HVAC Module Programming

vintage2

Reaction score
City, State
washington, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
13 PIU
Hello,

I'm looking to flash the HVAC firmware (calibration, strategy, ecu *.vbf) files in my 2013 PIU in order to enable automatic climate control. I'm updating to SYNC 2/3 and the 4" sync bezel / HVAC don't work, basically forcing fail mode full-blast. I'll also be wiring up climate controlled seats (with the TEDs, not the heated pads). I'm hoping to avoid purchasing a different module as the hardware looks pretty much the same, leaving software / firmware probably being the major difference.

Anyway, does anyone with automatic HVAC heated + cooled seats happen to know the correct numbers of the calibration, strategy, ecu *.vbf files used on a 2011-2015? I've randomly googled, downloaded and flashed the numbers (via forscan firmware flashing) of some Taurus Sho firmware files but obviously those lack the rear climate control.

This is the stock MANUAL firmware listing:

Part Number: DB5T-19980-AF
Calibration Level: DB5T-19980-AF
Hardware Number: DB5T-14F213-AA
Secondary Boot Loader: CB5T-14C181-AA
Strategy: DB5T-14C178-EA
Calibration: DB5T-14C179-EB
ECU Configuration: CB5T-14C673-AA

AUTO firmware listing:

???

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Good luck.

Peter

From a 2013 Explorer Sport VIN, here is the latest calibration available:

SBL: CB5T-14C181-AA
ECU Software: DB5T-14C178-AK
ECU Config: CB5T-14C673-AA
ECU Calibration: DB5T-14C179-AM

Here is the software from a 2013 Limited, again the latest calibration:
SBL: BB5T-18D618-AB
ECU Software: DB5T-18D619-AL
ECU Config: BB5T-14C651-BA
ECU Calibration: DB5T-18D620-CM

Software in the Explorer XLT is the same except for the ECU Calibration: DB5T-18D620-AM

Thank you so much PlatinumOwner! I will say simply flashing the auto SPORT firmware listed above to the manual PIU worked for me. Everything appears to be working perfectly except rear defrost for some reason. I'll poke around tomorrow as I just got the 8" bezel today.

PS. Note that if you're looking to flash the limited's firmware listed above, it won't work properly due to that HVAC module has a different board, containing a third plug (c228c on factory wiring diagram). It appears only ambient lighting functionality is on it, though.

Rear defrost and climate controlled seats work with the Sport firmware; so if you have a J2534 scantool, I'd recommend going this route if you want auto AC or sync 2/3.

Back