If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it? | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it?

Hoping to get my AC fixed or replaced. July is a beast here. As for engines, I'd like the 5.0 with its stronger trans. But that would be for a future vehicle, if I find it. Mine's good except for the AC.
Both of mine are good, not having ac still sucks but can be made doable. Not necessarily happily, but it can be livable lol
The 5.0 would be nice for for simplicity...but if you're going to swap anyway...why not go crazy? Throw a 350/351/383, not crazy bigger but a lot more power! Just the way I am, go big or go home, like if I have to replace the suspension, may as well go with a lift or heavy duty parts. But as said, a 5.0 could still be nice, just cant hardly see myself downgrading again, running a 5.7 350 now already pushing more power and a lot more room for more power, for example eventually me boring it into a 383. Dont follow in my footsteps kids, do what's financially right, dont be crazy/stupid like me lol
If ya nabbed another X with the 5.0, would ya be planning to make it 4wd though?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both of mine are good, not having ac still sucks but can be made doable. Not necessarily happily, but it can be livable lol
The 5.0 would be nice for for simplicity...but if you're going to swap anyway...why not go crazy? Throw a 350/351/383, not crazy bigger but a lot more power! Just the way I am, go big or go home, like if I have to replace the suspension, may as well go with a lift or heavy duty parts. But as said, a 5.0 could still be nice, just cant hardly see myself downgrading again, running a 5.7 350 now already pushing more power and a lot more room for more power, for example eventually me boring it into a 383. Dont follow in my footsteps kids, do what's financially right, dont be crazy/stupid like me lol
If ya nabbed another X with the 5.0, would ya be planning to make it 4wd though?
Oh, they're usually AWD with the 5.0? I'd want the 4wd myself, AWD doesn't cut it here. Although I'll stay home if everything else is sliding around, to avoid those! If I wanted a 383, I'd have to find an old Mopar, but I liked the 318 just fine. (But the 400 I had in a couple of them really did haul - but got 10 mpg.) Speed cost money, how fast you want to go?

-Throwing down the gauntlet here, eh? Some of us are noobs, LOL Challenge accepted, though!
Not being able to afford it, or having the skills or confidence to tackle it is one thing, just accepting defeat is another.

Only 2wd/AWD with the V8. The AWD is excellent in the snow, arguable a lot better than the automatic 4wd. I plowed for years with the AWD, and preferred it to the full size Chevy truck the shop had for plowing.

Oh, they're usually AWD with the 5.0? I'd want the 4wd myself, AWD doesn't cut it here. Although I'll stay home if everything else is sliding around, to avoid those! If I wanted a 383, I'd have to find an old Mopar, but I liked the 318 just fine. (But the 400 I had in a couple of them really did haul - but got 10 mpg.) Speed cost money, how fast you want to go?
Yeah, Brooks already covered it, but yeah the 5.0 was only rwd/awd and, thats why I was curious if you'd do the 4406 swap and all from awd to make it manual 4wd, but also a true 2wd when not in use.
I paid for the whole speedometer, I'm going to use, the whole speedometer! Though, it only goes go 100mph and I have hit that I think, I cant tell since it's about 13mph off: reads 100mph when I'm only at about 87mph lol

Not being able to afford it, or having the skills or confidence to tackle it is one thing, just accepting defeat is another.
Yep, me precisely, dont know enough about the a/c components, already know they tend to be a bear to mess with, so I just dont tend to prioritize it. Plus I have to be able to afford that mess lol

This applies to many things in life, including marriage.

This applies to many things in life, including marriage.
Especially these days regarding marriage. I don't envy all you younger people at all in trying to find a good person to marry. Social media and dating apps have made too many people batshite crazy, overestimate their value as a mate, women to treat marriage as a retirement plan through divorce and/or people to think that marriage is something they can justify getting out of for just a fart going sideways. Then men have to consider the ****e hammering they take in most divorce outcomes and I don't think I would have much incentive to get married these days.

Yeah, I fit both the 1st 2 categories - but where there's a will there's a way. It's about 4th on the list of things to tackle, as only July is super hot/humid here. On your AWD comment, no idea where you're at, snow plowing with AWD! Some AWD systems won't overcome having one wheel in the air (from what I've read) or a spinning wheel. Some will. Don't know which is offered with the Explorer 5.0 I've noticed neighbors with AWD having a hard time getting through the 5" plus snow around here, yesterday there was 14" on the ground. Town is rather casual about plowing here, LOL. I leave mine on auto 4wd if the snow/ice is patchy, switch it to 4high if it's solid or lots of snow, haven't gotten stuck so far.

Yeah, I fit both the 1st 2 categories - but where there's a will I want to be in it.
I fixed that for you. Experience is something you generally gain, just after you need it and once I've experienced some repairs I'd rather pay someone who does a good job to do it instead of me. Like wheel bearings, and wheel seals on a 20k axle, I still have nightmares about the grease and oil mess.

Yeah, Brooks already covered it, but yeah the 5.0 was only rwd/awd and, thats why I was curious if you'd do the 4406 swap and all from awd to make it manual 4wd, but also a true 2wd when not in use.
I paid for the whole speedometer, I'm going to use, the whole speedometer! Though, it only goes go 100mph and I have hit that I think, I cant tell since it's about 13mph off: reads 100mph when I'm only at about 87mph lol

Yep, me precisely, dont know enough about the a/c components, already know they tend to be a bear to mess with, so I just dont tend to prioritize it. Plus I have to be able to afford that mess lol
I'd like a bit more speed/power on the highway! Still some investigating to do on my SOHC V6 to see why not. Going to manual trans not for me, and I'm not going to try to swap engine or trans. Would have to get something already built. One with the 55 trans automatic and a V8. Pretty rare and pricey? Seems so. Using the whole speedometer? Not much chance for me or around here. Rather get a little MPG, LOL

I fixed that for you. Experience is something you generally gain, just after you need it and once I've experienced some repairs I'd rather pay someone who does a good job to do it instead of me. Like wheel bearings, and wheel seals on a 20k axle, I still have nightmares about the grease and oil mess.
Amen to that! Anything requiring brute force and a BFH I'll leave to the shop pros. U joints and press fits, etc. Plus the fun of dealing with rusted components/fasteners that need a torch to get out

I'd like a bit more speed/power on the highway! Still some investigating to do on my SOHC V6 to see why not. Going to manual trans not for me, and I'm not going to try to swap engine or trans. Would have to get something already built. One with the 55 trans automatic and a V8. Pretty rare and pricey? Seems so. Using the whole speedometer? Not much chance for me or around here. Rather get a little MPG, LOL
Theres a few things that can be done, like a better filter setup, headers, or crazy stuff like a supercharger lol
That's fair, easier to stay where ya at then and keep the mpg! These werent exactly known for great mpg lol

Honestly that's why I'm thinking manual but then again pricey and hard to find. Same with v8 never see them for sale. It sucks.

Honestly that's why I'm thinking manual but then again pricey and hard to find. Same with v8 never see them for sale. It sucks.
Definitely hard to find, annoying in that respect. Also why I'd love to swap something bigger than a 5.0 in if I were to, could just nab a junk f150 or silverado for a 5.7l 350 or 5.8l 351 and make that work. More power and a bit easier to find, at least where I'm at

Yeah, I fit both the 1st 2 categories - but where there's a will there's a way. It's about 4th on the list of things to tackle, as only July is super hot/humid here. On your AWD comment, no idea where you're at, snow plowing with AWD! Some AWD systems won't overcome having one wheel in the air (from what I've read) or a spinning wheel. Some will. Don't know which is offered with the Explorer 5.0 I've noticed neighbors with AWD having a hard time getting through the 5" plus snow around here, yesterday there was 14" on the ground. Town is rather casual about plowing here, LOL. I leave mine on auto 4wd if the snow/ice is patchy, switch it to 4high if it's solid or lots of snow, haven't gotten stuck so far.
I was plowing in Erie PA where it wasn’t unheard of to get 200 inches of snow in a season. If a 4wd Explorer can do it in Auto, or High, a V8 Explorer will do it as well.

Definitely hard to find, annoying in that respect. Also why I'd love to swap something bigger than a 5.0 in if I were to, could just nab a junk f150 or silverado for a 5.7l 350 or 5.8l 351 and make that work. More power and a bit easier to find, at least where I'm at
Honestly I see more(sticking) modular motors or 4.6s here than anything it kinda stinks I don't mind them we've just had bad luck with them. I've thought about doing a v6 out of an f150 but have turned it away. I honestly don't know what I do once this thing kicks the bucket. I've heard first gens at are even easier to swap a v8 into

I think the easiest swap would be a 96-2001 v8 since they were a factory option.

Have to agree, probably easiest to V8 the second gen due to being a factory option unlike the first. Not sure if theres really much of a difference in space for one either, nothing to really write home about at least.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back