• Register Today It's free!

i need advise! im a newby

crrazer469

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 4x4 XLT
hi my name is chris im 15 years old and have just bought on my own a 93 4x4 xlt. i am very intrested in off roadind and i would like some advise from some explorer expirts on what i should modify first the cost of the modification and the specifics on the mod;ex:the hieght of a lift. also i have heard it is difficult and expensive to suspension lift a ford explorer for some reason. thanks for your help. is it more expensive to lift a explorer then say a cherokee and why?
what do u guys think about body lifts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off welcome to the site.. :thumbsup: You should do some searching before someone else tells ya too.. And if you really want someone to answer all those questions. Then were desinging your truck and your not.. See where im commin from.Edit: The first way i modded mine was a 2" lift, then went all out from their. If i could go back i wouldnt change all the phases my truck went threw cuz thats the only way i learned and know all the things i know is from dealing hands on with my truck... But start small and work your way up.. Unless you have alot of money then just pay someone.(but most of us like to do are own work).

Welcome man. Yes it is very expensive. Do your research and don't rush into things. I agree with splodo49. If you can do the work yourself, do it. It's a lot of fun to do it yourself. The first thing I did was buy a good set of deep sockets and an impact wrench. And a big ass case of liquid wrench. Remember the X is a glorified ranger, the suspention is bacicaly the same. Good luck with the mods.

First thing you should always do before moding a car is a compleat and comprehensive tune up. Make sure your car/truck/suv is running to its highest possible potential. Then mod.

Welcome to the site and as the other have already suggested you should become familiar with all the forums and how the site works before posting a question.. (the reason being is your question has most likely been asked and explained many times before). The search feature is fairly good and will help you find the info you're looking for..

There is nothing wrong with posting a question, but every day we get the same questions from new members (how do I lift my explorer, Whats the biggest tire that will fit) etc..

Anyway lifting a 1st gen explorer (91-94) can range from $200 to $2K+ depending on the type of lift and your intended use. You can lift the body, suspension, or both. Typical Body lifts raise the body 3" over the frame allowing you to run larger tires, but adds nothing to increase its off-road ability. A suspension lift on the other hand raises the suspension to utilize longer front/rear springs to fit larger tires and increase off-road ability. Various manufacturers make suspension kits which vary in components and quality/durability (SkyJacker & Superlift) would be the most common.

I don't see the point in getting a small lift and tires then wanting bigger later. It gets too expensive that way. I got a 4" and ran 33's then 35's on my first '92 and was very happy with it.

Figure out what size tires you want to run and go from there. Here is a "sticky" from the Tires and Wheels Forum. It gives you all the info you'll need to figure out what size lift you'll need for the size tire you decide on.

As mentioned above, now that you are one here, make sure to search for answers before just asking, or you'll get a bunch of "SEARCH" replies. Welcome to the site, and congrats on your Explorer purchase. :thumbsup:

Back