• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

iPhone Sync Issues

ezridermn

Reaction score
City, State
Forest Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I have a 2011 Explorer. It has the MyFord Touch System in it. The major software update that was released in March 2012 has been installed.

Everything has worked fine for me since that time. However, in the last week or so the interaction with my iPhone 5 with IOS 6 has been acting flaky. In essence it is to the point where I cannot use my phone through the MyFord Touch System.

Examples of the problems follow. I get an incoming call. I push the answer button on the steering wheel. Normally the phone app would come up on the touch screen. Now it doesn't. I look at the phone and the call is seemingly answered but the caller can't hear me. The audio on my phone is set to sync and the Bluetooth connection is confirmed on the touchscreen.

I will make an outgoing call. Once again the app doesn't come up on the touch screen and the telephone ringing sound doesn't play through the speaker system. However, the call will connect and then I can converse even though I never heard the phone ring.

When I try to listen to a voice mail it takes about 10 seconds from the start of the replay before it can be heard through the sync system.

Any idea what's going on? Any idea on how to fix it?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

cnsheets

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explemoner
log into syncmyride.com or goto the dealer for update 3.5.1. If you have NAV, you will need a new NAv card as well.

13Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
I have a 2011 Explorer. It has the MyFord Touch System in it. The major software update that was released in March 2012 has been installed.

Everything has worked fine for me since that time. However, in the last week or so the interaction with my iPhone 5 with IOS 6 has been acting flaky. In essence it is to the point where I cannot use my phone through the MyFord Touch System.

Examples of the problems follow. I get an incoming call. I push the answer button on the steering wheel. Normally the phone app would come up on the touch screen. Now it doesn't. I look at the phone and the call is seemingly answered but the caller can't hear me. The audio on my phone is set to sync and the Bluetooth connection is confirmed on the touchscreen.

I will make an outgoing call. Once again the app doesn't come up on the touch screen and the telephone ringing sound doesn't play through the speaker system. However, the call will connect and then I can converse even though I never heard the phone ring.

When I try to listen to a voice mail it takes about 10 seconds from the start of the replay before it can be heard through the sync system.

Thanks.
Reboot MFT (using either the delayed reboot app, or pulling the fuse, or disconnecting the battery)...

Reboot your iPhone 5

Should be good to go.

Like cnsheets said there is a newer update as well, but if your system has been working fine till recently the reboots should solve your issue

ezridermn

Reaction score
City, State
Forest Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Where to get it...

I am currently running MFT 3.2.2 I just ordered 3.5.1 from syncmyride.com. It said I would get the update and card sometime next week.

I would like to give the delayed reboot app a try. Do you know where I can get the app at?

Thanks.

13Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
I am currently running MFT 3.2.2 I just ordered 3.5.1 from syncmyride.com. It said I would get the update and card sometime next week.

I would like to give the delayed reboot app a try. Do you know where I can get the app at?

Thanks.
http://outofmytouch.com/reboot.html

Follow the instructions on the screen :)

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

Thanks.
Have you checked out the posts on the problems with iOS6 and SYNC/MFT in the IVT forum? You are not alone. Some appear to lay the blame with Apple.
Interesting read in post #201 of the following thread;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359468

As for me and my none smart phone, we just keep chugging along.:D

Peter

13Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport

FordIVTteam

Official Ford Rep
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer

Thanks.
Hey, ezridermn!

I agree with 13Sport; it sounds like you need a reboot. You can also try a Master Reset:

MENU > SETTINGS > SYSTEM > MASTER RESET

Rebecca

13Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Hey, ezridermn!

I agree with 13Sport; it sounds like you need a reboot. You can also try a Master Reset:

MENU > SETTINGS > SYSTEM > MASTER RESET

Rebecca
I really wish that you guys would explain the ramifications of doing a MASTER RESET before suggesting it to everyone. In doing so they lose all pairings, all navigation entries, all settings, etc. It's a pretty egregious step when someone likely just needs to reboot.

It's like telling someone to format their computer (losing all data, etc) when they really only need to turn it off and back on again.

This would be OK if you provided a way to backup the data first, but currently you don't. I think the MASTER RESET advice is getting out of control, it isn't really the fix for everything (or anything for that matter).

FordIVTteam

Official Ford Rep
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer
I really wish that you guys would explain the ramifications of doing a MASTER RESET before suggesting it to everyone. In doing so they lose all pairings, all navigation entries, all settings, etc. It's a pretty egregious step when someone likely just needs to reboot.

It's like telling someone to format their computer (losing all data, etc) when they really only need to turn it off and back on again.

This would be OK if you provided a way to backup the data first, but currently you don't. I think the MASTER RESET advice is getting out of control, it isn't really the fix for everything (or anything for that matter).
Thank you for your feedback, 13 Sport! A Master Reset is our method to clear the system of any errors that some users may encounter. Also, a warning message pops up after selecting MASTER RESET that states all data will be erased. If the reboot that you advised ezridermn to perform doesn't work, he can try a reset.

Rebecca

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C MLB iPhone app updated for Ford sync Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
K iphone 4 and sync Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
E Sync Iphone. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
C SYNC sync of Points of Interest on Web/iphone app/Explorer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
W sync Destinations Iphone App Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
M question on text messaging and iPhone Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
O iPhone 4S & MFT Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
1 Ford new MFT tutorial app for the iPhone/iPad Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 14
R iPhone 4S and MFT WORKS great! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 31
J iPhone and MFT 2.11 Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
V iPhone BT issues - Reverse Pairing Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
C iphone connected via USB - possessed? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
K ? Re: IPhone, Ford Ex, & Hotspots Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
D Anyone have a pic of the iPhone displaying on the MFT screen? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 16
R iPhone/USB Cable routing? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
D Iphone 4 and MFT wifi hot spot Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
N Bluetooth/iPhone/no volume? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
F iPad/iPhone explorer App Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 23
J My Ford touch + iphone (or ipod) Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 22
D Sync upgrade and steering program Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
W AC on High cycles on and off via Sync screen Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
B Sync 3 navigation and traffic function Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
deewan Faulty SYNC/APIM causing battery to drain??? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 16
J 2017 Availability and SYNC 3 Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
O New Sync Version Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
S Sync 3 Ford Explorer 2016 Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
SpiderMD What good is the SYNC Vehicle Health Report? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
D my ford sync???? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
R Just got letter about sync NEW update Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 18
B US Vellular and Ford Sync Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
R My Sync testing problem Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
BobbyMarks Sync or MFT not recognizing Radio/Sirius command Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
2 sync stopped talking to me Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
GeoMimi89 Ford Sync Services Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
GeoMimi89 Ford Sync Services Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
Gatortailale Sweet . . . I have a Sync account! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
W I Have A Sync Account!!!!!! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
M Sync update Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 19
L Sync Problems when trying to play music Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
G How long does it take to download Sync updates to Thumbdrive? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
R re-loading sync 2.11 Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
R sync version?? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
G Clock Won't Sync after Time Change Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
B Microsoft Sync ... underpowered? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
R sync 2.11 not the answer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 17
R Sync did update now no bluetooth or phone Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
J Sync update Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
A How to re-boot MFT/SYNC? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
B Sync Navigation question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
C Chrysler UConnect vs Ford Sync Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3