I dont want to replace the rear hub/bearings. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I dont want to replace the rear hub/bearings.

springwater

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer V6 4.0
I did both of the front hubs. That was a pain but from everything Ive read about the rears, I REALLY dont want to do them.

Its getting louder every day. :(

I'm just gonna sell it.

:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did both of the front hubs. That was a pain but from everything Ive read about the rears, I REALLY dont want to do them.

Its getting louder every day. :(

I'm just gonna sell it.

:roll:

So, What is your point, Grandma? All things mechanical fail eventually. I replaced rear hubs/bearings on my 2004, uneventfully. Why are you telling us this, in such a way? We are all here to find out, and LEARN how to work on this ****. imp

So, What is your point, Grandma? All things mechanical fail eventually. I replaced rear hubs/bearings on my 2004, uneventfully. Why are you telling us this, in such a way? We are all here to find out, and LEARN how to work on this ****. imp

Venting/complaining.

Thats true but my front hubs went bad at 35k miles and now the rear is starting to growl at 45k.

I was perusing the DIY thread on the rear hub replacement and people's experiences were anything but uneventful.

Or send me your knuckle as a core and I'll send you a complete knuckle for a fee.

Is that easier than replacing the hub?

Could you tell me whats involved?

Maybe this video can be used as a reference to the part youd like me to send:

Replacing the bearing sucks but I've done it enough times I know what I'm doing. I can't see the video on my phone. You'd send me the whole piece that the bearing is in, I'd send you one back.

I had one of my rear bearings repaired January last year and it was about $490 at the shop. I overpaid but it was the only option I had.

If you decide to go ahead with the fix. I'd say forget the parking brakes on em. Source the mustang rear calipers for the disk parking brake. Imo.

If you decide to go ahead with the fix. I'd say forget the parking brakes on em. Source the mustang rear calipers for the disk parking brake. Imo.

I never put them back in either. I'm gonna look into that swap.

I looked into that swap and couldn't find anything relevant. Can you PM me with some info or thread links so as not to hijack this thread?

It is a pain. I do everything myself, and even I farmed this one out to a local shop. They had to send the knuckles off to another shop to press the old bearings out...they were on the verge of breaking their press. My vehicle has minimal rust and corrosion, too. Shop around, it can probably be done for $500 or less.

Or, sell the truck to me or Jake.

I'm like Josh I have a shop and do all my own work. I do not have a press though, so I take the knuckles and parts to a local garage. It nearly broke their press as well, two men on it and for safety concerns they ended up evacuating two bays once it was loaded up. Everyone went to the break room for coffee and then it went off like a gunshot. Scared them all. I hate even taking them down there but they always do it. YMMV

Venting/complaining.

Thats true but my front hubs went bad at 35k miles and now the rear is starting to growl at 45k.

I was perusing the DIY thread on the rear hub replacement and people's experiences were anything but uneventful.

Sorry to hear that. I did the rear bearings using Chinese-made "crap" 50,000 miles ago, no problems. Fronts I expect next. A bearing growls a bit on long curves to the left, indicating left front has some pitting. If these bearing sets are properly installed, not hammered by some moron with a big banger, they should last quite awhile, IMO. Sorry if I came on so strong. imp

Back