I did the TB spacer mod | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I did the TB spacer mod

Still satisfied with mine post mod. No lag here. She's running like a top.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The teeth must do something. Ford isn't going to waste .05 cents worth of extra plastic if they don't need to...

Cross6, I have heard/read two different reasons for having the teeth. There was a complaint I think at one time a swoosh sound or whistling sound that annoyed some. The teeth were supposed to remedy that. The other thing I heard was that for at least the drive-by-wire '04+ models, there was the fear that the new system would be too abrupt in the throttle response so they added the teeth to delay or smooth out the throttle response. It's funny that it had the opposite effect. It over compensated and created a delay which you hear people complain about. To some extent the trucks computer could be reflashed for better operation but it wouldn't fix the problem. I had my Ex checked when I bought it used and it had the latest flash. I still had the lag. Since taking the teeth away and smoothing that intake path the lag has disappeared. Others have found out the same thing. Every little detail is obviously not worked out before Ford put the vehicle on the road. Why should that surprise anyone. Sadly, everyone seems to cut corners all the time. I don't mind because for the most part I love my Ex and will keep her going for as long as I can.

is this only for 3rd gens?

I think it was 3rd gens only and on V6 models but I would have to recheck. Prior to '04 I think the teeth were actually in the metal of the throttle body. '04s made it easy with just having the plastic spacer with the teeth. The mod was pretty simple and the results were immediate. A good tweak for an Ex.

Well, I did the throttle body spacer mod this morning on my '04 V6. I eliminated the fins and ground them down with my Dremel. Followed up with sanding the surface smooth and cleaned the throttle body while I was at it. Also sprayed the inside of the plenum with intake cleaner while I had everything off. Put everything back on, cleaned electrical contacts, reconnected them and cranked the Ex. After, several miles of stop and go I can say I definitely notice much better throttle response which is what I was after. I don't think I will get an aftermarket CAI but instead just get a K&N replacement for my factory flat filter. All in all glad I did the mod because I accomplished what I wanted. Thanks for all those that have posted their how-to's. This greatly reduces the lag of the drive-by wire throttle on the '04s. For anyone looking for a simple mod give it a try.

Don't bother with the K$N. It won't make a difference, and you'll be ingesting a ton of dirt with it.

Throttle body gasket

I think it was 3rd gens only and on V6 models but I would have to recheck. Prior to '04 I think the teeth were actually in the metal of the throttle body. '04s made it easy with just having the plastic spacer with the teeth. The mod was pretty simple and the results were immediate. A good tweak for an Ex.

The photos below are of my 2000 SOHC V6 stock 65.3mm outlet diameter throttle body and comb gasket.
TBnGFrt.jpg

I replaced the above with a 75mm racing ported and polished throttle body and a homemade adapter gasket for the 10mm diameter change from the throttle body to the intake manifold.
Adapter.jpg

INOPEN.JPG

There was a significant improvement in throttle response and a slight increase in intake noise.

My bad on the series history. Great job on the mod. It makes a difference for sure.

The photos below are of my 2000 SOHC V6 stock 65.3mm outlet diameter throttle body and comb gasket.
View attachment 60881

I replaced the above with a 75mm racing ported and polished throttle body and a homemade adapter gasket for the 10mm diameter change from the throttle body to the intake manifold.
View attachment 60882
View attachment 60883
There was a significant improvement in throttle response and a slight increase in intake noise.

what did you use to make the adapter. Is the throttle body aftermarket or off like a mustang or something?

Cutting board adapter

what did you use to make the adapter. Is the throttle body aftermarket or off like a mustang or something?

I used my wife's old kitchen cutting board. It was the right thickness, firm but compressible to seal well, and easy to cut.

Did anybody's "service engine soon" light come on after doing this mod. I unhooked the battery terminal after doing it and it's still on? Any suggestions? If anybody follows this thread anymore

Did anybody's "service engine soon" light come on after doing this mod. I unhooked the battery terminal after doing it and it's still on? Any suggestions? If anybody follows this thread anymore

Did you happen to disconnect it BEFORE you did the mod? Is it acting up? What is the code it is throwing?

Yes I disconnected it before the mod. I cant remember the exact codes but it basically says I'm running lean on banks 1 and 2. Obviously I'm getting more air in but I didn't think it would be enough to throw a code. Should I just reset it and forget it? Thanks HiImBrian, you've came to my rescue a few times.

Yes I disconnected it before the mod. I cant remember the exact codes but it basically says I'm running lean on banks 1 and 2. Obviously I'm getting more air in but I didn't think it would be enough to throw a code. Should I just reset it and forget it? Thanks HiImBrian, you've came to my rescue a few times.

Glad I can help! If you have access to a scanner and can remove the codes then yeah, go ahead. If there is actually an issue then we can get into it when they come back.

Honestly, the TB mod doesn't REALLY give you more air flow. It just removes the restriction and allows it to flow more smoothly. You can also remove the little plastic resonator chambers attached to your intake tube. Just plug the holes with PVC caps.

You may want to pick up some MAF & TB cleaner and get a K&N drop-in (washable) for your newly drilled out airbox. Just good to have around.

And make sure to poke around the Modified sub-forum. That's where it REALLY starts to get fun....

yeah Ive had my explorer for over a year and just now started modifying it. What was I thinking, should of done it sooner its so addicting. I plan on doing the "stage 2" air intake mod tomorrow to really weep the benefits. I removed the code and it still runs great, shocked on the difference this makes.

I just wanted to throw an update. My "Service Engine Soon" light came back on. The codes were the same as before, banks 1 & 2 running lean. So what I did was unhook the battery terminal and re tighten the bolts on the throttle body. Hooked everything back up and that cured the problem. Im pretty sure the bolt on the throttle body wasnt tight enough and not getting a good seal.

I read somewhere on this site were if your system is running lean, that means your getting unaccounted for air from somewhere. Meaning, that their is air coming in through the intake system that isnt going past the MAF sensor.

Just wanted to post this in case someone else has/had this problem

Back