i want to put a few mods for now in to my explorer | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i want to put a few mods for now in to my explorer

Procharger installed, just need a tune and an intercooled setup to finish

Ill start off with saying that I have a 97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 with rear wheel drive.

And right now the main thing bugging me is the loss of power at 95mph (final shift point), and the 105 speed limiter.

I was wondering if a Shift Kit would fix this... And if not, what will?

I was also wondering which performance mods I should do, and in which order (for best money to power results)

My first thoughts were:
Shift Kit (if it will increase my top speed)
Ignition System (MSD or Nology, I dont know which is better)
Custom Pully
(Possibly NO2)
Stroker Kit

I'm new to fixing it up performance wise and am totally clueless, I have friends willing to help me on suggestions, but them having sports cars and me having an SUV are two different classes which have similarities to a point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

ok well then custom it will be... means no more sleep for me and time to go get it check out.

hmm i didnt seem to post the pictures of the goods

P1010344.jpg

P1010345.jpg

P1010346.jpg

P1010347.jpg

Nice!

ok imma need some help, looks like i cant really find anyone, the one shop i did find seemed a little ghetto.

so Spindle if you know anyone in the San Jose area that could make a custom mounting bracket for the charger let me know.

other than that, if anyone has a picture of a mounting bracket for a BD or XB for the 302 explorer can i see it and where it mounts (if its not to much trouble)

i know of a few people that could machine it out via a CAD program, i just need to supply either a drawing with sizes and what not, or a template

id rather be the jealous person right now... im scared. a few people told me 30# of boost is a lot and that i might blow my motor if i go that high. so i need to call the shop that did my motor and find out if it can handle the boost, if not, then the XB might have been the better choice... good thing is i could get my money back if i decide to sell it and i know someone that wants it.

Saleen_SR71 said:
ok imma need some help, looks like i cant really find anyone, the one shop i did find seemed a little ghetto.

so Spindle if you know anyone in the San Jose area that could make a custom mounting bracket for the charger let me know.

other than that, if anyone has a picture of a mounting bracket for a BD or XB for the 302 explorer can i see it and where it mounts (if its not to much trouble)

i know of a few people that could machine it out via a CAD program, i just need to supply either a drawing with sizes and what not, or a template
try powerdyne, ask if they will sell the bracket seperate. I know at one time they did this. Kinda $$$$ though.
They have a complete explorer kit

i was thinking about that, but then i may need to modify it for the other supercharger, but that might be my best bet... ill give it till next wednesday

Saleen_SR71 said:
id rather be the jealous person right now... im scared. a few people told me 30# of boost is a lot and that i might blow my motor if i go that high. so i need to call the shop that did my motor and find out if it can handle the boost, if not, then the XB might have been the better choice... good thing is i could get my money back if i decide to sell it and i know someone that wants it.

It sounds like you might be mistaken in how the superchargers are rated for boost. Just because they are "rated" at 20 or 30 or whatever psi of maxx boost does not mean you have to pulley them that high. You can run a larger supercharger pulley which will decrease boost to a normal amount. Yeah, running 30 psi boost on even a built 5.0 will send it sky high! Pulley it for 8-9 psi if running it on a stockish bottom end in good condition. Run it on about 15 psi for pump gas on a forged bottom end. Run it on 20 psi if you have a billet bottom end and running racegas.

No offense, but it seems like you don't know a lot about this stuff. If I were you I would not touch a single thing on my truck till I really did my research and knew what was up. If you kind of know a few things but don't know enough to really be confident in what your doing BAD things can and usually will result. If I were you I would delay the starting of you project for another 4-6 months and just hit the research hard to really get on the up and up on all the in's and out's of making power in general, making power for your 5.0, and understanding how your particular vehicle's systems work (IE fuel system, elec, engine, ignition so on.) My reccommendation is not meant as a flame by any means, just a reccomendation from someone who was once in your shoes years back.

If you ever need any assistance in any of this just let me know. Myself and some others on here know their stuff pretty well and will be able to answer any and all of your power & performance questions; and then some. ;)

I wish I still had pictures of my old XB-1A project pictures on the 2000 5.0 Explorer I used to have about 5 years back. If I somehow find them I will dig them up and post a few.

I know about the different boost with different pullys. i was just trying to see if i could get max output from the supercharger and a friend said that 30lbs is a lot and id blow my motor if i tried to do that.

I have a few friends running turbos (i know they are different, but also similar) on their cars doing 20lbs of boost on a small turbo (vj20) but upgrading the turbo to a T3 they run around 14-16lbs, and with a bigger turbo less boost.

so my assumption was that the XB is a bigger supercharger than the P1SC but the ouput is the same but just different boost levels because both have been rated at 1200cfm at max output.

but i will do more research, ill stick with the pully thats on it right now that is something like a 10lb+/-

ive done enough to learn to not take shortcuts, and to get something done right the first time. i spent to much money and time on doing something half-ass and having to go back and redoing it.

the bracket is the first thing on my to-do list because if i cant get the bracket done ill have to scrap the project and go with a charger made for the explorer already (which would be an XB)

p.s. if this came off as mean, it wasnt intended to be.

the power dyne mounting bracket for the BD-11 is 2 pieces?

well to order those 2 parts im looking at 252.50 which isnt bad...

looks like im back in business (when i buy it), just need to modify the mounting bracket for the supercharger. im going to wait a little bit on it for now to see if i could think of something

Ok I ordered the mounting brackets, im going to modify the one that supports the supercharger and have the brackets remachined so that I have an extra set or 2.

Soo
Are you saying I could maybe get one from you? Or you could have one made for me also?

What do you have planned for a drive pulley?

jtsmith said:
Soo
Are you saying I could maybe get one from you? Or you could have one made for me also?

What do you have planned for a drive pulley?

Well if everything goes as planned, you (and other members) will be able to get a kit from me. But Im not going to get hopes up just yet.

Supercharger or Crank (that what you were talking about)? Well I was going to keep it all the way it is till I see how everything goes.

You are surely going to have a dedicated supercharger belt, yes?
If so, you will need an additional crank pulley-fan spacer
The powerdyne bracket will locate the s/c forward of accesories, to line up , that creates the need for a fan spacer

It does line up, with the drive pulley

I am almost sure it uses a second belt, driven from a second crank pulley. You'd better call them.

you might be right, i wont know till i get to it, i wish companys would show actual product instead of a universal picture.

Back