King of the Hammers 2014 - Who is Going? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

King of the Hammers 2014 - Who is Going?

Looks like they are looking right at it, and just don't give a crap.:dunno::eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Ted and thanks again for the ride from the airport out there.

Nice find on that video. Those guys on the side by side in the background must have been asleep or watching something else

...You are welcome and I check in with you this weekend about the Mint and an Arizona trail run..:D

Had a blast again this year. While I didn't get a chance to talk to everyone I planned to this year, I still had a blast.
The adventure started Friday before we even made it to the lake bed. The team I went down with just bought a toterhome to pull their trailer with and Sean (car owner/driver) only made it to Shiprock, NM (from Aztec, NM) before it started acting up. He was able to make it back to Gallop, NM before it completely died. Kevin (co driver) took the Super Duty that we were planning pull the 40 foot flat bed with and flat towed the toter and race trailer back to Farmington, NM, dropped the toter off at the shop then hooked to the race trailer and came back to Aztec where we regrouped. Mean while John and I had driven from Junction to Aztec in the snow and had loaded the 40ft flat bed with the Scrambler, my ATV and a Cherokee buggy. We decided to haul the race car trailer with the SD since we needed to get the car to the lake bed to do the final race prep and shock tuning. Sean would try to get the toter fixed the next day and if not he had already lined up a truck to borrow to tow the flatbed. We left Aztec at 9:00pm and drove straight through, arriving Saturday morning to find the pit tent destroyed by the wind. We went to work repairing the tent and setting up the pit.
Sunday I watched the start of the moto race and returned to the pit to find Sean had arrived (in the loaner truck). We helped him unload and went to work on the race car. Spent most of the day Sun. going over the car and preparing it for tech on Monday.
Monday we got the car through tech (after three tries) and tried to get some shock tuning in. At the last minute they got two quick laps on the qualifying course before they closed it (other than some laps in the desert this was the only seat time they had in the new car).
Tuesday was qualifying and despite cutting a tire early in the run they managed to pull down 5th place in the lineup. Back at the pit we discovered the rock had also taken out the sector shaft in the steering box, so off it came and was sent down to PSC for a rebuild. Once they got the box back and reinstalled the car was taken down to the shock tuner for some revalving. They had planned to do some course prerunning in the old Scrambler, but we had to steal a breather off it to pass tech and the engine would blow oil all over at RPM's so they decided to just run the course on race day.
Wednesday was the UTV race and I volunteered to work the course. I was sent out to road crossing 22, which is one of the last crossings on the second lap. I saw a total of 7 cars all day. Met up with Matt, Dave, Brian and Ted for dinner wed. night.
Thursday morning we watched the race start and loaded up to head out to pit 2 as soon as we heard they were through pit 1. We never got the call. Due to not being able to get the shocks fully tuned the rear of the car was bouncing around like a pogo stick. As they approached mile 17 the car took a violent bounce and managed to break the stitching on the left front limit strap. This caused the car to lurch and start to bicycle. Sean floored it in an attempt to drive out of the roll, but without a limit strap on the left front it allowed the front to flex out to the point that the front drive shaft hit the crossmember and launch the car onto its roof at 50mph. The roll ripped the bottom eyes off both front coilovers taking us out of the race. They righted the car and limped it backwards on course back to camp.
Friday found me once again out at rc22, at least this time I got to see a lot more cars pass. Other than the wind it was a good, but long day and I got lots of pics .

Brian, Matt, Dave and Ted, it was good to see you again.

Anywhoo here's my pics. http://public.fotki.com/mrboyle/explorer_4x4_trips/koh-2014/koh-14/

...Thanks for sharing all that Mike..:D

..I was wondering how things went..I saw you in the big tent briefly thursday night just before one of our meetings but couldn't catch ya..in fact, Matt wandered in after the meeting but. I think I ran into him friday morning also..

...I was hoping to get a bunch of pictures of the 4531 team but I don't think I did..:(

...I ran into them in the Redbull tent snagging some redbull heading from the course to the motorhome...Ben was in real good spirits and joking around...:D

Nice pics! I wish I could have made it down this year.

..I've got a bunch more pics I'll be sharing over the next couple weeks including a number of RBV's..;)

DSC0035b.jpg

DSC0038c.jpg

DSC0212b.jpg

DSC0677b.jpg

..I've had a couple minutes from work to find some other pics..These are the3 first ever pics (due to the dust out there) tht I have tried to enhance using Irfanview..They are better by about 40% but the last one still needs help..

DSC0373b.jpg

DSC0441b.jpg

DSC0445b.jpg

DSC0538b.jpg

DSC0547c.jpg

DSC0552b.jpg

..Some more I sorted thru today..

Where's the level ground?

DSC0020b.jpg

DSC0115b.jpg

DSC0111b.jpg

..and here are some more shots from the start of the race Friday..

DSC0814b.jpg

DSC0819b.jpg

DSC0827b.jpg

DSC0835b.jpg

DSC0836b.jpg

DSC0861b.jpg

DSC0902b.jpg

TBars- Were you standing in the 4wheelparts pit? I was standing there the whole time, small world huh.

I like that tracked wheelchair in the background of the green ranger. Saw him tooling around Hammertown in that thing:thumbsup:

..:scratch:..Is it just me or does it seem like all the cool trucks hang out at the bathrooms?..:dunno:

..I forgot to post these for Matt...This Ranger is from Washington and is for sale for 12K..

DSC0066b.jpg

DSC0067b.jpg

DSC0068_2_b.jpg

..:shifty_ey ..Bonus night surveillance pics for waiting..(don't ask)..:D

DSC0223b.jpg

DSC0224b.jpg

DSC0225b.jpg

DSC0226b.jpg

..I forgot to post these for Matt...This Ranger is from Washington and is for sale for 12K..

I went wheeling with him at the bottom of sledge. That is Larry Gibson's Ranger and he just got it. It started the week with a pair of scissor shackles out back and he had Ruffstuff work on it and put those new shackles on during the week. I think it could use more gearing. It just has the stock t-case. Overall pretty cool Ranger.

Here is a video I put together of my friend's KOH race effort. Unfortunately it didn't end so well but they were both OK!

hTK_oeGlCzE

Too bad they rolled, they were doing great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..That video is awesome..:biggthump

Back