j602's 2wd Beast | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

j602's 2wd Beast

My name's Josh and I live in Dothan, Alabama. I've owned the truck since November, 2003. It's a 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD. I started with basic upgrades and modifications like new paint, clear corners, tires, and wheels. It then turned into a constant work in progress resulting in what it is now.

It's curent state:
25390sas10.jpg

Specs-

Exterior:

Black metallic paint
Longtek brush guard
35x12.5" Dunlop Mud Rovers
15x8 Rock Crawler 97's
Sylvania Silverstar 9004 headlight bulbs
Clear corners
SRB 6" fogs
Taillight guards
Removed front valence/license plate holder
Custom shorty antenna
4' fiberglass CB antenna with custom mount on T/L guard
Herc'd door jambs
Bedliner'd rockers
Cut front bumper, bedlinered both
Painted grille
Tint
Curt Class III hidden hitch

Interior:

All-Weather floor mats
Leather steering wheel cover
Pioneer DEH-6500 head unit
Infinity Reference 5x7's in doors
(2) Infinity Reference 10's in a sealed enclosure
LA 1000W Amp
Uniden PRO538W CB

Suspension:
Front -
Custom SAS with HP Dana 30 from a Jeep YJ set up for spring over axle
BTF YJ SOA perches
Pro Comp 2.5" lifted YJ springs
BTF shackles
Warrior spring and shackle hangers
Custom hanger mounts
F-250 shock towers
Rancho RS5000's
Rough Country drop pitman arm
BTF crossover steering bracket with DOM links and heim joints
2" Slanted Body Lift

Rear -
Spring over axle with weld on perches
Warrior shackles
2" Tapered Blocks
Pro Comp ES3000 shocks on swaybar brackets
Homemade swaybar extensions
Relocated brake line with custom bracket

Drivetrain:

4wd transmission swap with electric transfer case that is now manual
KKM open element filter
Flowmaster Cat-back with Original 40 Series swapped in
Single Magnaflow high flow cat
Summit Manual Cutout after Y pipe
EGR delete
Motive 4.56 gears w/ Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube
Powertrax No-Slip locker
Skyjacker SS brake lines

What it was:
25390ex01.jpg

Then...
25390ex4.jpg

Then...
25390ex14.jpg

Then...
25390bumper4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the measurements for any of your breckets?

Thanks, Tim

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

you get your drag link yet ?

lifeguard, I'll try to get the measurements. Give me a bit.

JSX, yes and no. I got a DOM heavy duty drag link from Skyjacker, but it's not bent. I was supposed to take it to BlueTorch today to have them put a couple bends in it, but had to go shopping with the girlfriend instead. :rolleyes: It'll go in soon.

thanks. no rush though.

Any specific measurements you want?

how long the front crossmember is and rear leaf mounts. looks like you just used the RA crossmember holes. i realy like your setup and i was hopeing to use it on mine if thats ok?

That's cool man. Yeah, the rear mounts use the existing R/A mounting holes, which works pretty nice. The crossmember extends about 1.5" past the frame rails on each side. I'll work on getting some exact measurements.

How is that bent drag link working out??? Im thinkin of doin this till I can get a high steer set up.

josh

Haven't done it yet. Time has not been kind to me. I hope to get it in Thursday.

Not really. I decided not to go the route of bending a drag link. I have a lead on a Dana 30 with crossover steering already installed for sale locally. I should have that within a few weeks. It also has 4.10 gears with welded spider gears which a plus also. I should be able to use it with my 4.56's without too much trouble as long as I only run it in mud.

I have most of the bugs worked out. I tightened down loose bolts on my shock towers, and ground the corners of my U bolt plates which were hitting my shocks at full flex. Once I get the new steering in it should be done and ready for 4wd.

you hit dirt between mud spots, and i bet your front end starts hopping. unless you engage it in the mud, and disengage before you get out. i personally wouldnt run 2 different gear sets, but thats just me, and i dont know from personal experience or anything. so i mean... if you dont want that axle, i'll gladly take it off your hands if you ship it up here for me :D

Josh watch it on anything but mud, i ran mine with 3.73's in the back and 4.56's welded in the front for a day. As soon as i hit hard dirt my carrier cracked in half. That was with a d35, you'll be pushing the limits of the d30 if you do. If i was you i wouldnt even wheel it unless your stock and need 4wd. When the ratios are different somethings gotta give, it will either be the carrier, axle shafts, driveshaft, or worse case your t-case will pop. Just be easy on it, until you get your gears.

JTX said:
Josh watch it on anything but mud, i ran mine with 3.73's in the back and 4.56's welded in the front for a day. As soon as i hit hard dirt my carrier cracked in half. That was with a d35, you'll be pushing the limits of the d30 if you do. If i was you i wouldnt even wheel it unless your stock and need 4wd. When the ratios are different somethings gotta give, it will either be the carrier, axle shafts, driveshaft, or worse case your t-case will pop. Just be easy on it, until you get your gears.

thats true. i nwouldnt run the X like that..

on another note, your truck is awesome. Since the 1st and 2nd gens are kinda identical i plan for the setup you used when i sas my truck. Great description and everything was clear. On a scale of 1-10., how hard did you find the install

Aric, JTX - I appreciate the concern. It'll be a WHILE before I even get a T-case, and when I do, I probably won't even end up wheeling it until I swap the gears in the front. Believe me, I'm against tearing **** up, and know full well the negative effects of different ratios. Plus, as stated, the welded diffy is not going to be easy on the D30. Who knows, by the time I'm finally 4wd, I might be ready for a Waggy 44.

97 V8 - Thanks man. How hard was the SAS? Honestly, if you have basic welding/metal skills it's no harder than a lift kit install. I would say probably a 7 on a scale of 1 - 10.

I have very good welding and pretty good metal skills, so maybe it will only be a 6 out of 10 for me :p thats good news. you, 034x4 and some other ranger than did a spring over front end have inspired me thats the way to go. so i'm shooting for next spring, but if i keep having setbacks(i had to spend 650 bucks on my crappy IFS front end this weekend) then it might be later :( but eventually i'll be a "Big Dawg"

So how much do you enjoy the fact that your 2wd explorer got a solid front axle before bmxking?

I had a dream l;ast night of me installing a Soldi axl in the mounty. it wqas nice...i liked it. I need to learn to weld....should know how to by end of may, and have enough money, im hoping mid summer late summer, early fall AT THE LATEST, i'll be SAS'ed in the front. It looks relativaly easy. I think Aric and I's biggest concern will be steering box issues. Other than that its straight forward.

Not sure about if you'd need to change stuff around for the steering linkage, but if you look at 034x4's install, he showed where he braced the frame and just bolted the steering box to the frame. He used a Toyota steering box, but it's the same idea with the 1st gen Explorer steering box (just three bolts through the frame). Then it's just a normal steering setup, pitman arm, drag link, and tie rod.

bmxking5 said:
Not sure about if you'd need to change stuff around for the steering linkage, but if you look at 034x4's install, he showed where he braced the frame and just bolted the steering box to the frame. He used a Toyota steering box, but it's the same idea with the 1st gen Explorer steering box (just three bolts through the frame). Then it's just a normal steering setup, pitman arm, drag link, and tie rod.

Thanks man. Thats what i thought. Now are these 3 bolt holes already there or do i have to drill them? I cant remember if he had to drill em (thats a loong thread).

Back