If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it? | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

302 out of Vicki's do to and bolt right up to the aod If I remember correctly.
150 hp of neck snapping performance. The AOD was behind the 302, much better transmission options these days

I'd like a bit more speed/power on the highway! Still some investigating to do on my SOHC V6 to see why not. Going to manual trans not for me, and I'm not going to try to swap engine or trans. Would have to get something already built. One with the 55 trans automatic and a V8. Pretty rare and pricey? Seems so. Using the whole speedometer? Not much chance for me or around here. Rather get a little MPG, LOL

The V6 transmissions are smaller outside and inside, all are a little weaker than the mid sized AOD's and 4R70W's, behind V8's. The V8 trans is capable of most needs, even plowing etc.

The real AWD in the few Fords that had it in mid 90's to about 2010 were made to try hold the same speed front to rear, not locking but resisting speed differentials. On slick ice usually one tire spins on front, and rear, unless the differentials have some kind of locking device. The OEM traction lock is fairly weak, when new or rebuilt they can resist up to about 75lbft of torque before they allow slipping of the low traction tire. The fronts were all open, so it is rare to ever hear of one with a locking front.

I got up and down a fairly steep hill covered in snow about 15 years ago in my Mountaineer. I had real snow tires and it did spin one front tire up near the top where it was the most steep. I have a Torsen in the rear of that one, it's a very good street diff. The tires did the most work, coming down was possible only from the tire traction(Blizzak 245/70/16's).

150 hp of neck snapping performance. The AOD was behind the 302, much better transmission options these days
Hey I was just saying

The V6 transmissions are smaller outside and inside, all are a little weaker than the mid sized AOD's and 4R70W's, behind V8's. The V8 trans is capable of most needs, even plowing etc.

The real AWD in the few Fords that had it in mid 90's to about 2010 were made to try hold the same speed front to rear, not locking but resisting speed differentials. On slick ice usually one tire spins on front, and rear, unless the differentials have some kind of locking device. The OEM traction lock is fairly weak, when new or rebuilt they can resist up to about 75lbft of torque before they allow slipping of the low traction tire. The fronts were all open, so it is rare to ever hear of one with a locking front.

I got up and down a fairly steep hill covered in snow about 15 years ago in my Mountaineer. I had real snow tires and it did spin one front tire up near the top where it was the most steep. I have a Torsen in the rear of that one, it's a very good street diff. The tires did the most work, coming down was possible only from the tire traction(Blizzak 245/70/16's).
The awd aren't terribly I think they went that way after the auto 4wd did so well in 95 96 I've honestly had no problems with snow it's awd heck even fwd sooo

I've driven my 99 A4WD SOHC Explorer for about five years straight delivering mail. It did as well in the snow as my AWD 302's do, but it also spun the right rear tire most of the time leaving each mailbox.

The A4WD means it's 2WD all of the time except when the system senses tire spin(a difference in speed of the front versus rear). That means the easiest tire to spin, will briefly, before the TC engages the other drive shaft. To stop along the edge of the road hundreds of times a day, where it's usually dirt or grass or a little gravel, or a mixture, it's easy to spin the right rear tire if you hit the gas hard. My AWD's will spin just a hair if you mash it to the floor, and both right tires are off the pavement. I've had it do that this past week with the light snow on the roads and ground. AWD spins less because it's always splitting the power front to back. I can drive into people's yards carefully and never hurt the grass. The V6 A4WD will easily spin the back tires on grass for a moment.

I'll stick with the AWD, and add a six speed in front of it next year, which has a 4.17:1 first gear ratio.

I've driven my 99 A4WD SOHC Explorer for about five years straight delivering mail. It did as well in the snow as my AWD 302's do, but it also spun the right rear tire most of the time leaving each mailbox.

The A4WD means it's 2WD all of the time except when the system senses tire spin(a difference in speed of the front versus rear). That means the easiest tire to spin, will briefly, before the TC engages the other drive shaft. To stop along the edge of the road hundreds of times a day, where it's usually dirt or grass or a little gravel, or a mixture, it's easy to spin the right rear tire if you hit the gas hard. My AWD's will spin just a hair if you mash it to the floor, and both right tires are off the pavement. I've had it do that this past week with the light snow on the roads and ground. AWD spins less because it's always splitting the power front to back. I can drive into people's yards carefully and never hurt the grass. The V6 A4WD will easily spin the back tires on grass for a moment.

I'll stick with the AWD, and add a six speed in front of it next year, which has a 4.17:1 first gear ratio.
Never actually drove a one of fords rwd base awd systems just there fwd based awd systems. I've experience gms awd rwd based systems. So I really can't say anything lol.

So I'm a huge diesel lover, and although I've always been a Ford man I also love Cummins. I have always wanted to 4bt swap a small off road rig. So if my 5.0 ever goes out then the 4bt is going in with some pretty rowdy aftermarket work.

So I'm a huge diesel lover, and although I've always been a Ford man I also love Cummins. I have always wanted to 4bt swap a small off road rig. So if my 5.0 ever goes out then the 4bt is going in with some pretty rowdy aftermarket work.
i heard someone fit a 6bt before ;) though i recall it being alot of work

i heard someone fit a 6bt before ;) though i recall it being alot of work
I love the 6bt as well, and it would be an absolute monster it's just to heavy for off road in such a small rig. It would make an awesome street sleeper, but the front end of that explorer would just sink off road lol and the spring rate required to hold that big engine would be obsurd 😂

I used to have an 08 grand Cherokee CDI with a Mercedes 642 engine (3.0 V6 turbo diesel) and I LOVED it. I miss it everyday of my life. R.I.P.

I love the 6bt as well, and it would be an absolute monster it's just to heavy for off road in such a small rig. It would make an awesome street sleeper, but the front end of that explorer would just sink off road lol and the spring rate required to hold that big engine would be obsurd 😂

I used to have an 08 grand Cherokee CDI with a Mercedes 642 engine (3.0 V6 turbo diesel) and I LOVED it. I miss it everyday of my life. R.I.P.
not wrong! what about that new cummins that a like a 2.4 thats suppose to be a swap built one? havent looked into it

I have a Liberty that had the 2.8. I bought it used and it ran 155 miles then the timing belt let go. That motor was pulled and went to the recycling yard where it belongs. I got my eye on a genset with a cat engine to swap in.

not wrong! what about that new cummins that a like a 2.4 thats suppose to be a swap built one? havent looked into it
I looked into those a few years back. They look awesome because they can have an a/c compressor mounted with no extra work required. That being said if memory serves they are like $5k-$6k or something like that. To much for my frugal self lol I'll grab a 4bt for $600 dump $1k into it to make it a monster and be happy. These are pipe dreams though lol

I have a Liberty that had the 2.8. I bought it used and it ran 155 miles then the timing belt let go. That motor was pulled and went to the recycling yard where it belongs. I got my eye on a genset with a cat engine to swap in.
I gotta say those little VM motori diesel were impressive, but they were very fragile, and who tf puts a timing BELT on a diesel. What a strange design choice haha. That grand Cherokee I had used the same engine that the Mercedes sprinter vans used. It's was like 400ft-lbs in that little rig. Mine had a kleeman tuner, an intake runner motor delete and egr block plate mod. Putting out about 500ft-lbs. AWD with a 2 speed transfer case. God I miss that Jeep 😭

I looked into those a few years back. They look awesome because they can have an a/c compressor mounted with no extra work required. That being said if memory serves they are like $5k-$6k or something like that. To much for my frugal self lol I'll grab a 4bt for $600 dump $1k into it to make it a monster and be happy. These are pipe dreams though lol

I gotta say those little VM motori diesel were impressive, but they were very fragile, and who tf puts a timing BELT on a diesel. What a strange design choice haha. That grand Cherokee I had used the same engine that the Mercedes sprinter vans used. It's was like 400ft-lbs in that little rig. Mine had a kleeman tuner, an intake runner motor delete and egr block plate mod. Putting out about 500ft-lbs. AWD with a 2 speed transfer case. God I miss that Jeep 😭
The cat C4.4 I'm looking at to repower the jeep puts out 610 lb/ft at 1400 rpm. Either an allison or a T56 with a 242 amg transfer case for awd fun

checked it was a 2.8 mb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked into those a few years back. They look awesome because they can have an a/c compressor mounted with no extra work required. That being said if memory serves they are like $5k-$6k or something like that.
$8k for the engine, then you need a transmission adapter. By the time you get everything you need to put it in a vehicle, you are around $11k for a motor that puts out 160 hp and 295 twist. Great for a subcompact car.

Back