Left rear turn singanl intermittent blinking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Left rear turn singanl intermittent blinking

superdave55

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer xlt
I have a 99 Explorer XLT and the left rear tail light isn't working correctly. When I use the left turn signal the light on the dash board blinks fast sometimes and normal sometimes. What gives?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check for a lose connection at the turn signal bulbs or bulb holders themselves.

Fast blinking is an indicator of a burnt bulb.

Since it comes and goes my guess is a bad connection.

If the bulbs are good and the contacts are good, check the MFS.

I chased the same issue on an F150, spent hundreds at shops trying to get it fixed, and it was the MFS.

MT

MFS = multi function switch.

Further to what shucker1 said, the back of the tail light unit is exposed to all sorts of crap and I've even seen a bulb socket rusted out on a car that's never seen snow.

My explorer and my taurus did the same thing. Take the mfs out, pull it apart carefully and clean the contacts with some sand paper. Did this to both of mine and it fixed the issues.

Where can I find the info on how to replace my left rear tail light assembly? I've noticed that there are two cracks in the lens and there was water collecting inside. That's probably what is causing my problem.

Where can I find the info on how to replace my left rear tail light assembly? I've noticed that there are two cracks in the lens and there was water collecting inside. That's probably what is causing my problem.

No guide needed, it's just 4 bolts and some elbow grease. Literally you losen the bolts and gently pry the light assembly away from the body.

I've noticed that there are two cracks in the lens and there was water collecting inside. That's probably what is causing my problem.

Yup.

As shadowless127 said, it's pretty easy - just follow your nose.

Back