How To: Remove/Replace 3rd Gen Door Panel | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Remove/Replace 3rd Gen Door Panel

Roger that Big Rondo. Old habits die hard and all every other door panel I had ever removed either was screwed on or had the push in tabs so I was bumfuzzled there for about ten minutes, down on the ground trying to peer behind the panel to find the connectors and lo and behold there weren't any! Thats when the light went off and I figured it out. Your help made it so much easier than it would have been otherwise so again THANKS a million for the great info provided.

Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are welcome!! Carry on. :salute:

I remember a few years back when I installed new speakers in my explorer when I removed the window switches all the front clips on them broke I had to put a little of super glue on them when I put the door panel back together:(

I remember a few years back when I installed new speakers in my explorer when I removed the window switches all the front clips on them broke I had to put a little of super glue on them when I put the door panel back together:(

It happens. Back in the day we didn't have the internet and had to figure this stuff out ourselves. it's good have resources like this!

It happens. Back in the day we didn't have the internet and had to figure this stuff out ourselves. it's good have resources like this!

Your right about that!! I learned so much from here & youtube videos few years ago I wouldn't really touch notting under the hood then I realized how easy things were to do from help from videos & websites like this! Also saving money too now if i'm not to sure about something i'll bring it in the shop if I think I cant do it.

It is a beautiful thing! :p:

i had this dang door panel off so many times looking for the wire shorts that i can do it in my sleep. But this write up is right on the money. wish it was here when i first started the electrical fix. Good job.

i had this dang door panel off so many times looking for the wire shorts that i can do it in my sleep. But this write up is right on the money. wish it was here when i first started the electrical fix. Good job.

Thank you. I'm happy to help out. :D

Hi,
Anyone got a 3rd gen rear door panel removal steps....i need to change out the outside right rear door handle.

Hi,
Anyone got a 3rd gen rear door panel removal steps....i need to change out the outside right rear door handle.

This IS the write-up. The procedure is the same for the 4 doors. The only difference is the driver door having more switches & the rear doors not having the lock/unlock switch.

Follow this write-up and you will fine. :thumbsup:

OMG! What an awsome resource this site is. I just found a broken wire in the door boot that I would never have even looked for if I hadn't found this forum. I had the door off and the wire spliced and put back together in less than an hour. Can you imagine what the dealership would have charged? My windows work great now and I know where to find help I something else goes wrong......

OMG! What an awsome resource this site is. I just found a broken wire in the door boot that I would never have even looked for if I hadn't found this forum. I had the door off and the wire spliced and put back together in less than an hour. Can you imagine what the dealership would have charged? My windows work great now and I know where to find help I something else goes wrong......

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Nice job on the fix! :D:thumbsup:

Great instructions!!! I love the flatware tool. Are you required to remove the door panel to access the wires in the rubber tube at the door and finder? I just wanted to make sure before I pulled the driver side door panel. Thanks for the assistance, Mach1

Great instructions!!! I love the flatware tool. Are you required to remove the door panel to access the wires in the rubber tube at the door and finder? I just wanted to make sure before I pulled the driver side door panel. Thanks for the assistance, Mach1

Thank you. :thumbsup:

The flatware tool is very versatile. :p:

If you take off the door panel & remove the speaker, then you have great access to the wires in the rubber boot on the door side.

It helps to know what wires you are looking for. I have the shop manuals & wiring diagrams and can assist. Let me know. ;):thumbsup:

2005 Explorer XLT Flex

:thumbsup:
I am trying to get my keyless pad working on the drivers side door. It was lighting up late this afternoon but when I entry the code nothing happens. I have two codes one the used car dealer gave me (Ford plastic card) with the owners manual.
When I could not get the keyless pad to work, I remove the right rear passager seat belt / shoulder belt cover to get to the CPU unit and it was a different number and it does not work either.
I know there was a service bulletin issued by Ford that the control under the drivers seat had a grounding issue. This can result in a number of locking and window issues.
If the keyless pad lights are coming on when it is not raining. Could I have a keyless pad issue? How do I get the pad off to verify if water is creating the issue? HELP!
Thanks in Advance. :)
I need to know the color of the wires.

windows only work when door is open

so we have a 2003 explorer that the windows will work only when the door is open. soon as you shut the door, none of the windows work - is this likely a bad wire somewhere between the boot at the hinge or inside the door?

windows only work when door is open

yep, just got thru the process of removing the door panel and voila! peel back some electrical tape and thar she was, black wire severed. now for the tricky part of making a splice right there between the door and the front quarter panel.... I am really starting to love this forum! now if my nissan titan forum could just be so helpful!!!

yep, just got thru the process of removing the door panel and voila! peel back some electrical tape and thar she was, black wire severed. now for the tricky part of making a splice right there between the door and the front quarter panel.... I am really starting to love this forum! now if my nissan titan forum could just be so helpful!!!

Nicely done. :D:thumbsup:

Take your time splicing the wires. See if you can pull the broken wire into the door & into the cabin. Then splice a jumper wire between the 2.

Good luck with the fix!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

waaaaahoooooo!!!! another glorious victory!!! replaced blend actuator door, now I have fixed the windows, I feel like a man again. now if I could get my wife to share in that notion....

Back