I need some help with the springs on my SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need some help with the springs on my SAS

Well I am doing a SAS with a waggy 44 and stock waggy leaf springs (the ones with 7 leafs in the pack). Basically what I did was make my front and rear hangers sit level with one another, then added a shackle and by all measurments I was to sit level. I finished tacking everything into place tonight, and proceded to let the truck down to see how it sat. When I did, the wheel base streched 2" longer, and the front springs sit at an angle... 3-4" lower in the front than they do in the rear. It is acting as if the spring isn't holding the load of the truck, therefore the spring is sitting like / that (just not as extreme). Do yall understand what I am saying, or am i just confusing the hell out of everyone?

Thanks for any help
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get defensive much?

I could argue that paragraph piece by piece, but it isn't worth it. Good look with your set up!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wasnt trying to argue with you, just stating that It wasnt as easy as 150 dollar coils. I wasnt knocking the set up either, to each his own...

Sheesh, whoda thought it would have been a touchy subject. Damn clashing fabricators :rolleyes:. On a more positive note, I only paid 20 bucks for my springs :cool: .

Chris

I still would not run leaf springs without a traction bar on the street unless they are really stiff. But it wouldn't take much for the steering to get squirly.

The amout of work seems to be pretty comprible on both setups. More a personal prefernce to what you want to run. Especially on a first gen that already had coils. A proper setup with either is going to perform nicely.

taxxman2k said:
A proper setup with either is going to perform nicely.

That is true.

I appreciate eveyones help, comments and opinions. I will get back to work on it sometime this week and will use more of my newly found knowledge.

Chris

I had a trac mount on mine and It ended up ripping the frame while I was flexing it hard off road... So I just took it off intending to fix it but it drove great without it,So I just left it off. The leaf springs are plenty enough to hold the axle from moving lateraly atleast on mine it was. Get some pics if you can of your progress once you get started on it again....

I posted afew updated pitcures in my swap thread. I would like some input on my ideas. The link is in the last reply.

Thanks
Chris

I tried running without a track bar on the road and the first bump I hit really test the strength of all my mounts;however, this could have been do to the bug springs not exactly the most stable way to mount a leaf spring.

bmotoX said:
I tried running without a track bar on the road and the first bump I hit really test the strength of all my mounts;however, this could have been do to the bug springs not exactly the most stable way to mount a leaf spring.

so what happened with the buggy spring setup??? Not to hijaak the thread, but I was planning a buggy spring set up on mine which is starting (the cutting at least) in the next week/week 1/2.

it worked. So far have had them drop about 3" that is only because the tire hit the wheel well I havent try them of road yet still whating on gears, triming and track but as far as I can tell there about the same as a revolver Post some pics kind of wondering how someone else would set them up.

bmotoX said:
it worked. So far have had them drop about 3" that is only because the tire hit the wheel well I havent try them of road yet still whating on gears, triming and track but as far as I can tell there about the same as a revolver Post some pics kind of wondering how someone else would set them up.

I'm buying rims and tires this week, which means if I get the 37x13x15 Boggers they'll be in next week (I hope).

I'm not going to comitt to cutting until I get the SOA done in the rear, so I have an idea what I'm shooting for in the front.

My only concern about the 37x 13s is how bad my turning radius is going to be, I live in the city and will be using this as a daily driver also. I want to be able to park it. :p That ought to be fun.

Chief, what's your turning radius like??? Are you hitting the springs or did you adjust the stops on the knuckles?

I put my springs directly under the frame So I should have enough room for the 36 13.5 TSL I'm going to run. What size leafs are you going to run to get the room for 37" tire I'm planing on either 6-8" rock ready leaf can not decide I want to keep it low by trimming but XJ springs are real soft and kind of woried that I would have to take the whole fernder off with the 6" but I don't want a 8" arch leaf either.

I'm going to be using the 5 Leaf, RE YJ - 4.5 Lift Springs with 2 added full size leafs.

They look pretty healthy and I'm figuring they'll do the job.

So you're going to move your leafs inboard on the axle enough to fit the tires?? I was planning on following the existing perches on top of the axle, but I'm thinking that may not work out.

Back