• Register Today It's free!

Increase Tow Capacity

shadow35

Reaction score
City, State
Morrisville, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Sport-trac
I have a 2010 Sport-trac and I'm looking for ways to squeeze a little more tow capacity out of it. Right now it is 100% stock with a class III/IV hitch. I would like it up to the neighborhood of 8000 lbs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you need to carry that much weight you really should invest in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for towing duties. But to make the truck more stable at its rated capacity you can install, if available for your vehicle, load level shocks available at your autoparts store. These are basically hd shocks with an extra coil spring around the outside (an affordable coilover shock). Other things can be done but would require fabrication, like airbags. Airshocks are also an option...

SVT

I'm not looking to haul anything that heavy in the bed. I looking to be able to tow a horse trailer mainly. I know my sport-trac and tow around 6000 lbs but that is about the weight of the trailer and one horse. I'm trying to be able to tow 2 horses.

You could change gears but that would be a bit expensive. The biggest problem you will have is stopping the trailer and having enough power to pull it up some hills.. That is alot of weight for a sport trac. There are some 1/2ton pickups that are only rated at 8000+.... So i have to agree that you should invest in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup to pull that much weight safely without damaging what you have got!! Or Sell a horse!! hahaha.

why not use a weight distribution hitch or something like a "hitch hog"

You could change gears but that would be a bit expensive. The biggest problem you will have is stopping the trailer and having enough power to pull it up some hills.. That is alot of weight for a sport trac. There are some 1/2ton pickups that are only rated at 8000+.... So i have to agree that you should invest in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup to pull that much weight safely without damaging what you have got!! Or Sell a horse!! hahaha.

Could not have said it better myself. There is only so much you can do to increase your capacity as you are still restricted to the limits of your motor and transmission.

I plan on re-gearing my 04 Explorer to 4.10's for off-roading but don't plan on towing more than 5500 which it's rated for with only 3.73's.

While your truck may be able to pull and haul more than its rated for, and can be upgraded to haul even more, there is a reason why it has a rating and why its rated for what it is. It's not that the motor can't pull the load, its the capacity of the braking system being able to safely stop the load. If you overload the bed or trailer, you risk lifting the front off the ground. Imagine how dangerous it would be if your front end was up in the air with your rear almost dragging the ground and had to perform panic braking. It wouldn't take much to lose traction by locking the front wheels, not to mention losing steering ability...

SVT

First off not sure if you have a v6 or v8 but I would at least hope you have a v8. The major limiting factor I see on overloading any explorer is the rear end. If you try to take off with over 5000 lbs behind you the carrier will crack in half and wreck havoc in your diff. I did it with maybe 3500lbs behind me.

There are also the concerns of braking and tongue weight. You SHOULD NEVER EXCEED the 500lbs for tongue weight, its just not safe in a explorer.

These newer trucks might be rated for 5000lb gross weight towing but I personally think they are pushing the envelope of the actual capabilities of the truck.

Back