i need a supercharging plan.. | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i need a supercharging plan..

alright guys, here is the deal, my local shop told me that i need a plan of action for my engine build (they are helping me for a grad challenge high school thing)...

soo the plan currently is... (2003 ford ranger 4.0 SOHC manual, with JBA shorty heads, K&N CAI, and straight pipe)

grab an engine stand of craigslist and a heater for the winter :(

scrap a old motor out of the junkyard, have one in mind.. 2003 4.0 SOHC with 83K miles....600$ good for that? im gonna try to shop around, but i really want to see the engine run before i buy it, i guess thats just me though AND WOULD A 4.0 explorer engine bolt right up??

Looking for the 300rwhp range

im gonna take it all apart, get someone to hone it, port the heads, get some lower compression pistons i think, around 9:1 i think? and throw in a different cam while im in there (NEED ADVICE ON WHICH ONE AND WHATS INVOLVED, i hear you have to modify some stuff if you go with option A, but can just swap option B in without anything)

internal wise, thats about all im gonna do, not sure if there should be more

sooo after that, gonna start putting it back together and snag a supercharger kit from rpcaster i think...and then snag the charger...(unless someone knows how to mount a better charger, i saw someone on RPS with a MP112)

was thinking about water/meth injecting that, but the local shop said that they could probably rig up an after cooler for it, so i was like, what the hell, that would be good!!...and im planning on putting the smaller/smallest pulley on it

i will be replacing the clutch to complement the power, but have seen people with the stock tranny with this kind of power....i have just been told not to drop the clutch and have the wheels lock up.

PLEASE GIVE ALL THE ADVICE POSSIBLE!! will be starting shopping for an engine tommorow hopefully

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I won't clutter this thread up anymore.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

can i put the water meth nozzle after the superchargeR? whats the difference going to be with having it after vs before? any benefits? i would rather have it after (I HTINK) cause it is cooling the already compressed air??

The only thing I can think of is the spray injecting evenly to all cylinders. I'm not sure how that'll happen after the charger?

i was planning it would be right under the outlet soo when the pressure got to 5psi (hobbs switch) there was already enough flowing air coming out of the charger to mix it throughout the manifold...now thats just a hope..? i dont really know if anyone knows the answer to that unless they have some sick technology that can see through the metal and see where the water meth goes?? or would there be a way to tell with some cylinders detonationing and some not? i have no idea....but i have heard that the w/m does work on the coating on the m112 rotors

I'm no expert in placing a meth nozzle but I've always seen this before the throttle body. I'm sure this is for a reason.

yaaa i dont really have any idea..im just fighting a bunch of opinions i guess?? not really sure...one of my friends runs it right before the TB and he isnt messing around with power...575 with the shot of nos i think....but robert ray on RPS said that he has his on the intake before the TB right now, and that doug from bama chips said to get it as close to the rotors as possible on the upper side...soo robert was gonna change that when he put his new heads on, some other peopel on RPS have told me that they have tried both (upper and lower) on their lightning and that it showed a lot better cooling effect on the lower...cause its like a chilling fog right before the cylinders instead of potentially warming up before it even hits the cylinders

not sure though..

mhmmm intruiging, do you know the process for stripped rotors? or flaking rotors and such? do you just get them re coated?

You got me on that one. From what I can tell, they have to be coated right, I'm guessing the right thickness of coating so the tolerances stay in spec so I wouldn't just send them to anyone. I'm not even sure what sort of coating is used on rotor blades?

IMG_2052.jpg

alright, soo apparently thats what they use for the fuel pressure gauge, but that is for sure not gonna thread into that hole, its too big..its like the same size thread as the rail part, nor is it going to thread onto that becaue they are both male threads...obviously...does anyone know the thread of the fuel rail nipple thing? its not 1/8 npt...i need to get the adapter to put the pressure gauge in...

Where is the fuel pressure sensor supposed to go, do the instructions say? How much was that, I had noticed that some are very expensive.

thats was 12 shipped from summit racing, but as you can see, its not gonna work..ron caster offered me 20 shipped for one that did work, and apparently i should of taken that one..

i did not get instructions, as i bought the gauges use with my m90 supercharger kit (that was used)...but i have the sender and such that is 1/8 NPT

Metric equivalent? How about a coupling?

It's probably better just to order from RP caster. He did a lot of research so others wouldn't have to go thru this sort of thing.

alright soo here she is...
IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

the hood is obviously not done...

but to the questions, soo we were trying to start this bad boy....(i let the fuel pressure build up for 20-30 seconds) and it cranked over ...cranked over...and then fired one cylinder maybe maybe two?...and then i let off the key i think....cause IT WAS LOUDDDDDD AS ****....soo apparently straight pipes are gonna be veryyyy loud...soo we gave up on that cause its 10 PM and the truck is in the neighborhood and right next to my neighbors house..gonna do some stuff in the morning..try to start it again and such...

i was alittle worried with the oil situation and priming it...i spun the oil pump before i put the supercharger on for 2-3 minutes....but i didnt turn the crank shaft while do that...but now that it has cranked over a few times...should everything all be oiled and such?
is this normal for a brand new engine like this? what should i be expecting..it has to flood with fuel before it can really fire right? any AND ALL insight is more than welcome

Yes, a new engine is very normal not to start right up. Just double check everything and take your time.

Okay, what tune are you running? Is everything in there, the big injectors and so on? If so and the stock tune, it probably won't start up. That throttle body looks way bigger than stock so you need some things changed there too. Custom tune all the way. Stock MAF? Gotta change that soon.

Very good work here! I know your excited to start it up but take your time. It's coming along nicely.

I like the hood! I see potential here.

ahaha the hood is MASSIVE...

but i have a "aggresive" tune from the local shop for when i had my m90 on there....for 200whp and 250wtq....AFR at about 12 under boost...and that was for stock 24lbs injectors.....yaa i have a mustang GT MAF that is sitting in my garage waiting to be mounted, but i have to come up with a mounting plate thing...

looking into a lightning MAF...or do you think the GT one is big enough? i think GT is 75-80mm? and lightning is 90mm..

that is the lightning twin blad 65mm TB....almost double the size of the stock one....

The Lightning MAF has a great reputation from tuners so I would so that if I had a choice. A 90mm MAF would be best if the GT is that much smaller.

The engine shouldn't need to be flooded, you don't want that. Try to avoid giving it gas until it starts, don't pump it like a carburetor. How big are the injectors, if they are 42's then that tune is going to almost double the fuel going in(42/24)?

yaa we were worried about that....i was running with that on the old engine for like about a week...sucked big time...

should i just take the truck to the tunner on tuesday with the trailer? or try to get it idling right then take it on the trailer...or get it running and then drive it there...

ya im gonna try to go after a 90mm MAF

Here's my meth/nozzle setup. I tried before the throttle body and it zilch to my air charge temp, this type of SC just packs to much heat.

Now im spraying after the rotors and intercooler brick, and the IAT's drop like the Grand Canyon!

DCFC0020.jpg

yaa my water meth injection under the charger is probably not gonna work...the thermostat is in the way,.or the plugs...unless there is nooo problem with doing a 90 degree right off of the nozzle..i dont see why there would be....instead of just having it go straight all the way...but thats capped right now, caus ei dont have that made yet

Back