Need Advice on Supercharging | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Advice on Supercharging

Anyone have any experience on supercharging the 5.0L? After all the intake and exhaust work I have done and and tuned by Henson Performance (Thanks
James) my little motor still strains to push 2 plus tons down the road. I guess I should clarify that once I'm up to speed it perfoms great. The engine is strong and the truck will go faster then I care to(again thanks to James at Henson Performance for removing the speed limiter). I'm just looking for more power off the line(Damn Civics) and supercharging seems to me to be the best option. I don't want to tear into the engine (thats for another day). So I thought I would ask you all about doing this. I have been researching and can pick up an Eaton M90(rebuilt) for a decent price but the question I have is since I have the internal EGR is this an option? I have seen the one (weiand?) on explorerexpress and it wont work with the internal EGR and there is no way I could afford the $3800.00 anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are myths, please forget that idiocy. There is absolutely no need for any back pressure, ever. All engines are tuned for the given parts, restrictive exhaust systems require less fuel, as less air can get pumped through it.

You can always make more power at any given rpm with less restriction. That applies to the intake manifold as well as the exhaust. It may take a better cam and tuning etc, but less restriction is always better.

There is such a thing as going overboard, so don't jump to extremes. A dual 3" exhaust is too much for a 3.0 liter NA engine, but not for a race engine like that. For the 302 a full dual 2.5" exhaust is not too much at all. For maximum power dual 3" wouldn't be excessive. Make the choices once, so if the cost is the same for the bigger pipes, go bigger. But expect to need more tuning. If I manage to build headers, my engine will run lean and need a lot more fuel(tuning).

Oh boy, now i'm even more confused.:rolleyes:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

No, it is very simple. Every time someone mentions an engine needing back pressure, that's crap. Those people talk about it like the engine can feel the exhaust or has any sense of what exhaust is on the vehicle. The O2 sensors measure oxygen only. Any back pressure or more of it causes less air to be able to come out of the engine. Less air requires less fuel, so if you want to suppress the potential size(usefulness) of an engine, restrict it. So yes, in that is the possibility of better fuel mileage in theory by a poor exhaust system. Meaning it's possible to gain power and make the fuel mileage drop some with a less restrictive exhaust. That is not usually reported as the result though.

The whole point is to get as much out as possible, and quiet the noise. There are devices which help exhaust flow, those are the merging points of collectors, and the intersections of "H" or "X" pipes. Those are designed to create a "pull" of one exhaust pulse upon the adjacent pipe.

That's why an "H" pipe is almost useless, the exhaust pulse created by the flow of air past one side does extremely little to pull exhaust from the other side.

Similarly an "X" pipe has greater potential for that, but the flow of one side across the "intersection" interferes with the flow from the other. Each flow is an obstacle for the other flow. The flow from each side past the opening of the other side does help the other side slightly more than obstacle of itself on the other side. Little has been done to measure any of that, and no one ever talks about it.

The bottom line is for performance if you really want to get the exhaust out, make it travel as efficiently as possible, and tune the engine to match it. The fuel needed changes as the exhaust restriction changes. So concentrate on the collector quality, and make the rest bigger. This was wordy for sure, but hopefully some people will comprehend it. Regards,

I,m not an expert by any means on superchargers. I cant even figure out how to make mine work. I think there are some posts about the Pro Chargers. I thought I remember that they rotate opposite of most centrifugal superchargers and so they mount facing backward. I think. That would create a whole different setup but if it ran off the accessory drive belt and not a seperate pulley(like the Powerdyne) that would be a big plus.

If you go the Powerdyne route then from reading this thread you are aware of the potential problems. At least the one's I've had.

But right now I am on vacation so no progress will be made for a week or so. I've actually gone backwards. Taking parts off that dont work.

How did you manage to fit dual 3" exhaust? I have a single 2.5" pipe and that is a tight fit. Plus I didnt want to loose backpressure. Without it you lose low end torque. A must to get these heavy beasts moving.

check out my signature it will show you the way i took my exhaust and for low end torque I got alot more than stock. And I can make cobras sound quit haha.

If I could fit 3" tailpipes in my truck I would. I'm expecting 2.5" pipes to be a good fit, we'll see.

So the spare tire has to go to fit dual exhaust.
I watched the shop installing my 2.5" tailpipe and it was tight. I have no lift so that may be a stumbling block.
Would single verses dual mufflers matter for performance?
I suppose the size of the muffler would matter, but if they were offset (due to space) would that be ok?
I want to keep this truck stock looking. A sleeper. I dont want dual tailpipes showing and I want it quite at idle.

If you are worried about track performance, install a set of dumps downstream of the rear 02 sensor bungs-

This is my plan for retaining a single exhaust tube. Find a 3" Mac tailpipe and you are set.

If you are worried about track performance, install a set of dumps downstream of the rear 02 sensor bungs-

This is my plan for retaining a single exhaust tube. Find a 3" Mac tailpipe and you are set.

Thought about that. But they are'nt cheap (at least the ones I've seen).
The MAC tailpipe sounds good. I guess I need to figure out what mufflers would fit, if I go dual, and what type.
I'll hit the search button and see what I can find.

I was thinking if I got rid of my secondary cats I could fit a muffler or two there. Currently running these.

Attachments

• Thunderbolt1.jpg
    Thunderbolt1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 339

Well,
My exhuast guy says--
tomorrow he is installing a welded in pipe with a screw on cap. Nothing complicated or expensive. 30.00 total.

All that will be needed is a leather glove to uncork em.

Well,
My exhuast guy says--
tomorrow he is installing a welded in pipe with a screw on cap. Nothing complicated or expensive. 30.00 total.

All that will be needed is a leather glove to uncork em.

I thought you were talking about something like this.

Attachments

• cutout_evolution.jpg
    cutout_evolution.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 344

Yeah, I would rather crawl under my truck too.
Though it would be nice to just flip a switch.:)
I wish I had your exhaust guy. I dont even know if mine would do something like your doing(not legal here) but it would be more then 30 bucks.

That cat is what I have to go into mine, hopefully they work well. You have tons of space under the truck to add two large mufflers if you'd like. They can go side by side, tilted a about a 45* angle, in the stock location. You can keep the spare and have twin pipes, but the obstacles on the left have to be moved some.

I just finished installing a procharger P1SC-2 on my Explorer.

I have an 80% complete powerdyne kit I will let go for $1800 shipped (actually a little less than I paid for it) if your interested. I will give whatever info is needed to clear up some of the headaches. The kit is missing the fan spacer and from what I was told just needs some machining work to get the pulley on the balancer. (kit comes with an uninstalled balancer that I started to work on but gave up).

P1020254.jpg

and a link to my little modifying page
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137258&page=14

-Rich

I just finished installing a procharger P1SC-2 on my Explorer.

I have an 80% complete powerdyne kit I will let go for $1800 shipped (actually a little less than I paid for it) if your interested. I will give whatever info is needed to clear up some of the headaches. The kit is missing the fan spacer and from what I was told just needs some machining work to get the pulley on the balancer. (kit comes with an uninstalled balancer that I started to work on but gave up).

I already have the complete powerdyne kit. Fan spacer, brackets, balancer, etc. Just having vibration issues with the powerdyne supplied balancer and fan spacer. Broke 2 waterpump shafts already so I removed the fan spacer and the supercharger drive pulley on the balancer. Havent removed the kit balancer yet. My puller requires removal of the radiator to fit. Havent gone there yet. I need to weigh the powerdyne pulley and see how close it is to the stock balancer.
The drive pulley does fit on the stock explorer balancer so I might look at that option.
Just looking at my options without having to dump to much more money into it.

I saw a Powedyne kit off an Explorer for $600 on Ebay a couple of weeks ago! That was tempting. It was not a BD11a though...I think it was a BD10. I am not too familiar with the Powerdyne units. I will wait to see how you like yours when you get it running next week first. :D

my procharger setup requires no additional pulley, runs off the stock balancer, no headaches :)

my procharger setup requires no additional pulley, runs off the stock balancer, no headaches :)

Sure, rub it in....:(
And its all smog legal in California?

nope. im not too worried about it, just have to remove it once every so often if i cant find someone to pass it. only takes like an hour tops.

Back