Key FOB cover | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key FOB cover

Thanks - got to get one for the wife's - she just dumps it into her purse never to be seen again :)

on edit - watch it - didn't ask me what color I wanted on ebay .... best not buy it yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on Amazon - it does ask for color, but its 8.99
(Ebay is 6.99)

All before my time Peterk :) so glad it got brought back up... after all, isn't it a 'discussion' forum :)

Wish there was a way to remove the chip/sensor so it fits in your wallet or something, never needing the keys at all.

Wish there was a way to remove the chip/sensor so it fits in your wallet or something, never needing the keys at all.

I was thinking that today too. be nice if you just got like a credit card thing to put in your wallet. I rarely use the remote to operate any of the buttons always just grab the handle to lock or unlock

I was thinking that today too. be nice if you just got like a credit card thing to put in your wallet. I rarely use the remote to operate any of the buttons always just grab the handle to lock or unlock

Exactly, and if you install the iPhone app for starting it for the remote start, theres almost no need for the fob itself. Someone has got to be able to figure that out.

Exactly, and if you install the iPhone app for starting it for the remote start, theres almost no need for the fob itself. Someone has got to be able to figure that out.

wait....there's an app to remote start it?!

I know they have that for Viper alarms, but is that an actual app in the MFT, or are you just saying it's something they could do?

wait....there's an app to remote start it?!

I know they have that for Viper alarms, but is that an actual app in the MFT, or are you just saying it's something they could do?

Yes, its quite costly, dealer cost on the part itself is like $380 plus an hour to install it. Then theres an iPhone app you download thats $50 a year. It can remote start, lock and unlock, and honk the horn from your phone signal. Like getting off a plane you can start it and itll be nice and warm by the time you get to it. It even gives you a timer. its pretty cool, but pretty expensive too.

But if for some reason it didn't open, dead battery perhaps, you need the key blade to open the door.

Peter

Yes, its quite costly, dealer cost on the part itself is like $380 plus an hour to install it. Then theres an iPhone app you download thats $50 a year. It can remote start, lock and unlock, and honk the horn from your phone signal. Like getting off a plane you can start it and itll be nice and warm by the time you get to it. It even gives you a timer. its pretty cool, but pretty expensive too.

So you have the viper system them? Or are you talking about a Ford system? I've heard of the viper setup before, just not the ford one.

But if for some reason it didn't open, dead battery perhaps, you need the key blade to open the door.

Peter

I need a house key, no biggie to put on a slim cut door key like the one that is hidden in the base of the key fob. It's the bulky giant plastic remotes and keys I hate carrying. I can carry 6 thin-cut metal keys on my keyring, or ONE big honking plastic autmotive key....I'd rather have the thin cut metal ones, and just a credit card sized thing in my wallet for the wireless portion.

The only problem with that is, what would you use for power? The chip has to be powered by the battery in the fob. I verified that by removing the battery and trying to lock the vehicle using the 'touch' button on the handle and nothing happened.

Peter

As I mentioned in my post to Harley#356, the chip in the fob has to be powered to work. I also do not use the lock/unlock buttons on the fob but do use the button to open the liftgate. It has come in very handy on several occasions when I'm still in the store, particularly the hardware store at the checkout and someone is going to load the items you are paying for. I also use the remote start a few times in the Winter and don't have or plan to get an iphone.
The fob is of no bother to me. Since I'm retired I very seldom wear anything but jeans when I dress. The fob fits perfectly in that small watch or coin pocket and it stays there all the time. Having said all that, I do acknowledge that the IA fob is a bit on the large size

Peter

The only problem with that is, what would you use for power? The chip has to be powered by the battery in the fob. I verified that by removing the battery and trying to lock the vehicle using the 'touch' button on the handle and nothing happened.

Peter

interesting. Did not think it would need to be powered for the passive lock/unlock by touching the door handle. Even at that, they make those ultra slim LED keychains that a lot of companies use for promotional items. Could have made the remote fob thinner like that, still with a battery, and more keychain friendly (less bulky) as a secondary key. One full blown one with all the buttons, and one ultra-slim one. Since it's not my primary driver, it's my wife's, I wouldn't mind a slimmed down fob with less functionality and a smaller size.

But it's all just wishes lol. Maybe Ford will read this and get some ideas for down the road.

well - the size is predicated by the functions it does...
security id for the user that's touching that door handle...
remote start...
etc...

I use the remote start ALL the time...
don't like hot cars at all - in fact looking for a way to auto start the cooled seats too :)

and back to the original topic - ordered two of the covers last night !

well - the size is predicated by the functions it does...
security id for the user that's touching that door handle...
remote start...
etc...

I use the remote start ALL the time...
don't like hot cars at all - in fact looking for a way to auto start the cooled seats too :)

and back to the original topic - ordered two of the covers last night !
Cooled seats should come on if conditions are considered 'Hot Weather'. See the thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362831&highlight=remote+start

The temperature thresholds are 32 degrees or colder for heated seats and around 80-85 degrees for cooled seats.

Did you order the skins to be the same colour as the Sport?

Peter

Hey thanks for the link - I KNOW my seats have been hotter than that in DFW this month...

as to color - one blue and one Black so she could tell which was hers
and that is the color combo I am when I try to drive her ExSport :)

Ordered my Key Fob skin for my Explorer Sport 2013 on www.thejacketstore.com and it got to me in 4 days, and I'm in Alaska. Covers the entire FOB, made out of a durable rubber and the buttons are the only thing exposed. 6.50 EA, and you don't have to pay for shipping. Great quality, great deal.

Ordered my Key Fob skin for my Explorer Sport 2013 on www.thejacketstore.com and it got to me in 4 days, and I'm in Alaska. Covers the entire FOB, made out of a durable rubber and the buttons are the only thing exposed. 6.50 EA, and you don't have to pay for shipping. Great quality, great deal.
Your profile shows you have a 2010 Explorer. Is that in addition to the 2013?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@ Peter, received the Sport last week. Profile's updated, Thanks.

Back