• Register Today It's free!

Leaf Springs Info

SpeedBump

Reaction score
City, State
Paducah, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC
My 98 sport has the rear sag, its common and I expect that. On one of my Rear springs the eye is starting to open which is is causing the X to track doglegged going down the road...

anyways I went to local junkyard for springs. The guy that was at the yard told me 2 and 4 door springs are different (that 4 door will not fit 2 door??) . . . other than weight load I thought they were the same.

Help a brother out ???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure they are "different" because they have more leaves :). They'll still fit just fine if they're off any 95 to 2001 Explorer. That's why so many of us very quickly did exactly that swap for our sports.

Yeah, I even had an idiot at the stealership tell me that it wouldn't fit either. They do and it a huge difference.

I don't know what they cost at a junkyard but you can get new ones ( 4 leafs ) for $99.95 at lmctruck.com. All you will need is the Spring Eye Bushings( 4 @ $4.95 ea. ).

I don't know what they cost at a junkyard but you can get new ones ( 4 leafs ) for $99.95 at lmctruck.com. All you will need is the Spring Eye Bushings( 4 @ $4.95 ea. ).

Hi! What difference between 3 leafs or 4 leafs on lmctruck.com? I have 96EX LTD with air ride system & I have "H" rear leaf index on driver door. I'm unmount air ride sys & install new KYB GR2 gas shocks. Now I plan to replace leaf springs (my is broken). So, 3 or 4 leafs?
2Q You wrote 4 Spring Eye Bushings need, but I see on lmctruck catalog - front & rear Bushings. 2 front Bushings (5) $44.95 is need too?

Regards, Ilya.

Hi! What difference between 3 leafs or 4 leafs on lmctruck.com? I have 96EX LTD with air ride system & I have "H" rear leaf index on driver door. I'm unmount air ride sys & install new KYB GR2 gas shocks. Now I plan to replace leaf springs (my is broken). So, 3 or 4 leafs?
2Q You wrote 4 Spring Eye Bushings need, but I see on lmctruck catalog - front & rear Bushings. 2 front Bushings (5) $44.95 is need too?

Regards, Ilya.

Thats what it says and when I ordered I ordered all those parts only to send most of them back. The only thing I kept was the U-Bolts and the spring eye bushings. All other bushings are already on the spring. From what I've been told the 3 leafs were for 2 doors but I'm not sure. I would get the 4 leafs.

Thats what it says and when I ordered I ordered all those parts only to send most of them back. The only thing I kept was the U-Bolts and the spring eye bushings. All other bushings are already on the spring. From what I've been told the 3 leafs were for 2 doors but I'm not sure. I would get the 4 leafs.

Thanx! So, I need order - 2 springs (4 leaf), U_blots+nuts, rear bushing, new front & rear bolts & nuts, right?

I have a 4dr FWD X and ordered the 4-leaf springs from LMC. Instead of sagging a bit as my old leafs did, now they sit completely flat! It's as if I installed 2 x 4's instead. I checked and double-checked that I ordered and received the correct springs, and I did. I replaced all hardware and bushings. All that said, I'd be extremely hesitant to order springs from LMC again. Instead, I installed air ride bags on both sides. Cost about the same but makes a world of difference.

I have a 4dr FWD X and ordered the 4-leaf springs from LMC. Instead of sagging a bit as my old leafs did, now they sit completely flat! It's as if I installed 2 x 4's instead. I checked and double-checked that I ordered and received the correct springs, and I did. I replaced all hardware and bushings. All that said, I'd be extremely hesitant to order springs from LMC again. Instead, I installed air ride bags on both sides. Cost about the same but makes a world of difference.

I take it FWD means Four Wheel Drive. If thats the case, I was told the leaf springs on LMC was for 2wd only. After my leafs from LMC were installed I had no problems whatsoever.

My mistake. My FWD stands for 2 wheel drive (1 too many beers when writing the reply). I wish I could figure why yours was good and mine wasn't. But I am very satisfied with the air ride bags.

Dude, for about 30 seconds I was thinking I'd be able to get my rear leafs done for 100 Bucks, but as it turns out....... That "99.95" is for each side, so it's $99.95 times 2, one for each side, then those bushings that say 4.95, thats ok, but the front spring eye bushings are 45 bucks each... So my dream of 100 Bucks turned into $330.00 real quick. Why'd you have to do that to me....lol.

Dude, for about 30 seconds I was thinking I'd be able to get my rear leafs done for 100 Bucks, but as it turns out....... That "99.95" is for each side, so it's $99.95 times 2, one for each side, then those bushings that say 4.95, thats ok, but the front spring eye bushings are 45 bucks each... So my dream of 100 Bucks turned into $330.00 real quick. Why'd you have to do that to me....lol.

Nope. All you need to order are the leafs and rear spring eye bushings( $4.95 each ).

My mistake. My FWD stands for 2 wheel drive (1 too many beers when writing the reply). I wish I could figure why yours was good and mine wasn't. But I am very satisfied with the air ride bags.

The only thing that matters is that you're happy with what you have.

My LMC shopping cart is prepared. $345.05 shipped for:

Pair of 4-leaf springs
4 rear spring eye bushings
4 U-bolts with washers & nuts
Pair of bolts and nuts for front of springs

Just need to hit the checkout button.

(Picked up a WAR153 shackle kit yesterday for $82.49 shipped.)

My mechanic has offered to do the labor for $60, then I can TT to balance out the front.

My LMC shopping cart is prepared. $345.05 shipped for:

Pair of 4-leaf springs
4 rear spring eye bushings
4 U-bolts with washers & nuts
Pair of bolts and nuts for front of springs

Just need to hit the checkout button.

(Picked up a WAR153 shackle kit yesterday for $82.49 shipped.)

My mechanic has offered to do the labor for $60, then I can TT to balance out the front.

Finally sucked it up and hit the submit button, lol...

Back