i may have broken my lifter while cleaning it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i may have broken my lifter while cleaning it

cerberusaardvark

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer xlt
i was following one of the clean your own lifters threads and on step number one i broke one of the lip tabs off of the lifter cup.

does this mean i need to go get another lifter? or are there places i can get just the top cup?

my lifters are the old factory ones, but non of them seem to be collapsed or scored/damaged. just dirty.

can i get away with blasting them with cleaner or do i have to disassemble all the way and risk more breakage?

this is on the heels of a head replacement, rocker arm and pushrod replacement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If none of them are collapsed, you don't need to completely disassemble them, but it just makes it easier/possible to get them entirely clean.

If you don't want to risk breaking/losing anything else, you can just clean them by spraying in cleaner and letting them soak.

There don't seem to be any sources for the top cups, I'd suggest posting in the "wanted" forums, some members may have spare lifter parts and be able to send you what you need.

They just snap on so unless it broke it can snap back on.if not I have spares if you need one;)I would break them down and clean them , no way to break them besides that cap...

Yep there are 4 mounting tabs on the bottom of the cup and one broke off. I at least wanted to take that and the first cap out so I could plunge it in cleaner and then in fresh oil but I'm nervous as it seems each break means replacing a 50 dollar lifter. Jd I would love some of the cups but times a factor for me and I'm trying to move fast on the build at this point. I might hit u up if I break more of these though:)

Yep there are 4 mounting tabs on the bottom of the cup and one broke off. I at least wanted to take that and the first cap out so I could plunge it in cleaner and then in fresh oil but I'm nervous as it seems each break means replacing a 50 dollar lifter. Jd I would love some of the cups but times a factor for me and I'm trying to move fast on the build at this point. I might hit u up if I break more of these though:)

I hear ya, just don't rush to much..you are playing with the heart of the truck, rush anything when it comes to the motor may cause a heart attack later on..lol

Back