JTX's D44 Solid Axle Swap Thread! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JTX's D44 Solid Axle Swap Thread!

Well i finally got almost all my parts gathered up so its time to start the thread. I decided to go solid mainly because the TTB couldnt take the abuse i was throwing at it. I needed something that could take a little more abuse while still being able to be road worthy. The TTB was a good axle, dont get me wrong, it just doesnt like 35's and 4.56's with a welded diff. :) Ill get some pictures and specs up within the next few days.

The goal, this is mainly a trail rig, Its already caged and the inside is gutted, once the solid axle is complete the Explorer will be getting a new paint job. After that im going wheeling for a couple years before my next major project!

Specs:

Front Axle
-1979 F-150 HP D44 Full-Width $120
-4.88 Gears and install kit (Installed myself) $150
-Mini Spoil/Possibly Aussie Locker
-Bronco Graveyard Coil Buckets
-Custom Lower Coil Mounts
-Custom Radius Arms with Heims
-SkyJacker 6 Inch Extended Brake Lines $Free
**I'll add more as i go

Rear Axle (Axle was used up to last year, in great condition)
-1979 F-150 Ford 9 Inch $120
-4.88 Gears and Install Kit $150
-Mini Spoil, came with gears $Free
-Brakes were brand new, no need to change.
-Stock Explorer Shocks
-79 Stock F-150 Brake Lines
-Custom Driveshaft
**I'll add more as i go

Before!
16785JTX3.jpg

16785PANA00321.jpg

16785PANA0028.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well after Moab i have decided to 4 link the front. Im gonna keep this set up while i build my other axle up. I have another axle that came with my radious arms. I believe it is a mid 70's HP Dana 44 with weld on perches. I will start cleaning it up this weekend and get pictures of the axle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why 4 link it? The setup you have could work fine with a few changes. Get the steering fixed so it isnt so booty fabbed. Add a few braces to the radius arm frame brackets. Then fix the spring perch and brake line on the 9". Put some clips to hold the front springs in and run it. None of that is stuff I dont think you already knew needed to be addressed. After looking at your setup at moab, there were a few areas as listed above that need to be fixed but for being 19 or however old you are I would have had no idea on how to do a SAS at that age. For that I comend you. I also really like how you did the door latches on your setup. Very slick.

Yeah im gonna fixc all that **** and continue wheeling it. But in the mean time im just gonna slowly build up the other axle to four link sometime soon. I gotta pull that pos locker out and take it back to 4wheelparts. They said they would take it but i only get a in store credit. Bummer! :)

JTX said:
They said they would take it but i only get a in store credit. Bummer! :)
Do you hear that? A Warn 9k is calling your name. :D

JTX said:
I gotta pull that pos locker out and take it back to 4wheelparts. They said they would take it but i only get a in store credit. Bummer! :)

which locker is that? aussie? in the 44 or 9?

The quick lock in the dana 44. The thing has maybe 6 miles on it, if that. all it does is click and disengage. I had to back on the trailer because the front couldnt hold.

Back