OK, it's a lifter! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OK, it's a lifter!

How are you replacing just one rocker arm? on the 4.0 its normally an assembly.. for < $200 you get 2 sets of rocker arms and a set of pushrods...

I do have one set of (for one head) of rocker arms.. but one of the arms is bad.. (would need to be swapped with your best).

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, good question! I am having someone do it. He said he bought one rocker arm from Ford and replaced it. Afterwards, the noise persisted, so he will have to go in aggain, at no charge, and replace another.

He gave me the old part, but he is new to me and maybe.....?

Anyway, maybe he is dishonest, I don;t know, but I do nto have the time to get in there myself.

E

Here it is.. for $181 + $42 core charge you get this.. My guess is the mechanic just doesn't know this kit exists...

4.0-rockers.jpg

pic/price taken from.. http://www.deltacam.com/index.php

~Mark

is the noise just one or is it coming from all of them?

he should have replaced that whole assembly call deltacams they are good people and probably will sell u just one side and rods they worked with me.that would be your best bet and if you still hear it after then u know u have a bad lifter,you can allways try the old atf trick after to see if that will clean the lifters out

Well, thanks, I agree that replacing the entire assembly, both sides is a good idea, we did not do that.

Update. Pulled rocker arm cover, and the rocker arms, while a little scrubbed, look OK. Its a lifter. Pulling the head, replacing 1 or more lifters.

Here's the deal. With the rocker arm cover off, there is no real noticeable lash! However, when hot (regular running temp) the thud-thud-thud is clearly a lifter assembly noise!

So, where to go? Check push rods for mushrooming? Replace 6 lifters on the noisy side (passengers)?

Lastly, anyone ever use "Cutaway oil band style" lifters? :eek:

E

Honestly a lifter is not going to affect the performance to bad. i have driven on a bad lifter for a long time.... its a thing i fix when i have the money to replace all lifters and extra components......

Your 10000% sure its a lifter?

Usually lifters don't make a thud. Main bearing make thudding noises. And usually when the motor gets hot and the oil thins up a bit, you start to hear the noise.

Taking the fanbelt off would be a good test, as sometimes the constant upward pull of the belt on the crank pulley will make that front crank bearing clearance grow a bit, with age. I believe Cadillac had this issue before. It was called the main-bearing thump.

anyway to record the sound and let us hear it i never heard a lifter make a thud noise

The sound is from the passengers side top,it is real easy to hear with the oil cap off, and is more noticeable towards the front.

When 'sounding' on the drivers side, it is clear that the sound is from the other side, that is why I think it is not a 'center' line thing.

The 'thud' does sound like a bearing. I guess we will find out...

I am not real sure, but...

Anyway, I will follow up and thanks for the responses!

Onward and Downward!:exporange

lifter/rocker noise

I have purchased a parts truck, the motor runs quiet in that one. I took the heads off and removed the lifters and rockers/pushrods. I was think about repairing the lifter noise in my driver and was thinking about taking all the good rockers off the rockershafts and making 1 good set of rockers out of 2. are all the rockers the same?(exhaust/intake), that would be an easy fix compared to replacing the lifters. I am willing to sell some lifters if anybody needs some.

you dont want to use lifters and rods from a parts truck. you generally want to replace the lifters with new....

at $50.00 a lifter and $250.00 rocker arms and push rods, I think I will try used stuff.

im new,
did you put the eng. restore in a v6 92 exploder w/push rods to stop your lifter noise thanks,
Mike

Hi, welcome to the Forum! I have tried Engine Restore, but in this case it did not help. It is/was not lifter noise. For lifter noise I suggest a cleaning agent to quite lifter noise. Of course, the Engine Restore may help as well. Luck!

Back