LED headlights/retrofit?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED headlights/retrofit?!

I was wondering if there are any led headlights out there. Not the accents. I mean legitament headlights. OR if a retrofit would be a good/bad idea. Retrofit meaning. Rigid Industries duallys inside of the headlamp. (Seen it done)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The do make them, but they are 7x6" or 7" round replacements. Last i checked the are about $250 ea. So.. yes but they will not work.

Dialight makes 90 mm low or high beam modules, as do several others, but Dialight is the cheapest that makes a good LED module. You should be able to fit them both (barely) in a stock style housing and set it up for a dual beam configuration.

They run about $250 a piece. You would need 4.

thankyou guys! you most definitly gave me usefull information. what do you think about the dually idea? yay or nay?

Are you talking about the 4 or 6" square lights?

thankyou guys! you most definitly gave me usefull information. what do you think about the dually idea? yay or nay?

No. A dually makes two types of beams... Spot or flood. Neither of those are the type of beam you want for a headlamp. Worst case scenario, you would get stopped and forced to have your vehicle towed if you get caught driving with them at night... I've seen it happen before to guys who tried using off-road lights as headlamps. And no, they weren't stopped just because a cop saw off-road lamps. He stopped them because of the beam coming off their lights.

You really have 2 options. Retrofit in the 90mm modules, or make a custom front end to accept the square or round headlights. The newer round and square headlights truck-lite makes actually make an acceptable beam, and you can get a pair for around $400. I know a couple drivers who bit the bullet and spent the money on them, and they are actually pretty pleased.

The dialight ones I mentioned earlier are actually extremely low power. The highs and lows together only draw 35 watts, and the lows alone only draw 14 watts a piece.

http://www.dialight.com/Product/List/477481

Thanks for the advice. And that does make sense because tge beams wouldnt merge together if I got tge spots. And I was looking at the dialight lights.

300.jpg
what about KC 300 LZR Black driving lights?

If it is not a headlight, you don't want to use it. Headlight beam patterns are pretty complicated actually.

This is what the various types of auxiliary lights look like
Lighting-Choose.jpg

from 4wheelonline.com

They all produce a round beam that goes up and down as much as they go side to side.

This is what a headlight beam should look like
-Low_beam_light_pattern_for_right-hand_traffic.svg.jpg

from wikipedia commons

and the beam shape is generally a rectangular oval with a flattish top that doesn't project much of it's light above the top of the headlight, kinda like this

058d1322605545-cheap-h4-headlights-autopal-pattern.jpg

from a heep site

You see, most of the beam intensity is confined to the rectangle of light directly ahead. That is what gives you the distance vision. Sure, it doesn't make the road look like it is lit by the light of a million suns, but that is to improve night vision by not having a lot of foreground light reflected back at you.

Your a savior. The amount of information you give is great. I will just stick to possibly those dialights. But not yet. Thankyou.

My brother was talking about this type of stuff... he love leds for some reason.

I like them because they put out an impressive amount of light with a low power draw.

Back