue around all my windows. Before I put the Weather Tech deflectors on, what is the best way to remove all the tape goo and remaining tape "foam"? I have Goo Gone but I'm not sure if it's safe on car paint.

Does anyone know the best way to remove a LARGE amount of 3M double sided tape residue without harming the finish?

I forgot to say what I ended up doing - Sorry!

I first tried the WD-40 route. I took a raggy towel and shut it in the door, since the goo was on the A pillar (I believe it's called - the side windshield pillar), and then across the top side above the door, and sprayed the WD-40. I used a clean microfiber towel and rubbed hard, sprayed more, let it sit, rubbed some more. It worked but I wouldn't say it was great - and I hate the smell.

I then tried a product I had on hand called Duck (brand) Adhesive Remover - it has a "felt applicator" bottle top (just tip the bottle upside down, squeeze a bit, and rub it on the stuff to remove). I saturated the goo, let it sit a minute, then used the microfiber towel again. For the areas that the leftover "sticky" was light, it came right off. For the heavier areas, it took some extra elbow grease and several applications of the Adhesive Remover, but I did finally get it all off of all 4 doors. Afterwards, I used a soapy rag and washed each side of the car off and I opened the doors using the soapy rag to wipe the inside door threshold and wiped it clean with a clean microfiber rag.

So, in my opinion, the Duck Adhesive Remover was the clear winner over the WD-40 (and less smelly...more tolerable, anyway). Honestly, I think going to the trouble of using one of the wheel things some of you spoke of (and I watched a YouTube video) would have been complete overkill for this issue. Though I can see where it would have it's uses on the heavier, thicker stick-on stuff used on emblems or other things. And I'd still be scared to death of messing up my paint. Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!

Back