If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it? | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it?

$8k for the engine, then you need a transmission adapter. By the time you get everything you need to put it in a vehicle, you are around $11k for a motor that puts out 160 hp and 295 twist. Great for a subcompact car.
Yeah to much for my wallet 😂

Cat rates the c4.4 at 411ft-lbs is there a different version that puts out more? Still impressive regardless. Cat makes good engines. Also how much do those cost?

Yeah to much for my wallet 😂

Cat rates the c4.4 at 411ft-lbs is there a different version that puts out more? Still impressive regardless. Cat makes good engines. Also how much do those cost?
Tier 3 is rated at 143 hp and 411 lb/ft. Tier 4 engines are rated at 200 hp and 610 lb/ft. If you find a used genset the prices range from $2k to $6k. Some units I've seen have only a few hours run time. The motor is less than 25 inches long with a similar weight as a 4BT.

Tier 3 is rated at 143 hp and 411 lb/ft. Tier 4 engines are rated at 200 hp and 610 lb/ft. If you find a used genset the prices range from $2k to $6k. Some units I've seen have only a few hours run time. The motor is less than 25 inches long with a similar weight as a 4BT.
Sounds like an awesome swap option. How is the aftermarket support for it? Also, is there available trans adapters etc, or would they need to be built? Adapters are hard to build, but having available aftermarket support is really nice. That sounds like a very viable option. I'd definitely consider that.

Sounds like an awesome swap option. How is the aftermarket support for it? Also, is there available trans adapters etc, or would they need to be built? Adapters are hard to build, but having available aftermarket support is really nice. That sounds like a very viable option. I'd definitely consider that.
Trans adapters are available, it has an SAE #3 housing attached. Aftermarket bellhousings are available as well as some factory transmissions since the duramax 6.6 and ISB 170 have an SAE #3 housing. The duramax, the #3 housing is found on the bigger trucks like the topkick. If I had a 2nd gen explorer, it would be the engine I'd swap in.

Back