• Register Today It's free!

lift with only shocks

elementguy13

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
alright, i'm new to the bored. I've owned a 00' xlt ex for about a year now and i really want to raise it but im in college and short on cash right now :p

my question is.. can i lift my explorer with only shocks?

like these hydro shocks:
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/W_shocks_Superlift_Ford.htm

it says 4" lift with 00 ex

sorry if this is a completely stupid question which i'm sure it is.
thanks!

*edit* okay i figured out with my continuing research that this was indeed a stupid question and I need a lift kit to go along with it.
but how can i get a cheap lift on my explorer. 2" perhaps? Besides bigger tires. (im only on 28's right now but with good tread)

I have not tried them personally but I do know airshocks will lift the vehicle quite a bit. Airshocks make for a stiff ride but an Explorer rides pretty stiff anyway. One thing I would like to recommend is aftermarket Shackles. I added these to my 2000 when I had it and it was pretty easy. I seem to recall the price being close to the shock prices you have on the link and they work with all your standard equipment. Just a thought.

Search TT(Torsion Twist) and shackles. There is plenty of info on that, it gives you about 1.5-2 inches of lift. I know you said besides tires, but just for future reference you can fit 31"s under your explorer without a lift(possible minor rubbing) and will definitely clear 31"s with the TT/shackles.

Also i would stay away from air leveling shocks. While they can lift your ride height it places much more stress on the shock mounts, which were not intended to lift the vehicle.

If you are going to lift it with air, I would suggest air bags, and not the air shocks. I have an air bag setup for hauling extreme tongue weight, and it lifts the rear up if I'm not super loaded.

Back