I'm ashamed to even admit this.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm ashamed to even admit this....

Last night, I decided to do a little wheeling with some friends. It had been raining for two days, so it was the prime time to go. I was in my Explorer and the other vehicle was a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee, driven by my friend John. To make it even worse, the Jeep is stock and AWD.

All was fun to start with. We ran through a couple mud holes and made a mess. He stuck to the small hole, and I went in the bigger hole since I had bigger tires and didn't want to rut the hole he was in too deep.

That got old after a while, so he decides we should try to climb this huge, off camber hill made of slick mud. I had absolutely no intention of climbing the hill, but he just had to do it anyways. After a lot of slipping and sliding, he somehow got his Jeep up the hill. Everybody then starts talking crap to me and trying to get me to do it. I kept saying no, that my Explorer was way too top heavy with the lift, and couldn't handle that much lean. Some how or another ( :chug: and trying to impress the girls ), they talked me into giving it a shot. BIG MISTAKE.

I started up the hill quite well, having no trouble at all where the Jeep was sliding and kept getting stuck to start with. At the top of the hill, where two huge holes and the off camber bank are located, things went bad. I made it around the first large hole and was trying to squeeze by the next one without going up the bank too much and having the truck lean too bad. As I was rounding the hole, my rear end slipped to the right and I started to slide backwards. (very bad, to my right was a big drop off) In a quick, desperate attempt to stop from going over the edge, I turned so that my left front end would drop into the large hole, stopping me from sliding.

The event scared the crap out of me and my passengers, so one of the guys on the passenger side decides he's gonna jump out, even after I said not to do it. He jumps out, letting 200+ lbs off the right side of my truck, then slams the door. The shift of the weight and the slamming of the door tips my truck over VERY far into the hole. So much that both of my right side tires were off the ground, the front about 2' and the rear about 6". I couldn't even get out to look because I couldn't open my door the ground was so close. (I could reach out the window and touch the dirt.) Now everybody is really freaking out. :eek:

Scared as crap, I start trying to coordinate what do to get me unstuck over the CB. Problem is, everybody's too afraid to come help except for John. He comes up the hill and I get him to explain what is happening so that I can think of what to do. After a lot of thinking, we decided that the only way was for him to sit on my hood and fender to push the front end down enough to keep me from tipping over. He climbs up on the fender and it levels me out a little, but not enough to get the wheels on the ground. (he weighs around 270, big guy) No one else is willing to help, even though all we need is a little more weight. One guy standing around thinks that if I slide back far enough to get my left rear out of the first hole, my right rear will be back on the ground again. The thing is though, if I do that and John isn't heavy enough to counter balance the lean, it's a gaurantee that the truck is gonna fall over on its side.

After a lot of talking ourselves up to having the balls to give it a shot, we go for it. As I slide back, the truck starts to lean over even farther. We're all thinking it's gonna tip over, and I can't stop because the mud is too slick. Just as I'm about to crap my pants, I feel the rear end come up out of the hole! I keep sliding and the front goes out of the second hole, then back through the first, but I can't stop and the Jeep is only about 15' below me, directly in my path! I was sliding slowly, so John jumps off and runs to his Jeep to move it.

He gets in his Jeep, cranks it up, gives it gas, and he's stuck!! I'm sliding straight at him and he's on the CB saying he can't get out of my way! I look in my mirrors trying to find a way to stop and see a rut just to my left. I turn at the rut, slide into it, and slide right next to his Jeep, missing it only by about 6"!

All that scared the crap out of us so much that we decided to call it a night. We got the Jeep unstuck and headed home. I mentioned quite a few times how pissed off I was that nobody else would help add weight to the front end, and that they would be wasting their time if they were to ask me for anything in the future.

Needless to say, I don't think I'll be wheeling anytime soon, especially if I've been drinking anything. There were enough scares in that one night to last me for quite a while.

Oh yeah, no pics. It was too dark.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow! great story..... you have to admit though ... the "almost" stories are the best. Usually never any damage, but kept me on the edge of my seat (granted it's 3:45 am here and I'm supposed to be studying Farday's Law for my 8am exam).

Anyways, good to hear everything went ok (kinda). Take it easy next time!

hmm,,

drinking and wheeling is a very bad idea for one thing.
when your getting "talkied into" things with your fellow wheeling buddys,, take into consiteratoin " can my rig realy do this" know your rigs limits and abide by them, even if you think you rig is capable,, sometimes the nervisnouse of thinking it cant,, is enough to cause you to get stuck,, exsperence comes into play here.
just remember, your the one who is driving,, it's your money and your broken parts, not there's
tell them no if you know your rig is not capable.
i know where your coming from lol i have been there and done that, i have been wheeling for a few years now and have had mine as well lol, i was over confident with one of my rig's (my 85 Ford Bronco2) and it is now smashed lol
learn the limits of your rig,, and your driving.
besides, what good are they eggin you on if there not willing to help you get out of what they got you into? lol through that at them nextime they try that again lol.
im thankfull that the group i go with is a realy great bunch, they all are very willing to jump right in to help when something goes wrong,, as i try to do as well.
happy wheeling!
Isaac:)

The fact that those wussies would help is complete BS monkey. That is crap, we seem to get my roommate's 3" lifted cherokee in tippy situations all the time. That sucker can really go places and he's not afraid to keep up with my X, but he does get wheels up in the air and tippy all of the time. We got it down to a science. If it feels like it's gonna roll we throw a strap off of the side to ensure it doen't. I have also gotten real good at jumping on his rear bumper while he is searching for traction.

Hey John, ya gotta come north and play with us more :bounce: , we won't leave ya hanging. Lizard and I saw some serious 3 wheel (and occasional 2 wheel) action the last time we were at Paragon. :eek: We had a Zuki almost land upside down in a creek, and almost every vehicle that did the creek crossing had a wheel a couple of feet in the air. Major pucker factor, but since we had SPOTTERS!! no one got in deep trouble.

Well, I now know why the Jeep made it up the hill. It has a limited slip in the rear. If I had the same, I think I could have also made it, because if I could have went forwards it would have solved the whole problem.

That makes me feel a little better.

That is a great story! I was picturing the hill in my mind as it sound like the one my buddy and I went up in his YJ. Even the drop off part sounde the same. The story really got frightening when you came to the part about the jeep being stuck below. I thought that would be the bad finish to an otherwise lucky way out of the situation.

Glad to hear you got out safely with no damage. Tell those non-helpers to try to drive their own cars up the hill and see if they get help from you.

man that sucks. glad it all worked out with only wetness of the pants and not crumpling of a quarter panel. watch out for cars joining you though. my last car, a 89 ford taurus station wagon, front wheel drive, could go through some stuff. could tear up some sand, and climbed a few sand hills. amazed the mess out of me. didn't take it in mud though :( so watch out if you see a lifted shag wagon joining you with some all terrain tires :D

LOL :rolleyes:

Re: hmm,,

Originally posted by Michigander
Wow! great story..... you have to admit though ... the "almost" stories are the best.
Yeah, it's kind of like a story with a happy ending since there's no damage.
Originally posted by Isaac
drinking and wheeling is a very bad idea for one thing.
when your getting "talkied into" things with your fellow wheeling buddys
If it hadn't been for the drinking, I never would have went in the first place. I can do stupid stuff sometimes, and usually learn how stupid it is the hard way.
Heh heh... It wasn't my buddies that talked me into trying, it was all the chicks telling me to do it. You just can't say no to a set of hoo hoos. :)

Originally posted by Dannyboy
The fact that those wussies would help is complete BS monkey.
Originally posted by Crankcase
Tell those non-helpers to try to drive their own cars up the hill and see if they get help from you.
Payback will be a b!tch. Mark my words, I will get them back somehow.
Originally posted by Blue Steel
watch out for cars joining you though. my last car, a 89 ford taurus station wagon, front wheel drive, could go through some stuff. could tear up some sand, and climbed a few sand hills. amazed the mess out of me.
I know a guy that took a lowered Ford Probe up some crazy mud hills and through huge mud holes. He'd just get going so fast that he'd basically hydroplane across the holes. That was some crazy stuff to watch! :confused: :eek:

Originally posted by Crankcase
The story really got frightening when you came to the part about the jeep being stuck below. I thought that would be the bad finish to an otherwise lucky way out of the situation.

Isn't that the worst when you can see something terrible happening right before your eyes?! Nice to be able to recover within inches though. :)

One time I was at a party and we were all parked on the front lawn. The people had like a well or something with a big cement cover over it in their yard. This one girl went to leave in her Supra and got stuck on the well cover. So she jumps out all scared and freaking. So 4 guys just lift her car off of it. Then, duhhh, oops she left it in drive! The car started heading right for the house! Someone jumped in and stopped it about 2 feet from the house though!

Imports have a mind of their own ;)

Heh That reminds me

of the first time I ever went fourwheeling (well as a driver anyway)..

I went in my Ex with someone from this board (J91Ford--- he sold his Explorer and is now building a Land Cruiser/Rockcrawler) .....

It was me and my two kids....LOL boy was I green....I knew nothing .....and good thing I didn't know alot...Cause I would have been really crappin my pants...

We went locally ....Pendel (closed now....cement barriers to enterances and "violators will be shot and/or prosecuted...depending on who catches said violator first)

Anyway.... those hills were full of loose gravel and underneath the loose gravel was really mucky mud....going up wasn't hard.... it was coming down...

Coming down one of the last hills I started to slide....and I was sliding real fast right towards J91.. he was trying to spot my truck....trouble was..... absolutely no traction...

at the end of the hill was a level off area and beyond that was a smaller but damn steep hill with 2 huge ruts gorged out of it.... I finally got the Ex under control enogh where I could at least slow down on the level off point...but even that wasn't enough..... I small roll forward sent me straight down into the bigger rut....

good thing that my kids and I were seat belted in.... she rolled onto the drivers side....but in a very slow motion sort of way.....here I was looking at dirt....my son was strapped in his seat looking down at me.....and my daughter was screaming and holding onto the dog cage barrier (she was still seatbelted in) We didn't go anywhere....we were just stuck like that.... luckily Jim had his winch and he pulled my ex enough forward where my passengers side tires could grab onto the sides of the rut at the deepest part of the rut.... scarey crap...

Frankly I'm surprised that my kids still get in the truck and go offroad after that...especially my daughter...lol

Now look at her....she's queen of the mud lol

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Karol

Great Story John! I was on my seat throughout the whole thing! Glad your safe.

Back