vroomzoomboom

Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 supercharged 347 sport
i have posted this in a ranger message board, figured i would also put it up here.

i have a 07 level 2 (has 33's on it if this will count) with around 260kms (161 miles) on it. starting this winter, i have noticed a cluck or thud when the truck is in 4x4. it feels like its from the front end, or front side of the truck, and not the back. the other problem is its intermittent. it will happen when being driven a distance of around one km, or around a 1/2 mile no matter what speed. also the faster you are travelling, the harder the clunk or thud. the best way i can describe it is it feels like hitting a joining point on the road that is separated. it will only do it in 4x4 and not 2wd. the front u joint was replace around 2 years ago, as well as the passengers front cv axle. the drives axle was also replaced in the spring if i remember right, or last year. there is no grind sound, and its not popping out of 4x4 either.
thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m not familiar enough with the IFS front axle, but there must be more than one u joint. You say you replaced the u joint, did mean joints plural? Because u joint would be my first thought on this. Second would be hubs. Or possibly front driveshaft u joint?
You’ve probably thought of all this but just throwing ideas out there...

Check the front diff torque bracket bushing. Try to pry the bracket down from frame. If you can move that at all, the bushing is loose, allowing a bind.

I’m not familiar enough with the IFS front axle, but there must be more than one u joint. You say you replaced the u joint, did mean joints plural? Because u joint would be my first thought on this. Second would be hubs. Or possibly front driveshaft u joint?
You’ve probably thought of all this but just throwing ideas out there...

the front end on this is pretty much identical to the 2nd gen ex's. the front drive shaft has a u joint on the diff side, and a cv at the transfercase side.
hubs possibly. i did both sides around 3 something years ago, and replaced them with either skf or timken so they werent cheap ones. i also dont really travel far to often with it (work is 5 mins away) so there isnt too many miles on the parts i replaced.

thanks for the link jon. i think i even remember when you first posted this and the link to the video was still alive. i will check that bushing and see what shape its in. the clunk seems to be on the drivers side but hard to say for sure, and i can also feel something around my feet, but i wrote it off to the body life shifting a tiny bit do to the cold.
ill look it over tomorrow and report back.

got around to seeing whats what with the front diff. crawled under it yesterday to see if that bushing would move with a pry bar. rock solid, to very little movement. while i was there, i also wanted to check the diff fluid. it was down a little but not much at all. but then i happen to look at the front cv axle on the drivers side.

324682587_1207576223476866_8662043696801219246_n.jpg

324974485_2212060238977450_5067940647739988103_n.jpg

it looks like its floating around and wanting to pull out of the diff. i think what is happening is the cv's are binding up on themselves. i will have to see if i can force it back in with everything together. if not, i will have to pull the axle out and see if the lock ring has broken or why it is not holding.

I don't feel like the clip is going to keep it from walking out like that. You might have a worn cv axle.

Edit
See what the cvs do while spinning wheels at full droop, both front wheels in air on jackstands. Do this while also checking steering angle.

yesterday was nice out (hell, its been nice all winter, hope i didnt just jinx it) so i pulled everything apart to see what was going on. i was also sure that axle was fairly new as well. the verdict, the clip was missing from the end of the axle. i was also right as well, that axle is new because there was zero rust on the nut and threads. looks like im making a order to rock auto

You just need a clip?
i might? the thing that got me to also thinking replace it even if that axle isnt that old is did i do any damage to it? after all, the angles have changed with it trying to walk out of the diff, and if that is whats binding up it may have worn everything out inside.

today i had a chance to go for a ride to see if its still acting up. well, thats 80 bucks i will never get back. still doing its thing :angryfire:

with the clunk still around in this thing, i had to talk to jamie (410fortune) about something a few days back and asked him if he has ever had this problem. he made a suggestion to change the cv end near the transfer case as it might be binding up do to age or worn out. it does make sense because to me i could feel it through the floor in that area when it happen. i have some spare front driveshafts from explorers in the shed that i think i will try tomorrow while i am fixing my other screw up.

337650763_584706803714773_7527901400921533589_n.jpg

guess someone forgot to torque the lug nuts when he changed the front axle. found 4 out of the five lugs within 6 feet of each other. was also lucky because i heard a grinding sound, slowed down to make my turn off (was going 110kms or 70 mph), slowed down, and it went away. made my turn and sawed the wheel back and forth to see if it was still there. when i did that, i thought i saw mud (was the lug nuts) fly past the window. 20 feet later, the front tire left the chat room. got a buddy to pick me up, got my jack, stand and impact. bolted the wheel back on, drove home. ground a little of the crown nut, cotter pin is still there and broke one stud. that will be fixed tomorrow because its suppose to be -1C or 30F. yes, its warm now!

Holey smokes!! No c clip on the cv axle and now the lugs came off and there goes the wheel!! Poor ranger hahahahahaha

If it’s any consolation my bronco spit out a spring yesterday and broke the lower shock mount

616F28CE-1E57-4C5E-B8CC-9E0BDD992D38.jpeg

75555E9C-A25D-47D0-829B-E498A3609536.jpeg

Only happens in the worst spots!! Was able to re seat spring and get her home for repairs

It says never stuck not sometimes broke

Holey smokes!! No c clip on the cv axle and now the lugs came off and there goes the wheel!! Poor ranger hahahahahaha

c clip is there. i put a new axle in. same with the big nut on the axle, its still there to. however that is going to be re torqued as well as ALL of my lugs!
you were out playing when your spring let go. when you play, you pay. i have my screen name for a reason lol

Back