i want to put a few mods for now in to my explorer | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i want to put a few mods for now in to my explorer

Procharger installed, just need a tune and an intercooled setup to finish

Ill start off with saying that I have a 97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 with rear wheel drive.

And right now the main thing bugging me is the loss of power at 95mph (final shift point), and the 105 speed limiter.

I was wondering if a Shift Kit would fix this... And if not, what will?

I was also wondering which performance mods I should do, and in which order (for best money to power results)

My first thoughts were:
Shift Kit (if it will increase my top speed)
Ignition System (MSD or Nology, I dont know which is better)
Custom Pully
(Possibly NO2)
Stroker Kit

I'm new to fixing it up performance wise and am totally clueless, I have friends willing to help me on suggestions, but them having sports cars and me having an SUV are two different classes which have similarities to a point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The POwerdyne kits do run a second pulley off the front of the crankshaft drive pulley. The pulley closer to the engine engages the normal front accessories. The pulley further away from the engine is meant for the supercharger itself. You could fab it up to have the rear belt engage all at once. No big deal except you would have to find a longer belt. It seems like your doing something somewhat custom with the install anyways so that might be a possibility.

I still didn't really get the idea if you were planning on getting a Powerdyne head unit for the mounting brackets or if you were somehow planning on mounting that other head unit from Procharger onto it? If your planning for the Procharger just be warned that they don't mount with the pulley side facing forward, they mount with the pulley facing towards rear. The Powerdyne kits have the head units mounted with the pulley facing front. If you do plan to do that I just thought I would bring that to your attention.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

still waiting for the bracket from Powerdyne. its been just about 3 weeks since i paid for it, i was expecting it in 5-10 business days from purchase. From now on im staying away from powerdyne. im upset due to the long wait and lack of having a product in stock.

Hey Rocket, remember how you said the SC was reverse rotation (which I was getting scared about because I saw it the same way)... Well I got really curious because if it is reverse rotation, id of possibly had to sell it because of fitment issues with the intake side of the SC. I remembered that the Impeller blades were straight and not curved so my hopes were up. So i spun it and to my luck it blows out air both ways

But to full proof my theory i need to find a way of getting it to spin fast enough in both directions to see which way puts out more air (but it may not matter).

Saleen_SR71 said:
still waiting for the bracket from Powerdyne. its been just about 3 weeks since i paid for it, i was expecting it in 5-10 business days from purchase. From now on im staying away from powerdyne. im upset due to the long wait and lack of having a product in stock.

Ill be in KC Monday for a follow up appt. Want me to go by there and ask whats up?

I will be driving right past them

Saleen_SR71 said:
Hey Rocket, remember how you said the SC was reverse rotation (which I was getting scared about because I saw it the same way)... Well I got really curious because if it is reverse rotation, id of possibly had to sell it because of fitment issues with the intake side of the SC. I remembered that the Impeller blades were straight and not curved so my hopes were up. So i spun it and to my luck it blows out air both ways

But to full proof my theory i need to find a way of getting it to spin fast enough in both directions to see which way puts out more air (but it may not matter).

All the Procharger centri's have straight vanes on their impellers to my knowledge. Most all other manufacturers use curved vanes on their impellers. The impeller still has to rotate in the way that the scroll (snail shell) is shaped. If it does not, then it will not build boost. All the 99-04 Mustang GT centri's are reverse rotation due to them being reverse mounted for space reasons. You will have to mount that charger with the pulley facing to the rear. The air gets sucked in the bigger center hole of the supercharger which is on the opposite face from the face with the pulley, hits the impeller and is shot out of the scroll on the top side of it and then enters the intake. Spinning the pulley the opposite way of which it is meant to go will just makes for an expensive paperweight on your engine. Unfortunately there is no way, short of buying a different impeller and scroll, that will allow you to mount it with the pulley facing forward. Good luck.

jtsmith said:
Ill be in KC Monday for a follow up appt. Want me to go by there and ask whats up?

I will be driving right past them

Ill call them on monday since its after business hours

hmm hopefully theres enough room in the bay to mount it that way, otherwise ill need to get a regular rotation one. Hopefully the guy i know still wants one...

*update* I just called and they are moving shop and the guy said that most likely it hasnt been shipped out yet. This sucks, looks like I ordered at a bad time.

Well I guess this gives me time to save up for the injectors and fuel pump... and a chip (Untuned).

I had an idea for my own made bracket, thinking i could go off the alternator bracket, but im not sure if it would be strong enough to support the power of the SC. If i do it this way id just have to extend 2 bolts and thats about it. If i had a real picture of the BD-11 Bracket i may have been done already

Nope, im really dissapionted with Powerdyne right now.

I was thinking of getting a forward rotation supercharger, and getting the bigger version.

I got the idea for a mount in my head, I ran it by someone and they said it would work (running it off the alternator mounting bracket) so I just need it fabed up... but I'm lacking a welder to make it myself, so im going to go to a place my friend works where they put rediculously big tubos in civics and see if they will help me out there.

should i get 83# injectors or should i go with 55# high impedance? price difference between the two isnt much

should i get 83# injectors or should i go with 55# high impedance? price difference between the two isnt much

Man those are huge injectors. I was told 60lb injectors are the max that a stock computer can support. 42lb injectors will make enough power to split the block.

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT 83's!!!!!!! :eek: Those flow fuel in the 1,000+hp territory. NO need for those in your X; let alone that thye are low impedance and would need the matching injector driver (aka standalone fuel system like F.A.S.T.) to even have them work correctly. I don't recall exactly how much power you plan to go with but you will most likely not need those 55's either. Those 55's will support 600rwhp in a blown application and a decent amount more in an N/A application.

Unless you went with the Powerdyne XB-1A supercharger head unit then you will not even be in the same territory to be needing anything in the range of 55lb + injectors while using that BD-11 head unit. Stick with some used 39's from an 03/04 Cobra (cheap good quality OEM injectors if you have the EV6 injector harness plugs) or maybe go with a set of 42's at the largest if you plan to run a shot of dry nitrous on top of the charger, but nothing more than that.

Well any supercharger I want to go with will be Illegal. But im guessing if I could manage to get it to pass smog ill be in the clear. Ill just talk to my school Referee about it today and see what the guy has to say.

P.S. No progress as of the last posting, I'm sorta just gathering parts and looking for a regular rotation supercharger.

any one know a good shift kit for the 4r70w tranny? links would be apreciated

any one know a good shift kit for the 4r70w tranny? links would be apreciated

Come on Saleen, you have been on this board long enough to know to use the search function. We have talked about shift kits for the AOD-E/4R70W in no less than probably 30 threads in here.

Well heres an update, Powerdyne seems to be lagging really bad on the bracket. I've been calling a few days a week and leaving messages and even sent an email to them but havent gotten a response. I think they may be relocating again because last I heard they were located in Nevada, now the site says Los Angeles CA.

I want to take the Explorer to the custom place, but I dont have a quote on how much it would cost, which I will try to get today (guy said it would be quite a bit possibly over $1k) and I could order the Powerdyne/Ford Racing kit for a little over $2000.

I noticed im getting stiffed by the companys I attempted to order important parts from... first A.R.T., now Powerdyne.

I got everything I need to go with the supercharger now but no bracket! I purchased a regular rotation supercharger, got the 38# cobra injectors, got a BA2800 MAF, Typhoon manifold, and I have a 255lph fuel pump.

Anyone find any pictures of a powerdyne/ford racing supercharger bracket both installed an not installed? i found a picture of the kit online, but im not sure if its a real picture of the kit.

I got everything I need to go with the supercharger now but no bracket! I purchased a regular rotation supercharger, got the 38# cobra injectors, got a BA2800 MAF, Typhoon manifold, and I have a 255lph fuel pump.

Anyone find any pictures of a powerdyne/ford racing supercharger bracket both installed an not installed? i found a picture of the kit online, but im not sure if its a real picture of the kit.

That BA2800 MAF is a very big MAF for your combo man. I don't mean big as in size. I mean big as in that meter is meant to support 800+rwhp. By using such a big MAF on your project you will lose allot of resolution down low. The BA2800 MAF is a good MAF, but it is better suited for a vehicle needing its range. Its all up to you though.

The 42 lb/hr injectors will fit but you will have to get the injector harness adapters. If I were you I would go with a set of used 03/04 Cobra injectors as they are a dime a dozen and still are 39 lb/hr. They also have the EV6 connector which is what your trucks stock wiring harness has too so you would save money both ways.

Well I just found out a few days ago that my Explorer has an EV1 connector not an EV6...

Back