How to: - Installation of Rear/Lower Air Deflector | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Installation of Rear/Lower Air Deflector

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Look closely at the nut that retains the heat shield above the left muffler. Looks really loose to me.

Loose Nut.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The one I ordered from Benny came yesterday. Backed the ST up on ramps. 1 beer and several slices of pizza later, the job is done. Took longer than expected. Damn cat kept stealing the pizza. Had to catch it and secure it in the garage. Not a happy cat. :snicker:

Yep, already noticed that. The stud has a bit of a nick in the first thread, so I have to get on my back and push hard to thread the nut on.

The dealership was cool and ordered the deflector, strut tower insulator, and of course the tow hook. Normally this is an easy DIY, but since they put in a claim with Ford, have to run it down for the service department to deal with this whenever the parts come in.

I had to do the same thing. Only took about 20 minutes so not a big deal.

Probably referring to the dealership throwing the deflector on. Threading a nut on will take about two seconds.

You are correct. And that was for the front and rear insulators.

:D Mine was missing the screws at the rear. My mechanic had some in his "what do I do with these left over parts" box.

:D Mine was missing the screws at the rear. My mechanic had some in his "what do I do with these left over parts" box.

My dealer Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg, MD installed this for me today free of charge while I waited for my first oil change/tire rotation. They also reprogrammed the PCM because I had a check engine light come on once at 2000 miles, which then went off then came back on again this morning, at 3800 miles. Everything seems fine now! Ford recommended to reprogram PCM to latest calibration and retested it. If there are future check engine light problems, they will replace the PCM.

Attachments

• 20200408_180344.jpg
    20200408_180344.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 225

Stop in at Criswell Chevrolet and say hi to Mike Furman for me. Bought a C7 from him. He is the leading all time Corvette salesperson world wide.

Stop in at Criswell Chevrolet and say hi to Mike Furman for me. Bought a C7 from him. He is the leading all time Corvette salesperson world wide.

That name sounds familiar!

Mike is very well known in Corvette circles. He is known for hosting his clients at Spring Mountain Raceway in Pahrump, NV. He is also a fixture at "Corvettes at Carlisle" and, the Corvette Bash in Bowling Green where the Corvette is assembled.

First the good news. The deflector was installed last week. It fits just fine on our Platinum and, while I may be smoking something, we believe the car/truck is actually quieter. May just be our imagination but since both of us thought of it independently so it's probably a fact.

Now the bad news. Way back in this forum I told folks that in order to get the deflector I had to pay for it. It wasn't listed on the build order...they said. The dealer did agree to pay for the install.

Then I found out the deflector didn't come with fasteners. No big deal, I thought. See the attachment. $27 for 11 fasteners tells me a lot about where Ford makes it money. And even then, the mechanics were sort two fasteners. No they didn't charge me. But if some of you are looking for a fastener list, here it is, short two.

At least it's done but I'm still fighting with the dealer over the front end rumbling and the cranky transmission.
But we'll get there.

IMG_0822.JPG

I simply gave Benny a list of missing parts. Told him to invoice me. Within 3 weeks,I had all the missing parts.

I simply gave Benny a list of missing parts. Told him to invoice me. Within 3 weeks,I had all the missing parts.

I ordered through Benny but the hardware to install the deflector that I got is mostly wrong and incomplete. I just needed 2 wheelhouse liner rivets and 4 bolts for the rear edge. The 4 nuts on the side are already on the car. Instead, I got two extra rivets, two nuts and 2 large bolts that I didn't need. None of the 4 bolts for the rear edge are listed in the parts list he gave me.

Does anyone have the part number for the 4 bolts on the rear edge? Or even the specs of it.

I ordered through Benny but the hardware to install the deflector that I got is mostly wrong and incomplete. I just needed 2 wheelhouse liner rivets and 4 bolts for the rear edge. The 4 nuts on the side are already on the car. Instead, I got two extra rivets, two nuts and 2 large bolts that I didn't need. None of the 4 bolts for the rear edge are listed in the parts list he gave me.

Does anyone have the part number for the 4 bolts on the rear edge? Or even the specs of it.

I have a handful of multiple parts, so I can verify after trying the install. Otherwise I suppose you could contact Benny and just see if he can help.

I have a handful of multiple parts, so I can verify after trying the install. Otherwise I suppose you could contact Benny and just see if he can help.

You only need two parts (two plastic pushpins, and 4 washer bolts). Benny is going by the Ford parts diagram list which is wrong. I believe Ford mixed up the part # for two of the bolts. I believe the rear bolts (4) to be W715060-S450B. I ordered them from Amazon so will confirm once I get them on Tues.

These are the ones that you need to mount the deflector to the rear bumper cover W716345-S450B
Ford W716345-S450B Screw Pack of 4 | eBay

Well, I can confirm that the part I listed also works. I think the only difference is how long they are. So for anyone ordering online or from the local dealer, just be aware that Ford's diagram and parts listing is WRONG.

Here is the parts breakdown of what you need.

L1MZ-7811778-A Under Cover
W714040-S300 Wheelhouse Liner Rivet (qty 2)
W715060-S450B Screw And Washer, 4.2 x 25mm (qty 4) -- or W716345-S450B, 4.2 x 20mm (per TMMST)

The two rivets and washer/bolts should cost about $10 total. The two nuts on each side of the rear under cover are already on the car. Install takes about 15 min tops. Just put some cardboard on the floor and lay on your back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I can confirm that the part I listed also works. I think the only difference is how long they are. So for anyone ordering online or from the local dealer, just be aware that Ford's diagram and parts listing is WRONG.

Here is the parts breakdown of what you need.

L1MZ-7811778-A Under Cover
W714040-S300 Wheelhouse Liner Rivet (qty 2)
W715060-S450B Screw And Washer, 4.2 x 25MM (qty 4) -- or W716345-S450B (per TMMST)

The two rivets and washer/bolts should cost about $10 total. The two nuts on each side of the rear under cover are already on the car. Install takes about 15 min tops. Just put some cardboard on the floor and lay on your back.
Yeah I found out too late that the BOM on the Ford parts website was incorrect. It would be nice if everything came as a kit. These deflectors sure look nice and they complete the underside of the vehicle.

Back