Intermittent power steering

2001XLT_Pilot

Reaction score
City, State
Bath, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Hi gang,

I have a 2001 Exploder Sport. The other day I was pulling out of a parking lot and it felt like it stalled but as it turns out, the power steering just quit working. I drove it home (another 45 miles) and then drove to work the next morning (96 miles) without power steering but when I pulled into my office, it magically started working again. This happened once before about two years ago. I drove it to work only because I figured it would clear itself up again without any intervention on my part. And it did.

Has anyone else had these intermittent occurrences of a loss of power steering that magically starts working again? What do you think (or perhaps know) causes this? Seeing that it's only happened twice since I bought the thing many years ago, I highly doubt it's a power steering pump failure.

Any ideas???

Thanks.

Mike

Two things:
1: Has the truck been jacked up in the front lately? Someone move the steering wheel when it was in the air? That could introduce air into the system. To purge it, open the power sterring resevoir, have someone turn the wheels from lock to lock for you as you watch for excessive air bubbles, refill when returned to the center position. You may have to do that up top 10 times.
2: You might want to change the fluid and clean the screen. Open up the resevoir and remove the screen, clean it up. While its out, and while the wife isn't watching, get the turkey baster and suck out the old fluid. Replace what fluid you can, replace forementioned cleaned screen and you should be good to go. How you explain the disappearance of the baster is up to you and I can't be held responsible for your actions and will claim no knowledge. Just keep it out in the garage or with your tools, don't put it back in the kitchen.
These are the only things I can think of, your results may vary, no warranties expressed or implied. Please follow all safety guidlines and use caution. Others please feel free to add on to this.

Back