Is SYNC Services Subscription worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is SYNC Services Subscription worth it?

Saundman

Reaction score
City, State
Converse, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Exploxer LTD Tuxedo
Other than Traffic Reports and Directions/Navigation, is a SYNC Services Subscription worth $60 a year? If it was $20 or lower, I wouldn't be asking but $60 versus a nearly free APP on an Apple or Android product. :scratch:

Side note: I have an iPad 3G and iPhone that I can get News, Stocks, Sports, Travel, Movie Listings, Horoscopes and Weather, Business and Address Searches.

Also, do you get almost the same thing with Sirus Subscription? :scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, we've only used it once in 3 months.

I don't get traffic, weather, or directions with my Sirius. But, I don't know if I'll pay $60 for Sync when the time comes.
Does anyone know when you have to start paying for the subscription?

No, $60.00 a year to use my cell phone and minutes to retreve info, that I can use my iphone for, I will not renew after the complimentary subscription.

I am not crazy about paying for sync myself. The services are the only useful thing of the sync system (other than voice dial, also available on my phone without sync's help).

The only thing I like about sync is you can speak to a live rep if you're having any issues, which is nice. Other than that, the directions aren't that great anyway. Sync got me lost in Atlanta when I was going from FL to TN. This is because it didn't have updated maps from the construction. Funny thing is, my free app on my android was the one that got me there and it had the correct maps.

Other than Traffic Reports and Directions/Navigation, is a SYNC Services Subscription worth $60 a year? If it was $20 or lower, I wouldn't be asking but $60 versus a nearly free APP on an Apple or Android product. :scratch:
It's free for the first 3 years, and worth exactly that.

The part about "normal cellphone charges apply" is lost to most.

My iPhone does a much better job, and the little Garmin Nuvi I bought for $80 for my niece does a much better job of navigating. And it reroutes automatically and pretty instantaneously with no need for additional phone calls or a cell connection.

I've used it a couple times to test out the routing features, then I went and bought a little Nuvi for the Explorer and leave it in the glove box for when I really need more than what my iPhone will do.

I won't be renewing when the free subscription runs out.

Also, do you get almost the same thing with Sirus Subscription? :scratch:

Yes, they are similar.

I don't get traffic, weather, or directions with my Sirius. But, I don't know if I'll pay $60 for Sync when the time comes.
Does anyone know when you have to start paying for the subscription?

You have 3 years of complimentary SYNC Services. You will have to renew your free subscription every year but your system will let you know when. After that, it's $60 a year.

Also, the 3 free years is now based on trim level.

Rebecca

So let me get this straight.

If you want to continue all of the services you have for the first three months it will cost a total of 180 per year? I was under the impression that the full Sirus subscription gave you traffic?

Oh, and I've not read anything about three years free anything based on trim level. One would hope a limited would be in that category.

Yes, they are similar.

You have 3 years of complimentary SYNC Services. You will have to renew your free subscription every year but your system will let you know when. After that, it is be $60 a year.

Rebecca

OK, do I have to purchase a SYNC Services Subscription when adding my phone number or my wife's phone number?

Hello Rebecca,

I have a base 2012 explorer, so the sync services is not free with this model?

Sorry for the double post

Hello Rebecca,

I thought it was 3 years free for all explorers.....I also have a 2008 GMC Acadia and we love the Turn by Turn directions that it gives and were interested in testing the Ford's directions.

So let me get this straight.

If you want to continue all of the services you have for the first three months it will cost a total of 180 per year? I was under the impression that the full Sirus subscription gave you traffic?

Oh, and I've not read anything about three years free anything based on trim level. One would hope a limited would be in that category.

I don't know the cost of SIRIUS radio and SIRIUS Travel Link or how their subscriptions work. You would have to call SIRIUS for that pricing: 888-539-7474.

If you log in/register on SYNCMyRide.com for the first time, it will tell you the pricing for your vehicle. You have a Limited so you have three free years of SYNC Services.

OK, do I have to purchase a SYNC Services Subscription when adding my phone number or my wife's phone number?

No, you don't have to purchase SYNC Services when you add your phone number to the website.

Hello Rebecca,

I thought it was 3 years free for all explorers.....I also have a 2008 GMC Acadia and we love the Turn by Turn directions that it gives and were interested in testing the Ford's directions.

SYNC Services used to be free for 3 years for all vehicles. It has recently changed to the following for the 2012 Explorer and other models:

Base: SYNC with MyFord: SYNC Services are independently purchased by the customer yearly; includes 20 Operator Assist sessions
XLT: SYNC with MyFord: SYNC Services are independently purchased by the customer yearly; includes 20 Operator Assist sessions
XLT: SYNC with MyFord Touch: Three-year complimentary SYNC Services subscription; includes 60 Operator Assist sessions
Limited: SYNC with MyFord Touch: Three-year complimentary SYNC Services subscription; includes 60 Operator Assist sessions

Rebecca

The feature I like best about sync services (I haven't used many) is the ability to send an address from Google maps to my GPS. I guess I will lose that if I don't subscribe down the road. I doubt that I will find that to be worth $60 a year.

The feature I like best about sync services (I haven't used many) is the ability to send an address from Google maps to my GPS.

That's my favorite too. Of course I can't use it (or any other SYNC service) since I live in Canada. :mad:

there are a few others I like, but this is also one of my favorite.

I have MFT and once this is done it does a pretty decent job of emulating navigation.

Also, I live in Los Angeles and have a few destinations set so I can check certain freeway traffic.

after the three years I might be willing to pay the service fee.

I also like the 60 live person calls, though haven't used any yet and think it will be way more than I need.

I may try one this week to see how it does.

Also, I am hoping the iPhone app gets better too

The feature I like best about sync services (I haven't used many) is the ability to send an address from Google maps to my GPS. I guess I will lose that if I don't subscribe down the road. I doubt that I will find that to be worth $60 a year.

That's my favorite too. Of course I can't use it (or any other SYNC service) since I live in Canada. :mad:

No

Sync Free for 3 yrs?

Yes, they are similar.

You have 3 years of complimentary SYNC Services. You will have to renew your free subscription every year but your system will let you know when. After that, it's $60 a year.

Rebecca

Good day Rebecca, I know this is a very old thread however I just bought a 15 xsport. Is Sync Free for my trim level? and do I have to enroll or do something to get it going?

not sure what Sync buys me? I have nav standard, I have a sirius radio subscription already and an iphone.. What else can Sync give me.

Hey expoman55,

Congrats on your new Explorer!

I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, please shoot over your VIN in a private message and I'll send you info on all of the great features you have. :)

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, they are similar.

Rebecca

Well, Even though I have never really used it but it was expiring after just one year of my sports purchase, so it is not free for 3 years. I paid USD 60 to keep the subscription for another one year just because I want every feature this car came with, to work regardless I use it or not.

Back