Lift Laws | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift Laws

Nova Scotia, Canada

No more than 3" Body lift, 3" susp. lift, and I think 38" tires here...

Phil B.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Critical_Level2 said:
In Pennsylvania the lowest part of the frame must be within 30 inches of the ground.
Tires cannot stick out past the fenders
Fender flares are allowed to be used but have a max width of 3 inches.

I dunno how it is in your area of PA, but here, they're very leniant about the tires past the fenders. I've rarely heard of people getting fined of pulled over for that, and when they do, it's usually for something else, and they get nailed for that just because they were already pulled over...kinda like illegal tint, nobody cares until they pull you over for something else. There's Trucks running around here with 35's sticking 3+ inches past the flares, and they don't get pulled over. :burnout:

Ontario, Canada

the only law i can think of off hand is that your tires cannot pertrude anymore than 1" past the fender. Flares are allowed but must be under 4"...i think. ill check it out and get back to you.

PA
bumper height
5,000 lbs. or less GVWR 24" front 26" rear
5,001 lbs.-7,000 lbs. GVWR 27" front 29" rear
7,001 lbs.-9,000 lbs. GVWR 28" front 30" rear
9,001 lbs.-11,000 lbs. GVWR 30" front 30" rear
from frame or factory bumper
(which ever is higher)

3 inch body lift max.

Frame height
5,000 lbs. or less GVWR 24" front 26" rear
5,001 lbs.-7,000 lbs. GVWR 27" front 29" rear
7,001 lbs.-9,000 lbs. GVWR 28" front 30" rear
9,001 lbs.-11,000 lbs. GVWR 30" front 30" rear
Tires may Not stick out past fenders. This is strict where I am but lax in other areas.

Flares are allowed but no more than 3 inches wide.

Edit : PA is likely to change this law to frame height only.

Rear Block
3" block in rear max
(suv) max rear is 1"

Shackle
2" over factory length shackle max

And headlight
(truck) headlights below 54 inches
(suv) Headlights must be below 48" from top of headlight

Dead Link Removed

Note Pa is kinda odd with the differences from SUV to truck. You can register your Explorer as a truck or as a wagon. When registered as a truck my understanding is your ex is goverened by the laws of truck and not those of SUV. If registered as a truck you will have "truck" on your plate.

:bounce: NEW MEXICO

The restrictions this state has are that headlamps can't be higher than 54 inches, and taillamps can't be higher than 72 inches. However, it's no-holds-barred on the type of lift used. :D

Utah

You would think that Utah would be pretty liberal with their lift laws considering it is home to the Mecca of offroad, Moab. But they're not. They change it every year and nobody really knows the laws. I had to go to five different shops just to find one that knew the current law on body lifts and then they failed me. :banghead: They body lift law is currently a max. 3 inches between frame and body so with the bushings sitting at about 1.25" the biggest you could go is 1.5" there was a time that you could add a 3" body lift, but I guess they changed the wording of the law. Since I failed the inspection I didn't have current registration so I was pulled over by a highway patrolman and his advise was to get a suspension lift so that it wouldn't be so noticeable that it was all body lift. I thought it was a little odd that the solution to my illegal lift would be a bigger lift, but hey I'd better do as the officer says, right? ;)

hmmm about the explorer being a passenger vehicle i belevie the 1st gens are still trucks correct, i know my 85 4unner was a truck, but my truck passed VA state after i put covers on the fog lights, they dont have to measure bumper height, they can get yu with the turning radius though.

In PA none of the Explorers were never trucks. Bronco's, K5's. Suburbans, are all station wagons.

well i guess the cops here in pennsylvania ain't gonna be happy wit my 91xlt wit a full size 44 SAS wit 38x15.5 tsl's

NJ was always the armpit of america and still sounds like it is :fire:

washington is the best! body 3" max suspension wahtever you want. how about 12" suspension 3" body and 38" tires

i am no longer sure of this. i have now read 2 different things in 2 different places.

HAHA north carolina is so north carolina

NORTH CAROLINA

Don't even think about going higher than 6 inches from the factory height - unless, of course, you get a written OK from the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. You don't need a permission slip if yours is a multipurpose ride atop a truck chassis that sees some dirt.

HAHA

So i cant lift my truck... but if i put a Chevette body on top its OK!

Noved87 said:
washington is the best! body 3" max suspension wahtever you want. how about 12" suspension 3" body and 38" tires

Well actually according to the DOL it is based on bumper height, and the tread of the tire must be covered by the mud flap.

<4500 GVWR=24" front 26" rear

4501-7500 GVWR=27" front 29" rear

7501-10000=28" front 30" rear

Meaning I can go up 3 more inches :thumbsup:

anyone know the laws in florida on lights on your roof? namely, do you need the covers on them? thanks, todd.

toddious said:
anyone know the laws in florida on lights on your roof? namely, do you need the covers on them? thanks, todd.

Todd, i had 4 Pro Comp 6"s on the roof of my Jeep, and never ran them covered, Never ahd a problem with police sayign anything bout them. Even when i was pulled over he didnt say anythign bout them...

here is a nice little page Dead Link Removed

XplorerKid said:
Todd, i had 4 Pro Comp 6"s on the roof of my Jeep, and never ran them covered, Never ahd a problem with police sayign anything bout them. Even when i was pulled over he didnt say anythign bout them...

thanks for the tip.... so xplorerkid, when we meeting up to go offroadin? we're close enough, we definately should. todd.

that truck is bad!!
chevy-9.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

toddious said:
thanks for the tip.... so xplorerkid, when we meeting up to go offroadin? we're close enough, we definately should. todd.

As soon as i get my next rig built, in the process of selling my jeep.... Ill let you know when i get my next rig trail worthy....

Back