Hubs on our Explorers

Cobraguy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0
I am rebuilding one of my Explorers. In the process, I've swapped to a 4406 behind the 4R70W. But I want to also disconnect the front axle if possible. So someone here mentioned the 98 to 01 Ranger using vacuum hubs. Then, they make an aftermarket manual hub to replace the finnicky vacuum hubs. So I started my research. This is the first encouraging thing I found:

http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=57107&highlight=vacuum+hubs

Looks like someone thinks it's possible without a lot of work! So then I found this...which gives you a good idea of what parts you're looking at:

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/spring07/98_00_Ranger_hub_bearing.htm

Then you can install these:

http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/products_id/26509

I need to do some price checking. I also need to confirm what the original poster meant my you needing to change the "CV". Does he mean the entire axle? Or just the outer half? Or something else entirely? Once I have that cleared up, I might proceed with this. It's not going to be cheap, but if you really want a true unlockable 4X4, then this is the answer. This is what I've always had in my 4X4's. During the winter months, I just left the hubs locked so all I had to do is flip the lever into 4WD when I had ice and snow. (this is when I lived in Idaho) During the rest of the year, I turned them out and essentially had 2WD. Much nicer.

410Fortune...I'll bet you would be interested in this since you originally were interested in a '95 axle disconnect. This would be even better other than you wouldn't be able to engage the axle with the flip of a switch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've wondered about this, keep us posted.

Got your wheels turning too, huh JT?

I can't see why this wouldn't work. But right now, my plate is pretty full. I'm rebuilding the engine, trans, transfer case, and rear diff. But I am also going to freshen the front end. So this won't be as expensive for me as it might be for others because I was going to buy front hub and bearing assy's anyway. I think I'll look around for used axles from a Ranger and see what I can find.

It just got a little better.

http://www.cardone.com/English/Club/Products/webcat/bypart.asp

Those are $70 a piece at Rock Auto. Dirt cheap. And A-1 Cardone is a very good, high quality rebuilder. Timken has the hub/bearing assy's for $200 each. I wouldn't buy those off shore brands in the link above. So now, you are looking at $400 for bearings/hubs, $140 for axles, and $115 for hubs. Just over $650. You might need a couple of odds and ends too like snap rings. So it's a bit pricy, but that's basically all new stuff. Still haven't priced out the stuff from a junk yard.

i've always wondered how much gas i could save if i could disconnect and just freewheel up front. i figured out every MPG i save is like $150 for a year, so even if it didnt pay for itself in a year it should the next. if you do this take some pics and keep us updated.

I'm definitely going to do it. No doubt!!! I just don't know when! LOL And funds are getting a bit tight with all I'm doing now.

Hey Fortune...got any money stashed???? You want this...you know you do!!

A few guys at offroadrangers did this mod to 01+ rangers. Quite a few 98-00 guys also swapped to live axle.
Personally, after owning both, I wouldn't spend the money to go back to the manual hubs. The only manual hubs available are from AVM and they aren't the best of quality. I don't think I've heard of anyone blowing them up yet, but they tend to fall off (even with 3.0L engines). Yeah... If you've seen how the hubs on 98-00 rangers mount, you would understand. They are just held on by friction clips. Don't get me wrong, they are a huge improvement from the auto hubs, but the Explorer live axle is much stronger obviously. I suppose the only advantage if you wheel, is that the hub will be the weak link and should break (fall off) before you break a cv joint.
If you don't wheel your explorer at all, it would be fine. But you would spend a lot of extra money for very little (if any) gain in mpgs or performance. I couldn't hardly tell any difference on my ranger with the hubs engaged or disengaged. Mileage wasn't enough of a difference to measure, maybe 1 mpg.
You will need to hub/bearing assemblies, halfshafts, and the AVM hubs themselves. Some guys buy the bearing assemblies used, but that's asking for trouble in my opinion.

I have been aware of Ranger owners not happy with those hubs so I think I will skip it
:)
Would be nice to free wheel the CV's, or at least an axle shaft so the ring and pinion and front d shaft would not spin in 2wd, but those hubs are weak so not for me!! I would worry running a cammed gt-40 5.0L with 33" tires while towing in the sand or snow.. a hub goes SNAP and we're in deep trouble.....

Good point Fortune...but where mine is nothing more than a daily driver that will see occasional 4WD duty when I'm in Flagstaff, etc, I think these will work out for me.

I've seen how the hubs are held on. Not the best in the world. I can't help but think machining a groove for a snap ring couldn't be done. End of problem. Be just like every Warn hub we ever had. It's a thought anyway. But regardless, I'm going to try it. Right now, I'm searching for an entire front axle assy. They are scarce, so that may not be the way to go. But I was looking for cheap! :) At least until I see if this will work ok.

Back