i want to put a few mods for now in to my explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i want to put a few mods for now in to my explorer

Procharger installed, just need a tune and an intercooled setup to finish

Ill start off with saying that I have a 97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 with rear wheel drive.

And right now the main thing bugging me is the loss of power at 95mph (final shift point), and the 105 speed limiter.

I was wondering if a Shift Kit would fix this... And if not, what will?

I was also wondering which performance mods I should do, and in which order (for best money to power results)

My first thoughts were:
Shift Kit (if it will increase my top speed)
Ignition System (MSD or Nology, I dont know which is better)
Custom Pully
(Possibly NO2)
Stroker Kit

I'm new to fixing it up performance wise and am totally clueless, I have friends willing to help me on suggestions, but them having sports cars and me having an SUV are two different classes which have similarities to a point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shift kit won't increase you speed, you'll need a chip to remove the limiter.

Pullies won't work with you explorer either. The ignition is good up to about 10 PSI with a supercharger, so an upgrade won't do much. The nitrous will help, but I'd do the basics first: Intake, exhaust, headers and a chip before I add it. With these mods and a 100 shot of nitrous, you can get into the 14s in the 1/4 mile. As for the stroker, it's a big mod and look to speed about 1500-2000. Then you'll need a custom set of headers and a nice set of heads to really make the power come out and that's another 2500. So it all adds up quick.

Let it Breath...

The reason you're not getting any power in the upper RPM range and/or at speed is the stock manifolds. '96-'97 are nitorious for chocking the 5.0 V8, hence loss of horsepower, and the manifolds are very prone to cracking.

To unleash about 20-25 HP and 20-35 lbs. TQ, you will need a good set of Headers. All the new Intakes and Cat Back exhaust systems in the world will not work to their potential until you allow the engine to breath.

Torque Monster Headers is legal in all 50 states and will deliver the extra power potential without any other mods. However, if you continue to make changes, the headers will enhance those changes very well!

You can visit us at: http://www.torquemonsterheaders.com

And, we have a Group Buy available to all Explorer Forum Members at: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118942&page=3

If you're on a budget, and you want to maximize your gains, this is our suggested course to take:

- Install Torque Monster Headers
- Drop in K&N filter element into stock intake
- Install Tornado, worth 1-2 hp on the 5.0 V8, helps gas mileage...
- JBA Spark Plug (Ignition) Wires or your preferred brand.
- Fresh set of your preferred brand of spark plugs.
- MSD, Ford Coil Packs or preferred brand.
- Install Cat Back exhaust. However, make sure to install a system with flow through resignator that will have some backpressure. The stock computer settings (o2 sensors) work better with a little backpressure.

These changes should net you about 30-35 HP and about the same in TQ and should not require a chip change, yet. However, if you install a super flowing Cat Back Exhaust System with a Muffler that is extremely free flowing at this point, you will need to chip the vehicle.

If you have a larger budget, but do not want to go into the internals if the engine, these are the list of add-ons after installing your headers:

* 8 - Bosch Spark plugs, Platinum +4, PN 4458
Ford Motorcraft plugs work very well, less expensive.
* 8 - JBA Spark Plug (Ignition) Wires, PN 06239, less expensive.
Nology Spark Plug (Ignition) Wires, PN 014208001

* 2 - MSD, Ford Coil Pack, 4-Tower, PN 8241
* 1 - MSD Digital Dis-4 Plus, PN 62152

* K&N Air Filter replacement in stock system.
K&N Air Filter cone element to replace stock air box.
* MAC Air Intake, complete replacement for stock Intake unit.

* 16 - Ford Racing, Roller Rocker Arms, PN M-6564-B351
* 1 - Ford Racing, EFI Heat Spacer, 1" thick, Fits between upper and lower manifolds to help dissipate heat and significantly increase performance. Gives your vehicle a little extra Ram Induction! PN M-9486-A53

* 1- Reprogram your computer/engine management system. Contact "bamachips.com" or your favorite retailer for your needs.

* Cat Back Exhaust System. Your choice, many ways to do it. If you have more than 100,000 miles on the vehicle, replace the catalytic converters. Order from Ford.

All the items listed, along with Torque Monster Headers, should give you about 50-60 hp over stock without going into the internals of the motor.

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers
:burnout:

Attachments

• DSC00405.JPG
    DSC00405.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,529
  • DSC00404.JPG
    DSC00404.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,548

well the mods i have thus far are free flow 2.5" precat back exhaust (removed the primary cats)

MAC intake

i wanted to get a bama chip, but someone from Bama (doug) told me to get the programer (which was supposed to remove the limit but didnt), he responded that it was something else stopping my truck from exceeding the limit.

i was thinking of doing the torque monster headers, but i remember reading they have HP limits at which reslults are unknown if exceeded.

forgot to mention that i was considering a cam

and im debating on supercharger or turbo, i found a possible turbo kit, thing is i dont know if it the turbo would be CARB legal, but then again i would make it bolt up so i wouldnt have to worry when smog comes around.

i think ill contact doug again to see if i could get the chip, i really need to rid of the limit, its upsetting me

i also heard that nology has false power claims (i read it on this forum)

Saleen_SR71 said:
i also heard that nology has false power claims (i read it on this forum)

Nology has some high quality wires, but are very expensive and don't expect a seat of the pants gain. The numbers they advertise are usually to a highly modded engine. Don't get me wrong, they are good and would help, but you'd get the same out of a set of Jacob, MSD or Taylor wires.

Yo homie
You got the big two(intake, exhaust), get a chip or flasher to negate the rev limiter and speed limiter and your good to go without dumping 4-6 grand into a built engine.
Yea the top speed limiter is a ***** in our town.
Last Friday night I blew by you at Tully on monteray Hwy, you were ambling along at 95 (your max) you were just a flash in my rearview, right on Alma, left on 7th, 280 home in ten:)

BeauJ said:
Jacob, MSD or Taylor wires.

Beau, where can you find these wires?

i can't seem to find them anywhere for my x, and i would like a set to put on with the new plugs...

spindlecone said:
Last Friday night I blew by you at Tully on monteray Hwy, you were ambling along at 95 (your max) you were just a flash in my rearview, right on Alma, left on 7th, 280 home in ten:)

i dont think it was me, i wasnt on monterey around the tully area last week.

i think ill get the chip and some headers for now (ill wait to find out what rcpasq says about the headers remark i said, if he posts again)

the turbo is still an option for me, STS makes a universal kit which i might get depending on its smogability, its possible for it to pass the smog test, but as for the visual i dont know. ill contact them again tomorrow.

96Saleen said:
Beau, where can you find these wires?

i can't seem to find them anywhere for my x, and i would like a set to put on with the new plugs...

Call Summit Racing or Jegs. Their catalogs don't have them listed and neither do their online catalogs. Give them a call and get some prices.

well i emailed BAMA and the person that responded said that the X-calibrator (which is what i have) should of removed the limiter unless i stated for it to stay in which i didnt. maybe i was sent the wrong one because i also asked for a 91 octane programing and was issued a 93 octane. well ill figure it out.
they are trying to push me away from the chip once again...
im staying under the assumption i was sent the wrong programer
ill call them if i have to. and with tomorrow being monday and me not having to work that night, im hoping i get a lot done

ill probably be getting the torque monster headers, i think im due for new spark plugs and wires

BeauJ said:
Call Summit Racing or Jegs. Their catalogs don't have them listed and neither do their online catalogs. Give them a call and get some prices.

then post the pricing and part number ;)

ok i ordered the torquemonsters and sent the chip to Doug to get reprogramed.

monday i should get the headers, and maybe wednesday i should get the reprogramer back.

Robert mentioned i should get some spark plug wire socks/sleeves... anyone know where to get those?

speed merchant over on Lincoln

my dyno run!

263326_145_full.jpg

spindle they remember you at the shop, im guessing you were the only other person that did a run in an explorer.

ill check speed merchant soon.

funny, i heard some knocking during the second run (recorded it too)

so looks like i might need better grade of gas, or the right setting on my cars computer (X-Calibrator should be back next week some time)

Saleen_SR71 said:
my dyno run!

263326_145_full.jpg

spindle they remember you at the shop, im guessing you were the only other person that did a run in an explorer. ill check them out soon.

funny, i heard some knocking during the second run (recorded it too)

so looks like i might need better grade of gas, or the right setting on my cars computer (X-Calibrator should be back next week some time)
Good Job, they should remember me, been there like 5 times.
Being a ricer shop they do not see many Exs, great bunch of guys tho.
Get all your mods done and go back for another run
Might pop the extra bucks to find out the a/F ratio next time, will be helpfull in setting up a tune

yeah next time i go back hopefully ill have my tuner and headers installed and get it tested with stock tunning and all mods (1 pull), then Dougs tunnings to show his skills.

i told the guy 5K was redline (it is right?), i kinda noticed that too, maybe he heard knocking and backed off

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

*oh wait.... my 4th gear shifts at 4500 rpm no matter what (thats why i sent the chip back to doug, limiter wasnt removed)

Back