I have a question about my interior? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a question about my interior?

i was just wondering if eny body have eny pics or some thing

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177222

This shows where I did the bumper, rockers, and interior. Its louder, but it doesnt bother me. The heat really isnt an issue in the summer (I rarely use AC), but it is a little colder in the winter. Really this mod depends on what direction you want your ride to take. If its like me, and you just want one you can work out of, and really are not picky about having a "pretty truck", then its a good one. If you like the nicer looking rides, then you need to find carpet, or a rubber floor liner thats cut for the floor. JC Whitney, LMC have both the carpet and the liner.

FYI I just bought the $7 spray can bed liner from autozone. I used four cans to do all that I wanted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hahaha... the Hootus thread... I just read all of it...

But, as for the Herculiner, I'm considering the same thing, but the suggestion of rubber lining seems to make more sense... or diamond plate...

ya know... im starting to like the idea of a gutted/painted interior...BTW gettin the stuff or paint on ur junk is accualy easy... its wet on ur finger you forget, and go to take a piss and tada...ive done it with grease and oil before.

Grease and oil yeah, but Herculiner? :rolleyes:

I operate machinery for a living, and anytime I'm working on the machines I wear latex gloves so's I don't get grease/diesel/hydraulic fluid all over them... I hate the feeling of that stuff on my bare hands... so when I go to pull my cellphone out or use the john I take my gloves off. A big box of latex gloves is so cheap that I don't mind using a couple pairs...

Grease and oil yeah, but Herculiner? :rolleyes:

I operate machinery for a living, and anytime I'm working on the machines I wear latex gloves so's I don't get grease/diesel/hydraulic fluid all over them... I hate the feeling of that stuff on my bare hands... so when I go to pull my cellphone out or use the john I take my gloves off. A big box of latex gloves is so cheap that I don't mind using a couple pairs...

^^^^ what he said!

Nice... love the Hitachi's... I run excavators primarily, although I have used a Cat backhoe... as for the machinery, the company I work for owns a couple 1/2 ton (?) Kubotas, two Bobcat 331's, an older Hitachi 60, and a Hitachi 270LC, plus a couple skidsteers, the Cat, and a few trucks... I've run all the excavators, but I'm more of a precision guy, so I prefer the small machines... Working (and driving) in places where there's only an inch or two of clearance is what really gets me off... =P

Just do it and get it over with. I love mine. Yes, it is a bit colder in the winter and warmer durring the summer. Yes, it is a bit louder (you'll hear sounds from your engine and tranny you've never herd before). But it is def. worth it. Here is my write up: http://explorerchic.proboards82.com/index.cgi?board=doityourself&action=display&thread=1167083614

I posted this exact same write up in the "Article Submission For Elite Explorer Membership" OVER 2 MONTHS AGO and it still hasn't shown up. . . .

im not a big fan of the glove the always ened up tearing too soon.

how did you put the high performance steering wheel on it?

One of the best functional mods I have done so far...

My interior now is really raggedy and beat up and instead of paying a lot of money for new carpeting then I was wondering if it would be a good idea just to pull it all up and paint over the metal with that truck bed lining paint I was wondering if there would be any draw backs:D

I removed all my carpet and installed herculiner myself (but not on my hootus, LMAO) The key is the prep work. I used a wire wheel on a drill to remove all the insulation pad and scuff the bare metal up. Then I used mineral spirits to clean everything up before I put the herculiner down. Taped everything off and put 2 full coats all over and 3 coats in the most exposed areas. Here is my car domain site that has some pictures.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2088459/3

If your truck or you travel alot in mud or dirt I would highly recommend this. I went out muddin this past weekend and had mud caked on my boots and all in my floor boards. I simple parked on an incline, pulled a couple of plugs in the back (to drain the water), and proceeded to wash all the mud/dirt out with a water hose. If I would have had carpet it would have been ruined.

im not a big fan of the glove the always ened up tearing too soon.

Nitrile (sp?) gloves made a believer out of me. They are pretty tough.

I'm somewhat torn between doing the Herculiner with an entirely stripped look, and just putting in a rubber lining over the existing carpet and keeping everything fairly stock... I suppose stripping everything would work better for me... I'll probably end up keeping all the carpeting and trim panels and all so that if I ever have to replace them I don't have to buy ones from the junkers... then again, I could probably make a few bucks for some mint-condition panels and carpeting...

And this may be a stupid question, but does anyone know the size of the Torx bits required to remove the seats and seatbelts? I have about six small ones of varying sizes that work perfectly for the dash panels and the like, but I need a couple larger ones for the seats and seatbelt mounts, and I'm not up for buying an entire set just to use one or two out of it.

Edit: Used a tape measure to figure out the size of the screw head and compared it with ones at the shop... it's a Torx #50 if anyone's interested... Same for both front and back belts I think... it's a little bit too big for the bolts in the seat backs of the rear seats though...

Back